• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2021, 11:12:18 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

1645 Pikeman's Lament

Started by Grahame, March 04, 2020, 03:48:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller

Grahame,
I'm toying with a new force idea. Are we playing Dragoons as written or club rules? If so what are the club rules and are "elite" affected?
Probably easiest to chat this over at the club.
Andy
ECW Parliamentarian armies. Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada.

Martin S-C

I think Grahame moves them as either mounted (12") or dismounted (6") and its an action to dismount or mount, so rather nerfs them WRT the original rules.

I'd prefer to see pikes beefed up as they seem very weak in the main rules and there should be a few more of them used in games.
Cheers
Martin

Ne Plus Ultra - My 18thC Imagi-Nations Campaign, 1/72nd Plastics, Old School Rules

Interests: ECW, WSS, WAS, SYW, 18th C imagi-nations, WWII (Command Decision)... most other periods involving gunpowder! Nothing after 1945.

Grahame

Hi Andy -I'll chat this over at the club. Dragoons normally operate as per the rules except when doing a bigger battle.
PL is a skirmish game so pikemen  would be seen less often although they do have their place in some scenarios.
Grahame

Grahame

September 09, 2021, 12:25:59 pm #63 Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 12:29:27 pm by Grahame
The start date is 18th Oct. We will then fight again third Monday in November. We will give December a miss and start again in January with the last round in April 22. I am awaiting confirmation from a couple of people but it looks like we will have at least six on each side with some new armies taking part. I would like army lists for the start of October please. I have attached the army list document again below. Any questions etc please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Grahame
I seem to have attached it twice! They are the same....

Tom G

'A limber is an upgrade and costs 2 pts.'

Is that new for this campaign? If not I apologise to everyone I have ever played because I have never paid 2 points for a limber for my field gun...

Tom G

Is anyone else planning on doing the royalist northern horse? I am considering it.

Martin S-C

Quote from: Tom G on September 09, 2021, 06:22:35 pm'A limber is an upgrade and costs 2 pts.'

Is that new for this campaign? If not I apologise to everyone I have ever played because I have never paid 2 points for a limber for my field gun...
I am pretty sure field guns can't move, so they don't need a limber. I think galloper guns need one.
Cheers
Martin

Ne Plus Ultra - My 18thC Imagi-Nations Campaign, 1/72nd Plastics, Old School Rules

Interests: ECW, WSS, WAS, SYW, 18th C imagi-nations, WWII (Command Decision)... most other periods involving gunpowder! Nothing after 1945.

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Martin S-C on September 09, 2021, 08:49:52 pm
Quote from: Tom G on September 09, 2021, 06:22:35 pm'A limber is an upgrade and costs 2 pts.'

I am pretty sure field guns can't move, so they don't need a limber. I think galloper guns need one.

That was why the limber was introduced, since field guns can't move if you lost a game, your gun was abandoned on the battlefield never to return. Limber allowed for it to retreat and be recovered!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Tom G

Quote from: Martin S-C on September 09, 2021, 08:49:52 pmI am pretty sure field guns can't move, so they don't need a limber. I think galloper guns need one.

Page 3:

' A field gun may have a limber but this can only be used to drag the gun off the field NOT to advance or reposition the gun. It takes a move activation to limber and moves at 6". You must have an actual limber model to do this. Should the field gun be in a fixed emplacement then the crew abandon the gun. A limber is an upgrade and costs 2 pts '

You are correct, field guns cannot move and galloper guns do need a limber and can move. However, the limber was added as a campaign addition in order to withdraw field guns from the battlefield but not to move them to a move advantageous position.

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Tom G on September 09, 2021, 06:30:17 pmIs anyone else planning on doing the royalist northern horse? I am considering it.

You mean the 'lots of horses and some poor mugs with muskets trailing forlornly after' army?
Tempted :D
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Martin S-C

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on September 10, 2021, 12:21:11 pm
Quote from: Tom G on September 09, 2021, 06:30:17 pmIs anyone else planning on doing the royalist northern horse? I am considering it.

You mean the 'lots of horses and some poor mugs with muskets trailing forlornly after' army?
Tempted :D
A fair description of pretty much every army ever, until some clever-dick invented the half-track ;)
Cheers
Martin

Andy Miller

Are half-tracks for shotte also 2pts extra?
ECW Parliamentarian armies. Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada.

Martin S-C

I think the advanced rules (silly version) has them at 2000 pts extra. So they are pretty rare on the battlefield.
Cheers
Martin

Tom G

Does anyone know if we have to pay for heroes and allocate them to units in our submitted 36 point army list? So if I wanted say 4 heroes that would mean I then can only spend 32 points on units.

Or can we just take them as needed for each game and pay the 1 point cost?

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Tom G on September 17, 2021, 04:51:10 pmDoes anyone know if we have to pay for heroes and allocate them to units in our submitted 36 point army list? So if I wanted say 4 heroes that would mean I then can only spend 32 points on units.

Or can we just take them as needed for each game and pay the 1 point cost?
I am sure Grahame can clarify, but as I understand it they come from the 36 Pts, so would leave 32 Pts for units. Also they need to be assign to a unit permanently in you list. So can't float around the army,
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!