• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2020, 07:09:21 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

MONDAY MAY 11TH 2020

Started by Mike Whitaker, May 11, 2020, 02:39:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Whitaker

Another round of lockdown wargames chat...

Will Martin's camera work this time? (expected answer: no)
Will Colin remember this week? (hope so!)
Will we get any more surprise visitors (James B, Reuben, Gary!)
Can we organise a virtual game? (um, dunno!)

8pm. https://meet.jit.si/PeterboroughWargamesClub - password in the members only forum.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Andrew Riley

For 'Modern' players rather than seasoned Horse and Musket veterans. Ref short discussion on 2mm figures and 17/18th Century control of battalion formations - talking to re-enactors I find very useful. Seems a clear view of the centrally placed commander (Colonel) and standard was pretty critical combined with drums and bugles. 21-22" per man is often quoted so in 2deep line a company of 60 men would be about 18-20yds long but a 10 x company battalion 180-200yds. Forums will be full of the column v line debates. Sergeant Red or Lt Blue in charge of Company Y could be about 80yds away from the central command. A few paces in front of the line when advancing, or a few paces behind before musket discharge (and all that smoke) should provide a clear line of site to the centre command(on flat ground) not the undulating ground of Iberia. Far enough away to miss the command to form square at a critical moment. I think at Waterloo the Brits formed up 4 deep so shortening the line, but others will be far more knowledgeable. Much easier in column when only one company wide, and the others just follow those in front. I use Wikepedia for Orders of Battle and numbers of troops cross referenced with any decent books or magazine articles. Watching Horse Guards Parade also shows the challenges of achieving a straight line even in perfect conditions. Dominating drill master Sgt Major with a loud and reliable voice essential. Books I found useful were written by professionals with modern experience, the classics: Firepower - Major-General B.P. Hughes CB,CBE; Charge - Brig P.Young and Lt Col J.P.Lawford and of course good old David Chandler/Donald Featherstone.
But the modern Osprey books do it so well these days with beautiful diagrams and illustrations.