• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

August 18, 2019, 05:37:58 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Invite to join a roleplaying game

Started by colinabrett, February 13, 2019, 07:58:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colinabrett

March 01, 2019, 08:48:31 pm #15 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:52:15 pm by colinabrett
Magical Ability

Magic is a complicated subject. It is not an easy profession to begin. The character must have a combined Intelligence (INT) and Power (POW) characteristics of 24. If a player desperately wants magical ability, I am happy to re-jig characteristics to meet this minimum level.

Players choosing a Sorcerer, Priest, Shaman or Cultist occupation begin with a certain number of spells, as defined in the Magic World rules.

Characters outside of these professions need a teacher. "Educated" character types (Minor Noble, Astrologer, Government Official/Diplomat, Merchant, Physician/Apothecary, Scribe/Engineer ... for a given value of "educated") have a 50% chance of having been taught sorcery before play begins. If this 50% roll is failed (i.e. a roll of 51% or more), they must find a teacher as the campaign progresses. All other occupations are considered "untrained" and must find a teacher through roleplaying and investigation during the game.

Yes. It is possible to qualify as a magic user during play. If your character's INT + POW increase to 24 or higher, then the latent talent is awakened. Sorcery becomes possible for the character, provided a teacher can be found.

Mark Jacobs

Hi all,

This all looks great.  Thursdays are good for me.

I'll head into the club Monday and sort my PC then.  :)

Tom G

Thursday are good for me.

Thanks for sending over the info via email Colin.

colinabrett

This is where we get into somewhat murky territory. Remember these are all game mechanics and, as GM, I have no control over your characters' actions.

Allegiance

There are no alignments in Magic World. You don't describe, or play, your character in terms of Lawful Good, Chaotic Evil, Neutral or any of the other six alignments in Dungeons and Dragons (and similar games).

Instead, Magic World uses Allegiances to describe your character's adherence to certain moral principles, codes of behaviour and beliefs. Magic World refers to these beliefs as Light, Balance and Shadow, essentially, Good, Neutral and Evil.

What some players don't 'get' about Allegiance is that, unlike Alignment, they are not absolute: there is a little of each of them in everyone. A beginning character starts with 25, 15 and 5 points to allocate to each of the forces of Light, Shadow and Balance. So even if a character starts with 25 points in Light, 15 in Balance, the last 5 points end up in Shadow; everyone has some 'dark secret'.

It must be noted that player characters have free will. They are not bound by their Allegiance scores to dictate their behaviour. Only the player can decide whether to follow that Allegiance. The character's Allegiance is only with the highest of the scores, and then only if that score is 20% higher than the others, and lastly only if the player character acknowledges the Allegiance. As a player, you decide your character's actions ... and live with the consequences.

Your character's actions over the course of the game can 'earn' points in the Allegiances. Wilful murder, for example, earns 3 Shadow points per victim. Offering charity to the needy awards 1 Light point. Healing someone who is mortally ill earns 1 Balance point. These awards are not clear cut. Speaking with the dead earns 1 Shadow point but would lose 1 Balance point.

When the character's score in one of these Allegiances reaches 100, the player has the option of Apotheosis: an elevation in power and status. They become a Champion of the Allegiance. This confers certain advantages to the character, though Champions of Light gain different advantages to those of Shadow.

We will cross the Allegiance bridge when we get to it in the campaign. Your character is still your character and, as GM, I will not say something like, "Oh, Fred has 30 Shadow points. Roll percentile dice and if you roll 30 or under, you slay the prisoner." This is your decision to make, not mine or a dice roll.

colinabrett

March 10, 2019, 02:31:06 pm #19 Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:16:22 am by Gary Martin
Hello All,

I sent this to everyone's email address. I'll also copy in the WhatsApp group.

After a couple of emails with Gary, I can confirm that the first RPG session will be at Gary's house on Thursday 14th March, starting at 7:30pm.

We'll be working on character generation, then have a small skirmish against an Orc warband so you can get a feel for the rules. To those who have played (A)D&D or its variants, combat can be fast and dangerous. With this in mind, the skirmish can be played one of two ways.

Firstly, as a "dry run": you will learn about attacks, parries, dodges, probably first aid, and the joys of critical hits and fumbles. However, the results will be ignored for the purposes of the campaign. Your characters will not learn from the experience but at least they'll survive.

Secondly, we can play "for keeps". That is, all of the above stands but your characters will learn and become eligible for experience rolls to improve their skills. They will start the campaign with slight improvements. The downside is, of course, that your character could be seriously wounded or even killed, and there are no Resurrection spells in this game.

I'll let you all decide which way to play the skirmish on the night.

In the meantime, could you please reply to this email to confirm whether you'll be attending on the 14th.

Thanks in advance and see you on Monday.

Regards,
Colin

Mark Jacobs

Hi all.  I'll be heading to Bretton from the Ortons, so if anyone on that route or nearby would like to car share or needs a lift, then let me know here or at the club this evening. :)

colinabrett

Quote from: Mark Jacobs on March 11, 2019, 11:19:47 am
Hi all.  I'll be heading to Bretton from the Ortons, so if anyone on that route or nearby would like to car share or needs a lift, then let me know here or at the club this evening. :)

Hi Mark,

I know it's a big thing to ask, but is there any chance you can give me a lift on Thursday? I'm in Park Farm/Stanground, so it's quite a way to travel from the Ortons, only to turn around and drive to Bretton.

Please let me know if this is possible.

TIA,
Colin

Mark Jacobs

Hi Colin,

Shouldn't be a problem. :)  Email me your address and I'll see you tomorrow.