• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2022, 04:05:03 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Wars of the Roses campaign 2022.

Started by Carl Fisher, December 04, 2021, 05:48:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Mac

I'm in although my plans to create a mercenary Lord of Isles force has been scuppered by the army lists 😢. Will have to think of a plan B!!

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Andy Miller on January 13, 2022, 08:43:57 pmMr Hawes,
Would that be the Earl Bernard of Deliasmith who has the squires Matt Hews and Beau Tiffle, with the drummer from Turkey?

Hope they do better than the Canaries are at the moment!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Carl Fisher

For those who are interested, I have an original copy of the Kingmaker board game. We will use this as the basis of a campaign map.

The aim of the campaign will be to gain control/influence over or eliminate the main contenders for the throne.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andrew Riley

Carl - if you need a second copy (spare cards or something) let me know. I have a one also - sadly never played it. But the rules for battle looked quite neat and tidy. Bought 15mm men-at-arms to paint and stick on the counters but never got round to that either. Looking forward to the campaign.

Mike Whitaker

What have folks settled on for a basing standard?
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Carl Fisher

January 16, 2022, 06:33:25 pm #20 Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:06:14 pm by Carl Fisher
Quote from: Mike Whitaker on January 16, 2022, 04:09:36 pmWhat have folks settled on for a basing standard?
I used 20mm square basing for my WotR army.

However my ECW army uses 1p bases.

Both are then deployed on Warbases movement trays, either 6*2 or 3*2 X 2 for units of 12 models.

For horse I stick to 25*50, but I do like the look of the losenge bases used by Baron War, but for the present I just stick to rectangles.

For Artillery I have custom Warbases bases to hold the 4 crew on pennies.

Note this works for both Lion Rampant and Nevermind the Billhooks!

Rob Farley

I like the look of the new conquistador miniatures from Wargames Atlantic. Would these be suitable for use as European mercenaries, or are they too contemporary?
Current games (and armies) played: Rumbleslam, Street Fighter Miniatures, Saga, Marvel Crisis Protocol, Gaslands, Lion/Dragon Rampant, Frostgrave, Stargrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), Judge Dredd Miniatures, Mobile Frame Zero, Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Warpath

Current Projects: Various halflings, Rumbleslam wrestlers, Superheroes, Sludge Samurai

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Rob Farley on January 17, 2022, 06:22:41 pmI like the look of the new conquistador miniatures from Wargames Atlantic. Would these be suitable for use as European mercenaries, or are they too contemporary?
Sadly about 100 years later. Would suit Border Reivers or Elizabethans perfectly.

They do look nice however!

AndyHawes

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on January 16, 2022, 04:09:36 pmWhat have folks settled on for a basing standard?

I'm doing '3, 2, 1' basing (as recommended in Pikeman's Lament) using 20mm as a basis, so each unit of 12 has 2 of 40x40 bases with 3 models, 2 of 20x40 with 2 models and 2 of 20x20 with 1 model. Cavalry has units of 6 with 2 of 50x50 with 2 models on and 2 of 25x50 with 1 model on. Should speed up movement a bit and as I'm using the teeny tiny super-slight Perry Plastics, I felt that 20mm was a better bet than 25mm as the basis...
Games Played and Armies owned or WIP: WAB (Arthurian Romano-British/Welsh, Early Byzantine; Late Roman, El Cid); Dux Brit (Romano-British), Dragon Rampant (Elves, Orcs, Arthurian British); Wars of the Republic (Early Republican Romans and Samnites (WIP); Late Republican Romans), Lion Rampant (Wars of the Roses (WIP), El Cid, Italo-Normans), The Men Who Would Be Kings (NW Frontier Anglo-Indians and Pathan Tribes, circa 1890, WW1Palestine/Syria/Back of Beyond British WIP); Fistful of Lead (US Cavalry and Native Americans (WIP)), WFB 4th/5th Ed (Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins).

Rob Brady

I would be interested, what are the time scales to get a army together?

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Rob Brady on January 25, 2022, 08:59:09 amI would be interested, what are the time scales to get a army together?

You have till May :)
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Carl Fisher

I have had some questions about how best to form a Retinue using a minimum of Perry Boxes - here is a suggestion based on the basic Noble Retinue.

This uses 2 boxes of WotR foot.

Using the maximum 18 billmen per box and 18 archers,

Gives 

2x Retinue Archers (expert) 12 points
2x Retinue Billmen 12pts
1x Foot men at arms 6pts (use the armoured command)

1x Militia Billmen 5pts
1x Militia Archers 4pts

Total 39pts

If you want some Scurrors and mtd men at arms, then the cheapest solution is a box of Light Horse, split them with the more armoured bodies as men at arms, and use some of the fuller helmets from all sets, use the lighter armoured as Scurrors! Perhaps enhance the difference by using the Lance arms only for the men at arms.

Obviously if you add a box of mercenaries as well your options multiply, remember the mercenary box can be used to create additional Billmen instead of pikes (12 halberd/bill heads are included).

You often see deals for three packs of Perry plastics.

Hope this helps the newbies to the period.

Obviously if you have other armies then a bit of subbing will be allowed, as long as it is obvious, 100 years war armies aren't too off, plus some of the older Warhammer Empire troops don't look to bad, a little later but not impossible! Likewise any Landsknecht armies will sub fine for Mercenaries. 

As long as it is obvious what troop type they are. If in doubt just ask!

tony

Reading up a little bit said that their was German/Swiss mercenary in the war if the oses so instead off buying more models can I use some of my Swiss, which in fact are old wargames foundry medieval minis

Tom G

Quote from: Carl Fisher on January 26, 2022, 03:59:53 pmI have had some questions about how best to form a Retinue using a minimum of Perry Boxes - here is a suggestion based on the basic Noble Retinue.

This uses 2 boxes of WotR foot.

Using the maximum 18 billmen per box and 18 archers,

Gives

2x Retinue Archers (expert) 12 points
2x Retinue Billmen 12pts
1x Foot men at arms 6pts (use the armoured command)

1x Militia Billmen 5pts
1x Militia Archers 4pts

Total 39pts

If you want some Scurrors and mtd men at arms, then the cheapest solution is a box of Light Horse, split them with the more armoured bodies as men at arms, and use some of the fuller helmets from all sets, use the lighter armoured as Scurrors! Perhaps enhance the difference by using the Lance arms only for the men at arms.

Obviously if you add a box of mercenaries as well your options multiply, remember the mercenary box can be used to create additional Billmen instead of pikes (12 halberd/bill heads are included).

You often see deals for three packs of Perry plastics.

Hope this helps the newbies to the period.

Obviously if you have other armies then a bit of subbing will be allowed, as long as it is obvious, 100 years war armies aren't too off, plus some of the older Warhammer Empire troops don't look to bad, a little later but not impossible! Likewise any Landsknecht armies will sub fine for Mercenaries.

As long as it is obvious what troop type they are. If in doubt just ask!

Thanks Carl.

I has just occurred to me that you do get a lot of spare arms/heads/billhooks so a bits swap is always an option if someone needs a few extra bills ect. I have a few spare bits somewhere.

Andy Mellor

Lion Rampant 2 Rules coming out in July. Should have some new scenarios to look at?