• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

November 27, 2021, 06:32:16 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

1645 -:Campaign Dispatches

Started by Carl Fisher, October 19, 2021, 09:28:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fisher

A true and accurate description of the recent activities of his Majesties loyal subjects in the Borderlands of Scotland.

A dispatch from Prince Maurice to his Majesty at Oxford.

As commanded we sought to unite with your Majesties loyal subjects in Scotland, under The Marques of Montrose, your Majesties Captain General of Scotland, who has lately left Carlisle.

After a brief meeting we were informed that a group of Rebel horse from Chester were seeking to espy our position. They were supported by a small force landed from the sea on the Solway firth.

We met on the Solway flats, under a severe sea fog.

Seeking out the enemy, we found ourselves separated from our Scottish allies, and facing the enemy force alone we sought to delay them, and observe there numbers.

We can report a large force of horse, well equipped, and experienced, mainly dragoons. The ship force was rougher and mainly poorly armed seamen, who preferred to use the marshy ground to keep out of contact.

Having taken a number of casualties, we sought to withdraw and report the proceedings to your Majesty.

We found our Scottish allies to be unreliable and uncoordinated. We did send word of our success in identifying the enemy, and suggest they withdrew, but they were still keen to engage the enemy, so some were still fighting as night fell and all forces retired.

However we did ensure that the Captain General was able to proceed North to raise more forces 

We propose to continue on our Northern progress, encouraging forces to muster and march south to join your Majesty.

Your servant and loyal nephew

Maurice
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andy Miller

ECW Parliamentarian armies. Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada.

Andy Miller

An account given by John Farmer esquire to Colonel Okey of the creditable deeds of his Dragoons

Sir I wish to report the actions of the party of Dragoons you sent from Chester to scout towards Carlisle and on into Scotland. On arrival in the area of Carlisle we had good intention to press North and meet with the naval party landed at the Solway Firth as prescribed. However, while tending to our horse at this location we received information that a band of hostile Montrose Scots were pushing South. Showing great haste we forged ahead at first light meeting up with our naval counter-parts. A more scurrilous band of brigands I have rarely seen. I shall speak more of these later.
Seeking to locate the Scots we ventured forth as a rather unorthodox alliance. The sea fog was still heavy across the Solway Flats. After much probing and scouting through a most unfriendly boggy morass we fell upon a gathering of royalist horse, we assumed their intent to join with and guide the Scots. After trading fire with a small force of Shotte and Dragoons attached to these Horse, our Dragoons, with the much needed support of the Naval musketeers saw this force pushed off and away into the fog. The Royalist commander of the Horse, lacking any strength of foote saw the situation untenable and in an attempt to have his men withdraw took mighty strong fire from all sides before fleeing the field.
A short time later the men of Montrose hove into view to our left flank I must state at this point the sailors acquitted themselves well indeed, showing a fine fighting spirit at times having scant regard for their own souls in a willingness to press home the attack on the Scots. Your Dragoons again gave fire in support of this attack seeing the Scots driven back.
May I conclude this report by reinforcing my praise of the Navy and their efforts in enabling myself to fulfill your orders. The Scots were located and pushed back with the local Royalist horse left bloodied.
Your humble servant
John Farmer
ECW Parliamentarian armies. Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada.

Martin S-C

Great reports Gentlemen, keep them coming.
Cheers
Martin

Ne Plus Ultra - My 18thC Imagi-Nations Campaign, 1/72nd Plastics, Old School Rules

Interests: ECW, WSS, WAS, SYW, 18th C imagi-nations, Victorian Wars, Post-WWI what ifs, WWII (Command Decision)... most other periods involving gunpowder!

Carl Fisher

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Carl Fisher

A true and accurate description of the recent activities of his Majesties loyal subjects in the middle shires of England.

A true and accurate description of the recent activities of his Majesties loyal subjects in the Borderlands of Scotland.

Having return to join your Majesties Army at Oxford. Our forces have been securing essentials for the forthcoming campaign.

We wish to announce a successful raid, to collect sufficient provender for our armies.

In this case a large herd of fair cattle, confiscated from certain local rebels.

As a result of this certain disloyal subjects attempted to prevent our passage.

We firstly sought  to avoid them, as not wishing to harm the more general populace, however they gathered in considerable force, and block our path. We were forced as a result to take action.

Our dragoons commenced to play their muskets on them, and encouraged a large number to disperse. However a small local regiment of foot needed stiffer action, and so we sent forward a troop of horse to disperse their pike.

Eventually once the local magnate, who had instigated this impedance of our purpose, had been driven away, the remaining forces finally dispersed to their homes, leaving us to return to camp.

We are now arranging for the slaughter and salting of these cattles, and will dispatch the casks forthwith to your Majesty.

Your servant and loyal nephew

Maurice.

Andy Miller

A further report from the hand of John Farmer Esquire, to Colonel Okey,
Sir,
I wish to report the latest creditable actions of your detachment of dragoons under my command. On our ordered reconnoitre back from Chester to rejoin your co-ordinated forces we encountered a large band of foote on its way to Oxford. While they passed North I wished to give them wide berth and report on their presence, it was not to be.
On tracking around this force we were able to identify the standard of Lord Phillips, assuming them to be commanded by one of his sons. The honourable gentleman's ill health is well documented and from their haste and impeccable timing believed them to be at the hands of the younger brother.
There forces continued to push our horse wide and pressure us with a combined show of strength. Initial volleys were made to try and keep distance, but they maintained their course. A troope of gallopers rode at us causing our horse to scatter, but your men's training showed through. The weight of musketry meeting this cavalry from all directions cut them down where they stood. The ordered volley and movement continued to wear at the Royalists with two more of their units fleeing the field. Even the commanded shotte attached to us managed to survive a charge by a block of pike by using a wood to blunt its ferocity.
After damaging their fighting capacity I saw it prudent to break away to preserve your troops, suffering only minor casualties. Your dragoons performed without fault or hesitation.
In short Royalists forces gather at Oxford
Your humble servant
John Farmer Esq

Martin S-C

Great stuff gents. I am following this completely unbiased account of the ware in absentia!
Cheers
Martin

Ne Plus Ultra - My 18thC Imagi-Nations Campaign, 1/72nd Plastics, Old School Rules

Interests: ECW, WSS, WAS, SYW, 18th C imagi-nations, Victorian Wars, Post-WWI what ifs, WWII (Command Decision)... most other periods involving gunpowder!