Peterborough Wargames Club
April 19, 2019, 11:06:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Home   FORUM MAIN   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bolt Action escalation league  (Read 758 times)
martink0646

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 09:50:53 am »

Hi Guys,

All good feedback. Valid point about the armour level in the 500 point list. I thought about it & realised that if someone wants to take a tank in a 500 point list then they should be allowed to handicap themselves if they want to Grin but majority will rule on this one as I don't really care either way.  The restriction that will apply is the one for no free units in the 500 point list unless a good reason for allowing them is given. We can potentially make exceptions on a case by case basis if it encourages someone to build a great list from one of the minor powers. What I don't want to see is free Brit observers for example which could potentially skew a 500 point list.

I don't know...make the argument, that's what the forum is for Smiley

MartinK

Bolt Action: US & German
Chris Davies

Are you sure that's wise, sir?

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 10:50:41 am »

Does that include the Russians free infantry squad?

The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons; Operation Squad Russian Guards Rifle Squad 750 points;Russian Assault Squad 495 points; Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin gang; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians and 6mm dwarfs.
martink0646

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 10:57:25 am »

Hi Chris,

I would say so yes. Mainly because a free 100 point squad at the 500 point level is a 20% extra advantage which gives a defintie edge. It's not so bad at 750 points so will be allowed & iis pretty balanced at 1,000 points but as per my post if you can make a case for it here the group can decide Smiley.

Cheers,

MartinK

Chris Davies

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 12:06:49 pm »

OK - do you want a game on 28th?

The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons; Operation Squad Russian Guards Rifle Squad 750 points;Russian Assault Squad 495 points; Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin gang; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians and 6mm dwarfs.
Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

In da beginning was da word and da word was WAAAGH

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 05:23:06 pm »

The last escalation league, we didn't have free squads at the 500 or 600 point levels. It seemed to work then.

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish
tony

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 04:34:48 pm »

so if no free squad does that mean no free art for french etc but german and yanks still get thier nation traits !
plus is it your start of 500pts has to stay with your army throughout the campagin.
Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 06:27:36 pm »

Yes, all other nation traits work as normal. Other traits scale with the size of the army so they're all in proportion to each other, but a free 100+ point unit in a 500 point force is difficult to balance.

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish
Phil J

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 05:52:13 pm »

This looks like a great idea.  Im in:

Phil J - DAK.

I agree with the comment that at 500points the armies should be themed towards reconnaissance /small patrols and therefore unlikely to have tanks at this stage,  armour 7 seems appropriate.  As the games escalate it would be best using the 500 points from the original list and adding to this, so it would be like an ongoing engagement where reinforcements are coming in to support.

When is the start date?  Also what's the points increment going to be?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:40:32 pm by Phil J » Logged
Phil J

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 07:01:38 pm »

Any further development on this?  All quiet on the Western front ...
martink0646

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 03:12:00 pm »

Hi All,

OK, feedback read & ideas listened to, what follows is a draft blueprint for the Bolt Action Escalation League;

Force Composition

Four main rounds (+ potential bonus round). Forces allowed are any army, from any book so feel free to be creative. Anyone fielding an army from a minor power (i.e. not US, British, German, Russian, Japanese) will receive a points bonus upon completion of the campaign.  Special characters are not allowed but apart from that I am aiming to keep it deliberately vague. As the points levels rise you can move forward in time (e.g. early war to late war), you can increase veterancy (e.g. inexperienced-regular-veteran), just add extra units or all of the above. If na unit is included in a list it must be in the army from that point on at your chosen veterancy level.

I will not be banning anything in list composition but please bear in mind you are playing your club mates & the aim is to have have a good time not grind people into the dust  Cheesy

Missions

Missions will be pre-selected & you will be informed of them just before start of play & everyone will play the same mission on that round. Expect to have to hold objectives. Missions may differ slightly (or completely) from the rule book.  Be prepared to think tactically & flexibly.

In the first round there will be attempts to match forces accurately but 'blue-on-blue' is almost certain to occur.

Restrictions

After careful consideration the only restriction to force make-up will be no free units for the first round (500pts). If someone wishes to take a tank in that list fine, but bear in mind missions will be objective based so take a preponderance of armour at your peril!!

Points Levels

Round 1 - 500pts (No free units)
Round 2 - 750pts
Round 3 - 1,000pts
Round 4 - 1,250pts
Round 5 (Optional Bonus Round) - 1,500pts Tank War game

Scoring

Scoring will be 5 pts for a win, 2 pts for a draw & 1 pt for a defeat with potential bonus points on offer so a loss can still potentially score well. At the end of the 5 rounds I am endeavouring to provide a small prize/s & a trophy to add a little spice  Wink.

The start date is t.b.c. by the committee but I will give everyone as much notice as possible. Please reply on here/Facebook if you are interested. I will start chasing once the dates are known.

Good luck Commanders.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:30:27 pm by martink0646 » Logged

Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 07:20:24 pm »

Do you have to stick with the same theatre selector from one game to the next? Presumably not, if you can move from early war to late war.

Chris Davies

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 02:56:01 pm »

I'm in.

Phil J

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:04 pm »

Im in with DAK
Daniel Phillips
Administrator

No Plan Survives Contact with One's Allies

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 10:15:13 am »

I'm in, Germans.

Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.
colinabrett
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 01:07:34 am »

Hi Martin,

Late to the party but, after discussion with Phil Jones, I am able to borrow an American army.

If there are still places on the roster, I'd like to join in.

Thanks,
Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: