• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2022, 08:42:49 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Junior Wargamers Day at the George Alcock Centre

Started by colinabrett, May 11, 2022, 02:52:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colinabrett

You may remember a couple of weeks ago, Rebecca at GAC floated the idea of running a games day for 'junior wargamers'. This is for the Stanground community and beyond as a way of getting kids away from their screens.

We have been trying to nail down dates for this event. Initial thoughts were:

Monday 30th May to Sunday 5th June is Half-Term holidays

This coincides with the Queen's Platinum Jubilee from Thursday 2nd June to Sunday 5th June.

Given the possibility of street parties happening over the long (four-day Bank Holiday) weekend, Rebecca's original idea was for Monday 30th May or Tuesday 31st May. Of these, 31st May is a better 'fit' for a Community Day.

This is about three weeks away. Could we run a games day at such short notice? Particularly after a normal Monday games night. I remember that there was interest from Grahame Middleton and Andy Miller to help out, both of whom have current DBS checks in place (mine is in progress but I don't know if it will be completed in time).

If this isn't possible for us (and Rebecca fully understands) her suggestion is to arrange such a day during the school Summer Holidays. The exact date is still in the air and to be arranged later.

So, are either of these date ranges acceptable or doable for the Club? (Particularly 31st May).

Please let me know what you think is or is not possible.

Thanks,
Colin

Grahame

I could  do the Tuesday 31st - what age range? How many? All day? etc etc. Would it be part of other activities going on or are we thinking stand alone? We need to talk this through in more detail.
Grahame

Rob Farley

Agreed that we need more details. Who is this aimed at, kids who already wargame or kids in general? What kind of games are you thinking of running (probably ties into my first question)?
Current games (and armies) played: Rumbleslam, Street Fighter Miniatures, Saga, Marvel Crisis Protocol, Gaslands, Lion/Dragon Rampant, Frostgrave, Stargrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), Judge Dredd Miniatures, Mobile Frame Zero, Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Warpath

Current Projects: Various halflings, Rumbleslam wrestlers, Superheroes, Sludge Samurai