June 17, 2019, 05:39:13 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

All Day Game - Battle of Marston Moor 1644

Started by Gary Martin, May 26, 2019, 07:43:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Whitaker

King, foot. (You saw what happened last time I played Rupert at Edgehill!)

Far too far ahead to have any diary entries for it, marginal preference for not the 22nd.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Tom G

I'm in. Happy to take royalist infantry.

Gary Martin

Quote from: Gary Martin on May 27, 2019, 11:47:39 am
Quote from: Grahame on May 27, 2019, 08:56:05 amI'm up for that - even if we can't get a date close to the actual event. I'll do the Scots!
Grahame
I think between us we have sufficient units for both sides. Probably want a minimum of 8 players; Rupert & Newcastle (Royalist Centre) Byron & Goring (right & left Cavalry wings)
Leven & Manchester (Parliament Centre) Fairfax & Cromwell (right & left cavalry wings)

So we have the following so far:
Parliament -
CinC - Leven
Right Wing Cav (Fairfax) - Gary
Centre right Inf (Manchester)-
Centre Left Inf (Scots - Baillie) - Grahame
Left Wing Cav (Cromwell) - Dan

Royalist;
CinC - Rupert
Right Wing Cav (Byron) - Carl (assumed you meant the Cav)
Centre Right Inf + Reserve (Broughton) - Mike
Centre left Inf (Newcastle) - Tom
Left Wing Cav (Goring) - Alan

29 Sept appears to be the best date from returns on suggested dates (sorry Andy). So I will ask Mike to book the date. Another player for the minimum 4 per side still required although more than that will be fine.

I have broken the commands into the best fit for the rules. Each command will consist of a number of batalia's. The CinC will be independent figures controlled by each side unless we have extra commanders.
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on June 02, 2019, 07:16:15 pmKing, foot. (You saw what happened last time I played Rupert at Edgehill!)

Far too far ahead to have any diary entries for it, marginal preference for not the 22nd.
Mike no need to swear!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Carl Fisher

Yes I did mean Horse!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Mike Whitaker

I have the Rupert mini painted :D
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on June 06, 2019, 01:37:56 pmI have the Rupert mini painted :D

Me too!

Tom G

I have a regiment of Newcastle's painted complete with blue bonnets  :afro:

Gary Martin

So for information Pike Shotte uses standard size units. Horse Regt = 12 figs in 2 ranks and dragoon's the same (dismounting as 12 figs). This will represent a Regt of about 500. Infantry regts will consist of a unit of Pike (16 figs 4x4) and 2 of Shotte (12 figs 6x2). This represents a Regt of about 800.
Each unit will need a movement tray 80x80 Pike, 120x40 Shotte, 150x100 Horse. This is the ideal but there is room for flexibility. I will create an order of Battle where some small regts will be absorbed into others to create regts representing the rough numbers above. If anyone has any specific favourite's let me know and I can ensure they are represented on table.
There is scope in the rules for smaller or larger infantry regts (450ish - 1200ish) more than the odd 1 will create unnecessary complications.

For example the Northern Horse, Newcastle contingent and Derbyshire element amount to about 3500 horse and 3200 foot. That works out nicely to 7 Regts Horse for Alan's left Wing cavalry and 4 regts of Foot. The Foot will form part of Tom's Royalist Infantry command.
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Pippa Peile

We would be up for this as well.
My soldiers are painted up as Sir Jacob Astley's but I don't think he was present at Marston Moor so probably no use.
We both are playing Royalist in campaign but happy to command whatever you need.

Grahame

I wouldn't worry about Sir Jacob not being at Marston Moor himself - the royalist forces would have had a range of different coat colours present so I'm sure your troops could take the field. It wasn't just Newcastle's white coated regiments present at the battle.
Grahame