• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2020, 06:07:46 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

MONDAY 18TH MAY 2020

Started by Mike Whitaker, May 18, 2020, 12:44:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Whitaker

It's that time again. 8pm, https://meet.jit.si/PeterboroughWargamesClub, password in the members only forum.

* Will AndrewB or Grahame come tell us about their virtual game of SAGA? (c'mon guys, we know you have video :D)
* Has Mike done anything hobby related this week?
* What unexpected visitors will we have this week?
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Grahame

Does this work on a tablet or laptop?  Don't own a smart phone.
Grahame

Andrew Riley

PL in Lockdown - random thoughts stimulated by the Grid Based Wargames site.
Not sure if anything has appeared on the websites but thought why no one had tried PL on a grid based system for virtual games. Probably they have, but not seen it.
Consider a 6" x 6" grid on the normal 6' x 6' table.
The diagonal movement is always an issue but with PL it might be ok.
All normal rules apply except movement. If we accept groups of figures are nominally grouped in the centre of each square but also to fill it, then we make assumptions on movement.
Gallopers move 2sq vertically or horizontally, or one diagonally
Dragoons 2sq vertically or horizontally, or one diagonally
Trotters, Commanded Shot, Clansmen move 1sq any direction
Forlorn Hope, Pike, Shot 1sq vertically or horizontally
Evade:
Dragoons can evade Gallopers if they start more than 1 sq away
Shooting distances:
Trotters & Clubmen into the next sq
Dragoons & Commanded Shot 2 sq
Shot & Regimental Gun 3sq
Field Gun 8sq

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Andrew Riley on May 18, 2020, 02:49:20 pmThe diagonal movement is always an issue but with PL it might be ok.

Borrow the D&D/Pathfinder trick for diagonal movement/measurement on grids. Your first diagonal move costs 1sq. Your second costs 2, your third 1... (which is about as far as we need to go.)

Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Martin S-C

I would think that with PL its such a simple set of rules as regards flanks and direction, etc that it will work without a grid. All you need is still photos of the table every turn.

Andy Miller

Can't get Jitsi to work :(
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Andy Miller

Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Martin S-C

Sorry we missed you Andy. I just use it at home on my PC in a web browser though that may be of no help to you. :(

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Andy Miller on May 18, 2020, 08:37:41 pmCan't get Jitsi to work  :sad:

Ping me via mobile and I'll set up a call and see if we can sort you out.

Andrew Riley

Thanks Mike for the diagonal tip.
@Martin - yes I think you are right, wrote the post before the chat with Mr Beer and Saga encounter with Grahame.
My initial thoughts were that a grid might help with unit identification also, again Mr Beer didn't seem to experience this. What is frustrating, I threw away a useful webcam before the Lockdown.
Managing all those dice in a competent way worried me, hence I looked at the ECW D3 rules but they are too basic and don't seem to explain activation well. Mike's computer generated dice tool sounds good. Even better if it kept a record of results.

Martin S-C

I think there are several dice bots available free online. I presume we could find one that rolled the dice "publicly".