Peterborough Wargames Club
April 19, 2019, 11:04:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Home   FORUM MAIN   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bolt Action escalation league  (Read 757 times)
tony

« on: January 12, 2019, 03:18:06 pm »

I’m in depending on era etc
martink0646

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:31 pm »

Copy of later post added here for ease of searching (Dan's suggestion)
====================================================================================================
Hi All,

Final list for the 22nd below although I feel that may grow as I'm sure at least two of the unconfirmed want to play (Tony Sansom & Reuben Turner).  Unconfirmed players are below in bold.  We are now past the deadline but if you want to play on the 22nd let me know.  I'm not going to be a dick about it  Smiley

This gives us 24 players in total but of the confirmed players for the 22nd there are 14 meaning 7 tables. 

You must let me know if your name is not confirmed below but you wish to paly on the 22nd or there will NOT be a table for you.

Tony Sansom - British (Sikhs)
Martin Knowles - US Battling Bastards of Bataan++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing on the 15th *
Paul Yamcha Smith - German SS++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Rob Farley - Chinese+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Chris Davies - Russians++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
'Boris' Dudley - Russians+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Grahame - British++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Andy Mellor - Germans 19th Panzer Division+++++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing on the 15th *
Kevin Godbold - British
Phil J - Dak

Michael J Fox - Germans+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Andy Miller - US 1st Infantry Division+++++++++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing 29th (TBC)*
Reuben Turner - (?)
Stephen Butcher - (?)

Daniel Phillips - Germans+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Colin Brett - US+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Mark Gilby - (?)
Gary Martin - Germans++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Simon Deane - Japanese+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Tom G - Romanians
Phil Freer - Russians++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Dale Robinson - Russians+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Newt - Finns++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
James Batchelor - U.S. Airborne++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed

I will release the pairings for the first round on Friday. Everyone will be playing the same mission which you will know on the evening.  They will be Main Rule book missions in the whole but will probably have a couple of tweaks but count on the fact that you will need to take & hold objectives!!! There will be no plain 'Kill Shit' missions so it is on your head if you sink all your points into a big tank as vehicles will NOT be allowed to hold objectives.  

I was debating whether or not to require people to send their lists in advance but have decided not to.  Please self-police & show restraint & respect for your competitors, we are playing friends, for fun.  That said, if anyone wants to send me a copy of their list for checking/comments then feel free.  If you do though please use EasyArmy (http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/) as it is by far the best, simplest & easiest to read method of presenting what you want to bring.

Please respond as soon as possible & good luck with your painting.

MartinK

(I will copy this post to FB, responses are valid on both forums)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:13:17 am by martink0646 » Logged

Bolt Action: US & German
martink0646

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:27:18 pm »

*edited to bring it to the top.  Original post at the bottom of this one.*

Also posted on the FB Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/peterboroughwgc/) & the FB event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/2082752042016196/?active_tab=about) & at later in this forum thread.
=================================================================================
Hi All,

Rules for the Bolt Action Escalation League;

Force Composition

Four main rounds (+ potential bonus round). Forces allowed are any army, from any book so feel free to be creative. Anyone fielding an army from a minor power (i.e. not US, British, German, Russian, Japanese) will receive a bonus.  Special characters are not allowed but apart from that I am aiming to keep it deliberately vague. As the points levels rise you can move forward in time (e.g. early war to late war), you can increase veterancy (e.g. inexperienced-regular-veteran), just add extra units or all of the above. If a unit is included in a list it must be in the army from that point on at any chosen veterancy level.

I will not be banning anything in list composition but please bear in mind you are playing your club mates & the aim is to have have a good time not grind people into the dust.

Missions

Missions will be pre-selected & you will be informed of them just before start of play & everyone will play the same mission on that round. Expect to have to hold objectives. Missions may differ slightly (or completely) from the rule book.  Be prepared to think tactically & flexibly.

In the first round there will be attempts to match forces accurately but 'blue-on-blue' is almost certain to occur.

Restrictions

After careful consideration the only restriction to force make-up will be no free units for the first round (500pts). If someone wishes to take a tank in that list fine, but bear in mind missions will be objective based so take a preponderance of armour at your peril!!

Points Levels

Round 1 (22/4) - 500pts (No free units)
Round 2 (27/5) - 750pts
Round 3 (24/6) - 1,000pts
Round 4 (22/7) - 1,250pts
Round 5 (26/8) (Optional Bonus Round) - 1,500pts Tank War game

Scoring

Scoring will be 5 pts for a win, 2 pts for a draw & 1 pt for a defeat with potential bonus points on offer so a loss can still potentially score well. At the end of the 5 rounds I am endeavouring to provide a small prize/s & a trophy to add a little spice.

The start date is the 22nd April & I need confirmation of your participation & your armies nationality by the 14th April. Please reply on here or the forum if you are interested.

Good luck Commanders.
=============================================================================================================

This could be done in 4-6 months depending on people's appetite. I'm proposing a basic 500, 750, 1,000 & 1,250 point set up. You could easily add 600 points in there, I know Rob's an advocate of that & it makes sense if people are building & painting as they go along. You could also add a bonus 1,500 point tank game at the end for anybody that wanted to build more armour.

As far as ground rules go I propose that every unit that is in at the start has to be in the list as you expand it (unless we move the years forward with the points level). The 500 points starting level will not allow any free units & any vehicles will have a maximum armour level of 7+ i.e. take the armoured car slot.

Again all thoughts gratefully accepted.

MartinK
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:02:54 am by martink0646 » Logged

Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

In da beginning was da word and da word was WAAAGH

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:54:15 pm »

A couple of thoughts:

If we're moving rhings forward chronologically with each game, does that mean American players can't play in the opening rounds? (I know that sounds facetious - it's not, it's a genuine question).

Why are we considering limiting it to one era? Bolt Action does a great job of balancing the different eras with points values so game balance isn't an issue. Is it because of "realism" concerns? If so, will we be going further by limiting opponents to plausible historical match-ups, because even if everybody's playing mid-war Japan vs Finland doesn't do much for realism.

Are we limited to just the armoured car slot for the first battle? Because there are tanks with armour 7+ as well, especially early-war. Plus transports.

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish
tony

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:51:21 pm »

Give me a good excuse to start a French foreign legion force
Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 05:45:26 pm »

Give me a good excuse to start a French foreign legion force
Sounds cool. Using Armies of France or the new list in The Western Desert?

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish
martink0646

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:32 pm »

Hi Rob,

Good points. I put the options up to see how people are feeling as I want to set this up for maximum inclusion. I tend to agree with you as per my first option, any era will work & an early force at 500 points may have less toys but will field more men so as to negate body armour & assault rifles.  I put it as an option because I have had a specific request but as above, I want max numbers.

As far as the vehicles go I wasn't considering mandating armored car just giving an example. I think tankettes etc. are exactly what a 500 point force needs Smiley

Tony, what do you need as an excuse because I'll be happy to help!! Smiley

All thoughts & ideas are welcome at this stage.

MartinK

Chris Davies

Are you sure that's wise, sir?

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 08:42:59 am »

I'm up for this. Ourrah!

The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons; Operation Squad Russian Guards Rifle Squad 750 points;Russian Assault Squad 495 points; Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin gang; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians and 6mm dwarfs.
Grahame

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 03:18:31 pm »

Count me in - I'll be using British.
 Grahame
Godbold

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 05:57:07 pm »

Count me in too. British. Cheers
Andy Mellor

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 10:47:59 am »

Count me in, just painted 1943 Germans, based on 19th panzer division at Kursk. But have no armoured cars only PzIV? And can just get that in 500pts with my risk if it’s lost half my army is gone? But can swop it for a truck if need be.
Daniel Phillips
Administrator

No Plan Survives Contact with One's Allies

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 11:10:15 am »

Count me in as well. Germans. Painted as late war but can do any time period.

As far as ground rules go I propose that every unit that is in at the start has to be in the list as you expand it (unless we move the years forward with the points level).
The problem I see with this is if you take for example a light tank in the earlier games you're then stuck with it and can't take a bigger one later on.

Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.
tony

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 08:11:18 pm »

Why don’t you just let in what you can fit in your pts, restrictions spoil the game. Imo
Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 09:33:05 pm »

I like the idea of the limit. It makes you put a bit more thought into things rather than just min-maxing your army for the current points value.

Of course, I know some people don't like thought, on general principles. Tongue

Chris Davies

Are you sure that's wise, sir?

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 11:51:47 am »

Cogito ergo schtum..

The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons; Operation Squad Russian Guards Rifle Squad 750 points;Russian Assault Squad 495 points; Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin gang; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians and 6mm dwarfs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: