• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

August 09, 2022, 08:53:29 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

NOTICE OF CLUB EGM MONDAY 28TH FEBRUARY 2022 8:10PM

Started by Mike Whitaker, February 21, 2022, 07:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colinabrett

I have reservations about my own contribution to the AGM/EGM discussions. Yes, I know I handle the paperwork but I spend so much time recording (scribbling) everyone else's points that I have little opportunity to make my own. With this in mind, I'd like to add my thoughts here (as Mike has in the Forum thread).

Regarding a live show in 2022. Hereward is a great show, with a great reputation. Myself and Tom are willing to pitch in and help run a physical event if that's how the club votes. My own personal position is that I think it's too soon to commit to running a live show this year. The minutes from the 2022 AGM read:

"MW first reported that we have the technology to mount another Virtual Hereward Show. A slot has been booked at the Cresset but no charge has been levied so far. Given that Salute have postponed until 2023, MW suggested waiting until April to decide."

If we wait until April to decide, we may lose the Cresset as a venue (as they seem to want an answer asap). Even if we tell the Cresset on Tuesday 1st March that we want to go ahead, that only leaves us six months to arrange everything ready for the start of September. According to my notes, we started planning for Hereward 2019 in January. This means we've already lost two months of preparation time.

Nailing my colours to the mast here, I would say that a live Hereward show this year is too big a project in too short a time. It risks spoiling Hereward's (and the club's) reputation if we go off 'half-cocked'. Sorry.

There is an alternative. The 2022 AGM minutes also point out:

"RT expressed some doubts. The Show does not make money for the Club, so do we even want to do it? There seems to be a lack of membership effort in terms of manpower and enthusiasm. AMi agreed with these sentiments. RT further suggested a smaller Games Day/Open Day at the George Alcock Centre. AMac said he was not against a show but suggested 2 or 3 smaller events over the course of the year as an alternative."

(My italics for emphasis.)

This, I think, is our way forward for 2022. We could run a Games/Open Day at the start of the school summer holidays and then a second such event on the 'traditional' Hereward date at the end of summer. The emphasis on both these days would be to attract new members and advertise that Hereward will be back 'bigger and better than ever' in 2023. (Or words to that effect.)

I understand that all these points will be put to a vote. As Secretary, I will support the outcome of that vote and will give my best efforts into helping to arrange whatever course is taken. If the club decides to run the show, then essentially 'Go Live or Go Home'. Whatever we do, it can't be a half-hearted effort and we'll need all members' support to make it work.

A show - whether live or virtual or Open Days to attract members - is something we can control and plan for. What we can't do is plan for how Covid, or the Government and public, will change over the next six months. It's not a question of 'if' Omicron will mutate but 'when' and we don't know if that change will be more or less harmful.

I would dearly like to relax our approach to one of 'manners and common-sense' but I'm not sure that's enough. We're all adults and (I hope) sensible and respectful of other members' circumstances. From a personal point of view, my wife works in the care industry, with vulnerable people, and I can't risk contracting Covid over a game-table, passing it on to her and then to her clients. I side with Martin S-C's comment on the Forum that "Omicron might only give a 30-year old sniffles but could still kill a 98 year old." We still need to maintain pre-booking and mask-wearing in public areas of the Centre and if the gamers around your table express such a preference. I can do that, though I know it's not practical (or palatable?) to some members.

The above is all a bit 'ranty', so I apologise if I've sent you to sleep. Please let me know if there are points you seriously disagree with.

Colin

Reuben Turner

Quote from: colinabrett on February 27, 2022, 12:54:53 pm"RT expressed some doubts. The Show does not make money for the Club, so do we even want to do it? There seems to be a lack of membership effort in terms of manpower and enthusiasm. AMi agreed with these sentiments. RT further suggested a smaller Games Day/Open Day at the George Alcock Centre. AMac said he was not against a show but suggested 2 or 3 smaller events over the course of the year as an alternative."

And I stand by that comment now. I think we would be better off holding some "open days" at the GA (assuming it is avilable) and then planning for a full show in 2023.