• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

March 30, 2020, 11:12:07 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Refighting the English Civil War

Started by Grahame, March 12, 2020, 09:05:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahame

Bearing in mind some of the erudite discussion on the PL campaign thread - what rules have you used to refight civil war battles and which best represent your view of what went on?
 The main issue I have had with many rule sets is how they represent foot regiments and the interplay between pike and supporting shot. I think we all agree that there was a difference between Royalist and Parliamentary horse but the balance did change as the war progressed - which rules handle that the best?
Which rules do you think are best for set piece engagements and which for the smaller local actions? We all have a notion of how it happened and my views are certainly based on experience as a reenactor as well as what I have read. I have a couple of rule sets that I haven't tried yet so if anyone is interested in trying out something new then let me know.
Grahame

Martin S-C

"Pike and Shot" seems to have some support. If you wanted to try out a biggish game on a Monday with 2/3 players a side and have a go with some different rules I'd be interested.

I haven't gamed the ECW since the 80s and I honestly can't recall what rules we used but it may have been WRG. We fought a great campaign based in Kent in 1642 with all kinds of petty interests, small garrisons and NIMBY commanders.

One of the things I think characterised the ECW over other wars of the same period and using the same troop types was the constraints of the campaign setting with fairly small armies, fairly provincial local interests which prevented, for quite some time, either side from assembling a big enough army to force a conclusion and the generally amateur generals and soldiers. Fighting in Britain was distinctly different to, say the fighting on the continent in the 30 Years War. I think a map campaign with various limitations placed on the player teams works best - not enough money, too few provisions, commanders and troops that refuse to operate outside their local areas and so on.

Carl Fisher

I own over a dozen ECW rule books, going back to the 1970s! Covering skirmishes to big battles. None reflect combined pike and shot well. But then I am not sure how well ECW armies managed the tactics any way.

In skirmishes pike tend to stand around doing nothing, leaving the fight to the Horse and Shot. In big battles there are many attempts to coordinate.

The rules I like best (not for accuracy but playability) are the Warhammer Historical, but they do need to be heavily house-ruled. 

Pike & Shot is OK but very broad brush. 

Perhaps the new Helion rules due out on April will be better! Who knows.

I must admit when I first played ECW in the 70s the rules were my own, and seemed to work well enough, but sadly I have lost the type written pages, no computers in those days, and parents had a habit of emptying your room when you left home, without checking what you wanted to keep!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

tony

March 13, 2020, 05:46:02 pm #3 Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:55:33 am by tony
Remember playing ecm with Reg Hallet always using WRG rules.
In fact all of us in the sealed knot at the time did

Mike Whitaker

I have a soft spot for well-umpired Warhammer ECW - if you play with period tactics, it's surprisingly good.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Andrew Riley

I think this is the new thread for Pinickers. I have WRG (1420 - 1700) by George Gush, Tercio by Peter Harris and the WRG DBR which was popular at one time but it was more for large scale battles with 15mm.
I like the idea of simple, elegant systems adapted with house rules/specific army lists and give a lot of weight to the experience of re-enacters who have been in the rugby scrum of a push of pike smothered in clouds of smoke. Do the musketeers really join in round the back or skulk off for a quick cuppa. Of course we all know walking the battlefield often gives great insight into the lack of line of sight available. Have not got WH ECW but will try to get a copy (have the Ancients version). I do like rolling a hand full of dice and counting the sixes.

tony

A guy on lead adventure forum is selling a copy cheap, along with a few other WAB books

Carl Fisher

I have a spare copy of WAB ECW, £15.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andrew Riley

Thanks Tony & Carl.
May as well take Carl's version thanks very much. Not sure when down club now but will try and get money to you somehow even if a quick visit to the club in an NBC suit.
Andrew

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Andrew Riley on March 19, 2020, 06:02:56 pmThanks Tony & Carl.
May as well take Carl's version thanks very much. Not sure when down club now but will try and get money to you somehow even if a quick visit to the club in an NBC suit.
Andrew
Sadly I will not be at club now until the lockdown ends, both wife and I are in the at risk group.

I can keep the book ready for you.

Collection may be possible, happy to handover at the door, pm me to arrange!