• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2022, 08:54:32 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

WW2 germans advice needed

Started by Ash p, May 11, 2022, 08:20:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash p

Hi everyone,

I need some advice...

What transport would a german FOO use (Kubelwagen, Horch 1A or Sd.kfz 223).
I also need a small command vehicle for a HQ base, would a Beckers command vehicle work

What Artillery support would they have at a Battalion level, there is a 10.5cm field howitzer or the bigger 15cm Howitzer?

Thanks

Daniel Phillips

QuoteWhat Artillery support would they have at a Battalion level, there is a 10.5cm field howitzer or the bigger 15cm Howitzer?

A battalion had it's own 5cm and 8cm mortars.
A regiment of 3 battalions had an Infantry Gun Company with six 7.5cm infantry guns and two 15cm infantry guns.
A division had 3 infantry regiments and one artillery regiment with three batteries of four 105mm field guns.
Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.<br />Current games & armies played- 40K 2nd Edition: Eldar, Chaos, Orks, Imperial Guard, Space Marines. Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

Mike Whitaker

For the FOO it's probably up to you - Mine tend to zoom around in Kubelwagens, or an R75 + sidecar

HQ - there's a command version of both the 250 and 251 halftracks with a big 'bedframe' antenna.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Martin S-C

It would depend on what the unit was - infantry, cavalry or mechanised. Cavalry would have horses or a kubel probably. However under campaign conditions almost anything is okay, including a captured civilian car. Never an armoured vehicle though, unless the spotter is for a panzer grenadier unit as they were too valuable.
Cheers
Martin

Ne Plus Ultra - My 18thC Imagi-Nations Campaign, 1/72nd Plastics, Old School Rules

Interests: ECW, WSS, WAS, SYW, 18th C imagi-nations, Victorian Wars, Post-WWI what ifs, WWII (Command Decision)... most other periods involving gunpowder!

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on May 11, 2022, 11:49:52 pmFor the FOO it's probably up to you - Mine tend to zoom around in Kubelwagens, or an R75 + sidecar

HQ - there's a command version of both the 250 and 251 halftracks with a big 'bedframe' antenna.

SdKfz 250/3 or 250/5, 251/3
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Daniel Phillips on May 11, 2022, 11:08:02 pm
QuoteWhat Artillery support would they have at a Battalion level, there is a 10.5cm field howitzer or the bigger 15cm Howitzer?

A battalion had it's own 5cm and 8cm mortars.
A regiment of 3 battalions had an Infantry Gun Company with six 7.5cm infantry guns and two 15cm infantry guns.
A division had 3 infantry regiments and one artillery regiment with three batteries of four 105mm field guns.

Dan's pretty much right for a generic infantry company - TFL's Battle for Liberation for IABSM has some of the alternatives for Volksgrenadier, Panzergrenadier etc.

Ash p

Thanks for all the answers. You've given me lots of options to look at.