• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2020, 08:41:41 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Colin's projects for 2020

Started by colinabrett, February 24, 2020, 07:57:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

colinabrett

I know we're nearly 1/6 of the way through 2020 but I've only just decided to post this. I'm working on a couple of things this year and am wondering if anyone is interested in joining in.

1) Bolt Action / Rogue Trader (aka BART)

A resurrection of the original 40K rules, with a smattering of 2nd Edition added, and welded to the Bolt Action activation system (with a bit thrown in from the Antares game to cover units with multiple order dice). I have enough old school 40K figures to put together a game without too much difficulty but anyone can bring their own units. As for size of battles, or points values, I'm aiming for Rogue Trader's original skirmish level encounters of a couple of dozen figures per side, maybe including a vehicle or dreadnought once we've settled on the rules.

2) Modern and Ultramodern rules

This seems to be a period not often played at the club and I understand it can be a bit 'iffy' when it comes to real-world conflicts. I got three sets of rules for my birthday: Spectre Operations (Spectre Miniatures), Black Ops (Osprey) and Zona Alfa (also Osprey). This is very much in its infancy, as I don't have any modern miniatures yet. If anyone's interested in joining in, I'd anticipate a low model count and a few rounds of testing to see which set of rules best fits the club's play style.

If anyone's interested in joining in, please let me know, either through this thread or at the club.

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Andrew Riley

Hi Colin - I'd like to give either of these a go - don't think I will have time for both. I have some old 40K Orks, Necrons and Ultra Marines (some ex Space Crusade). Never heard of Rogue trader so will need educating please.

I am very happy to buy small numbers of new figures. Agree we should stay well clear of near/current conflicts but fictional James Bond stuff should be ok. I have some Vietnam 1/72 plastics and 1980's 1/300 micro armour. Still a fan of WRG rules but happy to give new ones a go.

Could you bring your Osprey rules to the club and let me have a quick look through ?
Thanks

Daniel Phillips

Really like the sound of the Bolt Action/Rogue Trader. I've plenty of figures (orks, eldar, imperial guard, chaos and genestealer cult) and most of the RT and 2nd Ed rulebooks etc.

Quote from: Andrew Riley on February 25, 2020, 08:43:44 pmNever heard of Rogue trader so will need educating please.
Rogue Trader is 1st edition 40K. It's a long way from the current rules but if you played 2nd edition that had a lot that was the same as 1st.
Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

colinabrett

Quote from: Andrew Riley on February 25, 2020, 08:43:44 pmHi Colin - I'd like to give either of these a go - don't think I will have time for both. I have some old 40K Orks, Necrons and Ultra Marines (some ex Space Crusade). Never heard of Rogue trader so will need educating please.

I am very happy to buy small numbers of new figures. Agree we should stay well clear of near/current conflicts but fictional James Bond stuff should be ok. I have some Vietnam 1/72 plastics and 1980's 1/300 micro armour. Still a fan of WRG rules but happy to give new ones a go.

Could you bring your Osprey rules to the club and let me have a quick look through ?
Thanks

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your interest.

As Dan mentions above, Rogue Trader was the original Warhammer 40000 rule set, but 40K in general is showing its age. I just thought breaking away from the I go/ You Go turns towards a dice- or card-activation system might be an interesting experiment. I have the rule book and various PDFs but, obviously, I can't upload them here.

I agree about staying well clear of current and modern conflicts. Your 'James Bond' suggestion is a good one and we can make things up as we go along. The movie Clear and Present Danger pits US special forces and CIA operatives against Colombian drug cartels. Even rival drug gangs would be possible. Would scenarios like that be acceptable? There are also the Zona Alfa rules from Osprey. These are a slightly-future fiction setting with teams exploring a radioactive wasteland for salvage.

I'll bring the books along on Monday and look forward to seeing what you think.

Regards,
Colin

colinabrett

Quote from: Daniel Phillips on February 26, 2020, 10:49:42 amReally like the sound of the Bolt Action/Rogue Trader. I've plenty of figures (orks, eldar, imperial guard, chaos and genestealer cult) and most of the RT and 2nd Ed rulebooks etc.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your interest. I've got the basic rules sorted out and a summary of the most common armies, some of which are a bit 'sketchy' as I didn't have the Codexes. I do have PDFs of the rules, Chapter Approved and the compendiums but can't upload them here.

Like you, I have many old-school figures and it would be great to dust them off.

I'm thinking of starting small, by replaying The Battle at the Farm from Rogue Trader. This could be done as a participation as there are at least half a dozen small squads and a couple of heroes. I'll supply all the figures for the game.

I'll upload my draft rules in a separate post.

Regards,
Colin

colinabrett

Hi All,

As mentioned up-thread, here are my draft rules and army stats for Bolt Action/Rogue Trader (aka BART). These are all theoretical at the moment and I'm happy to make any changes.

Regards,
Colin