• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2020, 03:07:11 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Server Updates

Started by Mike Whitaker, February 15, 2012, 04:25:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Whitaker

Yes. Everyone. The server was in bits on my kitchen table.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Rob Farley

Server was down from Monday evening (while we were at the club) until almost 4PM Wednesday when the new machine was brought online. Mike sent out various emails covering this, but for the benefit of anyone who didn't get them this was a terminal hardware failure and we are now on the shiny new box pictured above.

Given the severity of the problem I think Mike deserves a round of applause for getting us back up and running so quickly,
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Rob Farley on January 17, 2013, 03:47:55 pm
Given the severity of the problem I think Mike deserves a round of applause for getting us back up and running so quickly,

*blush*

To avoid taking undue credit - all that died was the UPS and the power supply. Unfortunately, the power supply for the old case was an integral part of the case (and also perhaps a little underspecified for the purpose), so I couldn't just swap it for a new one. All I had to do was buy a new (and roomier!) case and PSU, and swap the motherboard and disk drives across, which took me a whole 45 mins.
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Rob Farley

Given the standard set by our previous server admin, you can understand why I might be getting a little overenthusiastic about basic competence.  ;D
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Daniel Phillips

Mike - 2 hours to notice the issue and 2 days to fix.

Old admin - 2 days without noticing and 2 weeks to fully fix.
Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

GavinP

Yes. round of applause deserved.

Mr Grumpy. Especially when encountering rules he doesn't like apparently!

Gavin's Blog - http://www.britishforces.org.uk

Rob Farley

Quote from: Daniel Phillips on January 17, 2013, 05:01:35 pm

Old admin - 2 days without noticing and ignoring all emails telling him about it and 2 weeks to fully fix.

Updated for accuracy.

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Daniel Phillips on January 17, 2013, 05:01:35 pm

Old admin - 2 days without noticing and 2 weeks to fully fix.

Well, if you're going to be that pedantic:

Mike: 2 minutes after walking in the door to notice, 40 hours to fix.

Given the new UPS, I would have noticed while still at the club, as it will SMS me on loss of power :D

Paul Davies

QuoteGiven the severity of the problem I think Mike deserves a round of applause for getting us back up and running so quickly,

Indeed, couldn't agree more. I only mentioned the outage as I thought it was just me, didn't connect it with the new thingy or even consider that the whole shebang might have gone belly up for all - which I suppose is a testament to recent impeccability of service.
Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy!! Unimaginable power!!! Unlimited rice pudding!!!! Etcetera!!!!! Etcetera!!!!!!

Operation Squad, Bolt Action (Brits and Germans); Check Your Six!; Cold War (Arab-Israeli)/Future War Commander; Mordheim. Longing for a good fantasy ruleset and given up on 40K

"What did you do before alcohol became the centre of your universe?" "Homework."

Mike Whitaker

January 17, 2013, 10:45:48 pm #24 Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:52:42 pm by Mike Whitaker
As you may have noticed, we went down - we're now back with much tidier cables and a UPS :D

I would flag that our major remaining issue is that I don't have hot spares for the boot or data disks at present, or a backup power supply, which could result in downtime of circa '10 mins after PC World opens + however long it takes to restore' for the first and last of those, and 'running with no disk mirroring until I can buy a second drive' for the latter. As I personally think that's unacceptable (especially since I'm taking over hosting our church website next month) I'll be doing something about that :D

Rob: does SMF come with backup scripts?

Mike Whitaker

January 19, 2013, 11:15:09 am #25 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:46:48 pm by Mike Whitaker
Apologies for the short notice, but as I find myself with time on my hands, I will be upgrading the server to Ubuntu 12.10 over the next hour or so. Expect some downtime.

P.S. Ran a UPS test yesterday - worked a treat :D

P.P.S. slight delay as I wanted to take a full backup first :D

Mike Whitaker

All done.

There will be (yeah, yeah, I know) a longer period of downtime sometime in the next week to replace the boot disk with an SSD, adjust a bit of the partitioning scheme, and drop in an extra SATA card. I'll keep you posted.

Mike Whitaker

The site will be up and down several times today (Sat 26) while I do the aforementioned.

Mike Whitaker

I'll be doing a reboot late this evening (15th) for some security updates, and to repurpose the old boot disk as a logs drive. Down time should be circa 5 mins.

Mike Whitaker

Apologies for the downtime this am (Thursday 27 July) - the machine decided to eat all its free memory and go into terminal decline.

I nipped home to reboot it - now fixed. I may be rebooting it again this or next weekend for an OS update and possibly some more RAM.