• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

May 25, 2020, 03:42:28 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Merricke Curtwell, a gentleman at warre

Started by Martin S-C, March 17, 2020, 04:50:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin S-C

March 17, 2020, 04:50:40 pm Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:55:26 pm by Martin S-C
I thought I'd drop this here in case anyone had a vague interest. I have now played three games of Pikeman's Lament, winning two and drawing one (but being in a winning stance as the clock ran out at 10:30pm). I thought I'd draw up an officer character this morning, rolling dice for his background and then his one gained trait. It strikes me that some of these traits might unbalance the game!

Officer Diary, Tuesday 17th March 164x:

Name: Merricke Curtwell

Honour: 25

Background: 12 - A man from the ranks who worked his way up to be an officer. The men of his company love him and will follow him unto death.

Traits:

1). Natural Leader = Each turn may re-roll one failed Move, Attack or Shoot test within 12" of his unit.

2). Musketry Master = Each turn, one unit within 12" of his unit may automatically pass a Shoot activation test without needing to roll dice.

Engagements:

1). Ga Pa, Monday 9th March 164x. Wee attacked a small village and drove away an enemy company led by Ensign Bernard. An enemee galloper unit was destroyed by our dragoons who defended a hedged field onn our right flanke and a dragoon unit of thee enemy who attacked our cannon near the village were routed by the fire of our shotte and cannon and push of pike. Oure company suffered few losses. Our company was Shot x 2, Pike x 1, Trotters x 1, Dragoons x 1, Regimental Gun x 1.

Honour 10+5 = 15.

2). Ga Pa, Monday 16th March 164x. We were attacked by an enemee company led by Ensign Andrew in a region of open lande with some rises to oure left and a small copse on our right. An enemy galloper unit was destroyed and a pike unit routed. Oure company suffered few losses, most noteably half of our Galloper troop and a third of our commanded shotte. Our company was Shot x 1, Veteran Shot x 1, Trotters x 1, Gallopers x 1, Dragoons x 1, Commanded Shot x 1.

Honour 15+5 = 20, promoted lieutenant. Gained Musketry Master trait.

3). Ga Pa, Monday 16th March 164x. In concert with the aforementioned defeated Ensign Andrew who became oure ally, wee attacked an enemy company led by Ensign Andy. Oure half-company was posted on the right flanke in an area of hills and a small wood with a ruined church to the front. An enemy galloper unit was destroyed by Ensign Andrew on our left front and a commanded shot unit routed by our dragoons in the wood. Oure half-company suffered almost no losses, though Ensign Andrew had one shot unit wavering and his pikes very much weakened. The half-company was Shot x 1, Gallopers x 1, Dragoons x 1. Oure ally Ensign Andrew led Shot x 2, Pike x 1.

Honour 20+5 = 25.

Martin S-C

For some reason my image hosting site images won't display. I can right click on the broken image link and see the image that way but the forum software isn't displaying them correctly.

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Martin S-C on March 17, 2020, 04:56:52 pmFor some reason my image hosting site images won't display. I can right click on the broken image link and see the image that way but the forum software isn't displaying them correctly.

It is for me on iPhone.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Andrew Riley

Images look great to me - very nice.  Can't comment on the officer character traits. Except that it is a popular rule set so must kind of even out both sides in the long run eg Campaign

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Martin S-C on March 17, 2020, 04:50:40 pmI thought I'd drop this here in case anyone had a vague interest. I have now played three games of Pikeman's Lament, winning two and drawing one (but being in a winning stance as the clock ran out at 10:30pm). I thought I'd draw up an officer character this morning, rolling dice for his background and then his one gained trait. It strikes me that some of these traits might unbalance the game!

Natural leader and musketeer mastery are probably the best two traits as your more likely to get 7+ rolls off, so will unbalance the game. If you have a field gun and mastery then definitely a game winner and not an enjoyable game for your opponent.

Some officers are only good for challenging better ones and hopefully killing them off!

Martin S-C

March 18, 2020, 02:22:55 pm #5 Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:25:10 pm by Martin S-C
I actually thought the traits overpowered him, but they were genuine die rolls.

Perhaps PL players could keep their officer between casual games so we end up with some kind of history for them all, that way we get a continuity even without a campaign. I'd like to try some scenarios other than line up and start killing as well.

If we were to do such a thing I'd reset Mr Curtwell and begin again, or park him aside for my own private campaign use.

EDIT: And in other news I have bought myself a pre-painted army. I just need some dragoons now.

Andy Miller

Martin,
I think Grahame will do the roll for characters at the beginning of the campaign. The rolls you had were probably the best two you could have got. As I mentioned on the night I got the double six in our first campaign and it was a real advantage to re-roll a failed order.
I do like the battle reports and wish we had the time to play it out as the next turn would have been the turning point. The skirmish between Dragoons would have been interesting, but both of Andrew's units were reaching critical mass on your left. I would come down to whether they held or not.
A good learning pair of games all the same.
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Martin S-C

I made the mistake of not skirmishing forwards into the wood on my right with my dragoons. I completely forgot they had that ability - still learning the rules.

As for my game summaries I was just going on the position as it was when we ran out of time. I find its easier to say there was a thunderstorm, or night fell and the battle ended at that point. Otherwise post-battle frothing can just go on and on about the what-ifs!

For my own interest I am thinking of adding some personal rules to PL so that things are less amorphous and furry and a bit more tactical. I like the rules and I appreciate they deliver a very fast game but they just seem too vague. My intention is to sharpen them up a bit for play when I have an all day game at home.