• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 19, 2019, 11:46:49 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

November Gaming Day 2019

Started by martink0646, September 04, 2019, 06:58:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martink0646

Hi All,

Is this still a thing?  If so I was thinking (let me stress thinking) about a running a Bolt Action tournament again with the twist that it is for club members only. That way people can enter a tournament without all the attendant fears of entering as the opponents will all be familiar faces.

I don't know the available date & as Nov is a v.busy month on the BA scene it would need to be early for me to do anything.

Realistically we could have a working tournament with 6 players but obviously more is better. If we can get to 12 we can ask Warlord for prize support meaning goodies for club members  :wink:

I don't know what the level of support or interest within the club will be but I think it's worth floating the idea. I'm pretty sure Dave & Justin from the Huntingdon club will be up for it along with myself & the usual faces so I don't see this as being a major stretch especially if it doesn't snow this year  :grin: 

I know Rob will have some worthwhile input on this having successfully run two previous events. Feedback wanted so all chip in......

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos
28mm: Wish List - Hungarian/Romanian army
Cruel Seas: British & German starter forces.
Wish List: Star Wars Legion box set

Tom G

Quote from: martink0646 on September 04, 2019, 06:58:23 pmThat way people can enter a tournament without all the attendant fears of entering as the opponents will all be familiar faces.

Forgive my ignorance but why is this a thing so to speak? I'm genuinely curious as normally meeting new people in the hobby is a plus point of tournaments.

I am up for this though.

Gary Martin

Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Rob Farley

Quote from: martink0646 on September 04, 2019, 06:58:23 pmIs this still a thing?
There are no pre-booked gaming days if that's what you mean. If you want to run something pick a date and the committee will book it.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

martink0646

Quote from: Rob Farley on September 05, 2019, 01:55:10 am
Quote from: martink0646 on September 04, 2019, 06:58:23 pmIs this still a thing?
There are no pre-booked gaming days if that's what you mean. If you want to run something pick a date and the committee will book it.

OK Rob, thanks.

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos

martink0646

Quote from: Tom G on September 04, 2019, 08:16:35 pm
Quote from: martink0646 on September 04, 2019, 06:58:23 pmThat way people can enter a tournament without all the attendant fears of entering as the opponents will all be familiar faces.

Forgive my ignorance but why is this a thing so to speak? I'm genuinely curious as normally meeting new people in the hobby is a plus point of tournaments.

I am up for this though.

I've heard more than one person say that they wouldn't be interested in playing in tournaments. I think that it is possibly scarring from tournaments of other gaming systems or the thought of really serious, competitive play? There could be a host of other reasons admittedly.

I play a lot of tournaments (probably 17 by the end of this year) & I find them great fun...maybe because I don't take it too seriously & do not take too high a level of expectation into the event?

Anyways, if this is an easy fun introduction to tournaments for even one person then it will have been a good thing.

MartinK

Reuben Turner

Quote from: Tom G on September 04, 2019, 08:16:35 pmForgive my ignorance but why is this a thing so to speak? I'm genuinely curious as normally meeting new people in the hobby is a plus point of tournaments.

I am up for this though.

Power gamers that know the rules backwards and create forces that legal, but cheese.

Tournaments aren't for everyone!

Pippa Peile

Quote from: martink0646 on September 08, 2019, 10:39:50 am
Quote from: Tom G on September 04, 2019, 08:16:35 pm

I am up for this though.

I've heard more than one person say that they wouldn't be interested in playing in tournaments. I think that it is possibly scarring from tournaments of other gaming systems or the thought of really serious, competitive play? There could be a host of other reasons admittedly.

I play a lot of tournaments (probably 17 by the end of this year) & I find them great fun...maybe because I don't take it too seriously & do not take too high a level of expectation into the event?

Anyways, if this is an easy fun introduction to tournaments for even one person then it will have been a good thing.

MartinK

I've said things like this in the past!
I really like bolt action and would play it more, but know that it is a game that attracts the win-above-all-else crowd and as a relatively inexperienced player that is quite daunting. Very happy to play games that I don't know as well but it is no fun when you don't get a chance to do anything or learn anything because your opponent's sole objective is to wipe you off the table as quickly as possible.

It's not a problem for me playing against non-pwc members, but personally, I would be unlikely to play a competitive tournament either in or out of the club. However, I do appreciate that a lot of club members enjoy the competitive environment.

Rob Farley

The general Bolt Action tournament scene has got a lot more 'competitive' over the last couple of years (since the release of 2nd edition), to the point where it really is a win-at-all-costs kind of atmosphere.

Personally, I put it down to the fact that Warlord have put the Betts brothers in charge of their official events. Those guys always organised some ultra-competitive events but now it's permeated down through the rest of the tournament scene to the point where you can only do well if you're prepared to run with min-maxed lists that sap the fun from the game.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

martink0646

That's why I wanted to keep it in house. I don't really see this as being competitive, just a chance to play 3 games in a day against 3 different people. I would suggest that any prize support we may or may not get should probably be handed out on a raffle basis or best painted, best theme, best sportsman etc.  We could even not list the results so no one would know who won as it is irrelevant.

I agree with Rob partly about the rise of competitive gaming but it is impossible to stop people wanting to win a game as that is the whole idea. Although if people are rewarded for the theme of their army or their painting skill winning becomes 'somewhat' secondary.

I play a lot of tournaments & I go to meet new people & look at some great (and not so great) armies & to play a number of games in a controlled environment & that is the thrill for me personally.

Anyway, I would still like to explore a gaming day where a number of us could get together & play 3 games of BA.

MartinK

Grahame

I support keeping it in house and not actually use the word tournament at all! A bolt action day themed as a mini campaign eg linked scenarios would work well although that could be an issue if we don't have a balance of axis vs allies. Quite happy to have a winning side. Alternatively could have teams of three or four e.g. Brits or yanks or Russians which compete against each other.
Grahame

martink0646

Hi Grahame,

That would mirror the previous all-day games we've had & the there didn't seem to be much appetite for it as the last one only had 4 or 5 of us. Rob put in a lot of effort for only a few of us showing up.

Knowing how wargamers are notoriously...'individual', I thought an 'event' where you bring the army you most want to play & that's all you have to think about would be easier.

I am all for a campaign day as I've really enjoyed the last two, I'm just not sure the support is there for it or anything come to that as this & the previous thread haven't had a huge response, certainly not enough to do anything.

By the way, with regards to the name I agree. It probably shouldn't be called a tournament.

MartinK