• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

January 28, 2020, 10:10:23 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Server Updates

Started by Mike Whitaker, February 15, 2012, 04:25:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Whitaker

This topic is for status updates on the server that hosts the PWC website, forums and email.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Mike Whitaker

There will be some downtime later this week (or possibly early next) in order to replace one of the disks on the server. More accurate time and duration estimate when I have the disk and a plan.
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Mike Whitaker

Apologies for the overnight downtime, if any of our insomniacs were suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Apparently it was scheduled BT downtime of bits of the Peterborough exchange. Sufficiently scheduled that they didn't actually bother to tell anyone.

Disc swap should be happening this weekend - watch this space for downtime.

Rob Farley

As it happens, it went down while I was in the middle of posting something. Not amused.  >:(
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Rob Farley on February 28, 2012, 09:47:07 am
As it happens, it went down while I was in the middle of posting something. Not amused.  >:(

Not half as unamused as the local friend who manages the ADSL for various P'boro businesses and got a 1am phone call as a result, I suspect. He was markedly dischuffed this morning.

Mike Whitaker

I have made a slight change to the config of the line the server is hosted on: basically, my ISP occasionally rolls out new code on one of a pair of machines, and then switches lines over to the new code in the small hours of the morning (to minimise disruption if the new code isn't up to snuff). The switch is done automatically, and I get to choose the time. Since evidently some people *do* post at 1 or 2 am, I've set the line to switch at 4am, so in the unlikely event of their being a switchover and it failing for a few minutes, no-one sane (hah) should be affected.

Oh, also? We're on the 80Mb/20Mb fibre test at present, so downloads should be *blindingly* fast.

Mike Whitaker

Advance warning - the server that hosts the forums will be going down briefly while alterations are made to our fusebox - this should be tomorrow morning sometime.

If I get time, I'll try and swap the drive at the same time.

Mike Whitaker

The site and server will be down for about 5 mins at about 5.30pm today (Thurs 5th), for security updates.

Mike Whitaker

Apologies for the half an hour downtime earlier this afternoon - this was due to a BT routing problem outside my control.

Mike Whitaker

Ok, now THAT one was entirely my fault, due to cocking up an upgrade that was supposed to result in about 2 mins or less downtime.

Expect another (hopefully brief) period of downtime early this (Thursday) evening while I finish off the job.

Mike Whitaker

More downtime, and hopefully the last.

The server that hosts the forums/website will be down for a chunk of Friday early evening while I (finally) replace a hard drive and upgrade the kernel.

Apologies for this - hopefully this will be the last time for a good long while.

Mike Whitaker

There will be some brief server downtime over this coming weekend (22nd/23rd) for security updates to the OS. I'll try and keep it to a minimum and not do it on an evening - will keep you posted as to precisely when.

Paul Davies

QuoteThere will be some brief server downtime over this coming weekend (22nd/23rd) for security updates to the OS. I'll try and keep it to a minimum and not do it on an evening - will keep you posted as to precisely when.

Not to worry, I'm sure we'll all be too busy shopping for/hiding/wrapping gifts this weekend what we should have done already!
Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy!! Unimaginable power!!! Unlimited rice pudding!!!! Etcetera!!!!! Etcetera!!!!!!

Operation Squad, Bolt Action (Brits and Germans); Check Your Six!; Cold War (Arab-Israeli)/Future War Commander; Mordheim. Longing for a good fantasy ruleset and given up on 40K

"What did you do before alcohol became the centre of your universe?" "Homework."

Mike Whitaker

It looks like my UPS is sitting downstairs here at Goods In, so there will be some downtime late this evening to redo the spaghetti around the new server and hook it up to the UPS.

Paul Davies

Did anyone else have problems getting on here yesterday afternoon, about 2pm onward?
Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy!! Unimaginable power!!! Unlimited rice pudding!!!! Etcetera!!!!! Etcetera!!!!!!

Operation Squad, Bolt Action (Brits and Germans); Check Your Six!; Cold War (Arab-Israeli)/Future War Commander; Mordheim. Longing for a good fantasy ruleset and given up on 40K

"What did you do before alcohol became the centre of your universe?" "Homework."