• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

January 20, 2020, 04:33:05 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Invite to join a roleplaying game

Started by colinabrett, February 13, 2019, 07:58:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colinabrett

Hi all,

I am looking for players to take part in a fantasy roleplaying campaign. I already have two or three players interested. I'd like to recruit another two or three players (so, a maximum of six in the team). This way we can have a balanced party with a decent range of skills.

The game will not be Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder or the D20 variants. Instead, I'll be using Magic World, a fantasy derivative of Chaosium's percentile-based system. It's a similar system to that used in RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu.

I have a campaign written and ready to run. Of course, the players' decisions and characters' actions will have a knock-on effect, and I can rewrite sections or make new scenarios as the campaign progresses. I try not to 'railroad' players into situations where they may have found a workaround.

Some parts of the campaign involve biggish combats, perhaps 30+ fighters per side. Previously, these have been abstracted or run using counters and the AD&D Battlesystem rules. With experienced wargamers, and appropriate figures, we could turn these encounters into a Monday night game, if PWGC campaign nights and player availability allow. I'm open to suggestions as to which wargames ruleset we use.

If anyone is interested in joining in with this campaign, please let me know by email, FB messenger or a message through the PWGC forums.

Thanks for reading my ramble and I look forward to adventuring with you.

Colin

tony

Up for this Colin,haven't played AD&D/Runequest type game for years

Gary Martin

February 18, 2019, 05:24:04 pm #2 Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:27:33 pm by Gary Martin
 I'm in.

The new Vanguard rules do just that, a small scale skirmish. They are also currently developing an RPG for release late in the summer that will link into Vanguard which links into KOW all in the world of Mantica, which I think will also be getting a new name...
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

colinabrett

Quote from: Gary Martin on February 18, 2019, 05:24:04 pm
I'm in.

The new Vanguard rules do just that, a small scale skirmish. They are also currently developing an RPG for release late in the summer that will link into Vanguard which links into KOW all in the world of Mantica, which I think will also be getting a new name...

Gary,

That's brilliant! Thanks for your interest.

I now need a location that can accommodate up to eight players. My original estimate was six but interest has increased.

Can you help with this, please?

I'd be looking at running one game per month, which might not be easy to arrange given everyone's schedules, possibly on a Sunday afternoon or Thursday evening. I can be flexible depending on how "real life" fits in.

Anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

Pippa Peile

With a view to scheduling this, Ash works until 9pm Tues and Fri so we would never be able to do those.
Our preference would be for a Wed or Thur evening, just because things crop up at the weekends but if weekend is the only time everyone else could do we would try and fit in as best as possible!

Gary Martin

Colin

We can use my games room, or my dinning room.

Wednesday or Thursdays are good for me
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

colinabrett

Quote from: Gary Martin on February 19, 2019, 07:37:30 pm
Colin

We can use my games room, or my dinning room.

Wednesday or Thursdays are good for me

Fantastic, Gary.  ;D Thanks for being so accommodating.

I'll look into potential start dates and get a list to all involved as soon as I can. Would, say, mid-March be convenient? I'd estimate one session to get characters generated (and perhaps a quick skirmish to get used to the combat system), then beginning the campaign proper the following session. If anyone has any ideas of the sort of character they would like to play (fighter-type, thief, priest, magician, merchant, craftsperson; just about anything is possible), feel free to drop me a line.

All: Please stay in touch, preferably through email to colinabrett@gmail.com .

Thanks for your interest,
Colin

Mike Whitaker

Would it be useful to set up a private forum on here for this?
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

colinabrett

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on February 19, 2019, 10:31:51 pm
Would it be useful to set up a private forum on here for this?

Hi Mike,

I am reluctant to set up an RPG sub-forum for a wargames club. I only really posted the invite here to get the word out.

While I accept that there's a lot of overlap between the two hobbies (within and outside our club), there's something that makes me feel vaguely uncomfortable about blurring the club's focus, even a little. We're gearing up for Hereward and I'd prefer the energy to go into that. Also, I am hoping to stay in touch with players by email: that way, I can send character-specific information to each player, without revealing anything to other party members.

However, I could bring this up at Monday's meeting and see if there are other roleplayers who would make use of a sub-forum. If there's agreement, then we can go ahead. I can't put my finger on what makes me wary of this idea.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Colin

Phil J

colinabrett

Hi All,

This is my second attempt at this post. The first mysteriously disappeared into the ether when I pressed the Down arrow key. I'll keep this short, so as not to lose the thread.

In our after-game discussion in the Draper's last night, we set a date of Thursday 14th March for the inaugural game. The game will take place at Gary Martin's home, which he has generously made available for that evening.

Can everyone please confirm they'll be able to make it on that night? Answers through this thread or by email to colinabrett@gmail.com.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Colin

Mike Whitaker

Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada<br />28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

colinabrett

Some more information for the 14th.

Player Characters are defined by seven "characteristics" or "stats":

STRength - the character's muscle power
CONstitution - the character's health and vitality
SIZe - a compound measure of height and weight
INTelligence - represents learning, memory and analytic ability
POWer - a character's will power, luck and magical ability
DEXterity - represents nimbleness, balance, manual dexterity and stealth
APPearance - is the character's attractiveness, grace and eloquence

For Humans, STR, CON, POW, DEX and APP are rolled on 4D6, drop the lowest, giving a range of 3 - 18. SIZ and INT are rolled on 2D6+6, for a range of 8 - 18, meaning you won't generate a character with SIZ 3 (up to 3ft tall) or INT 3 (roughly a chicken).

Elves and Dwarfs roll their stats slightly differently, so please let me know if you need their dice rolls before the night.

colinabrett

And Character Races ...

There are three races open to starting characters: Human, Elf and Dwarf. Their characteristics and cultures are different, and we'll work all that out on the night. As the game progresses, I am open to the use of Orcs, Halflings and other species. We'll just see how things develop. Most player characters will be Human, as they are the most numerous and adaptable.

In a number of game worlds, Tolkein's Middle Earth specifically, there is a certain animosity between Elves and Dwarfs. This is not the case in Magic World. They may not be BFFs but at least they have no long-standing grudges. Therefore, relationships between Elf and Dwarf PCs are entirely what the players make of them.

Humans are a slightly different matter. Their characteristics are all generated in the same way. It's where their loyalties lie that counts. In Magic World, there are three Human power blocs. House Drum has a close alliance with the Dwarfs; House Beleghir, who work with the Elves; and the Governor of Lashingport, who attempts to keep the peace between the two Imperial Houses. Blood has been spilt between the two Human houses.

colinabrett

What do you do?

Here's a list of starting occupations that are open to beginning adventurers. Most of these are self-explanatory. These professions describe the background and sorts of skills you will start the game with. I can't reproduce all of the occupations' details here, but there are quite a lot of interesting options:

Astrologer
Bandit
Beggar
Craftsperson/Shopkeeper
Crafter, Tribal
Fisher
Government Official/Diplomat
Hunter
Lost, Forgotten
Mercenary, Bodyguard
Merchant
Minor Noble
Paid Assassin, Thug
Peasant, Farmer
Physician, Apothecary
Sailor
Scribe, Engineer
Shaman, Priest, Cultist
Slave (Freed or Escaped)
Small Trader
Soldier/Guard/Watchman
Sorcerer
Tax or Rent Collector
Thief
Troubadour/Entertainer

Other occupations can be created with input from the GM.

These are not the be all and end all. Each occupation begins with eight professional skills. You also gain four further skills which are not related to your profession.