• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 20, 2019, 02:39:43 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Bolt Action escalation league

Started by tony, January 12, 2019, 03:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martink0646

Quote from: Rob Farley on April 20, 2019, 04:20:54 pm
I'm assuming it means that we can replace the order dice that comes out of the bag with one that's a different colour, i.e. the other person has to activate a unit instead.

Yes.  Basically, someone playing a minor power can choose to change the dice activation. e.g. they want the first dice out of the bag on a particular round but the opponent draws it then they can change it for one of theirs.  Since day one I have said that there will be a bonus for minor powers.  I wanted to encourage minor powers armies but in the end only two people have decided to go that route.  I was going to give them points originally but this way is more fun & they still have to earn the points.

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos
28mm: Wish List - Hungarian/Romanian army
Cruel Seas: British & German starter forces.
Wish List: Star Wars Legion box set

Rob Farley

Quote from: martink0646 on April 20, 2019, 07:18:49 pm
I wanted to encourage minor powers armies but in the end only two people have decided to go that route. 

Three people.  ;D
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

martink0646

Quote from: Rob Farley on April 20, 2019, 04:38:22 pm
Martin, are you sure you want to go with 3 objective markers for the game? It's putting a huge emphasis on the dice roll to determine who places the first marker, in fact the whole game could be decided on that one roll.

Whover wins the roll winds up with two markers sat on their own baseline (perfectly legit, there's no minimum distance from the board edge), all they have to do is defend. There's no way for the enemy to even attempt to contest them until turn 4, more likely turn 5, and that would involve running the width of the table. Especially since you've banned forward deployment as well, which just makes the situation worse.

With 4 markers, both players would place 2 each. That would make things even and force them to actually engage with each other to avoid a draw.

I'm predicting some very dull, one-sided games, unless whoever wins the roll-off deliberately avoids the best tactical option.

Hi Rob,

It's not quite that simple as there are two dice rolls...first to choose who places the objective first & then the second for table side.  If someone places two objectives on their backline then loses the dice roll to choose sides they have f!*ked themselves.  If we go with even numbers, especially at low points value, then I think we are guaranteeing draws & 5 objectives is too many for the force sizes.  I am happy with the number of objectives & don't really want to change it.

However, I could be persuaded to say all obectives have to be placed 6" either side of the centre line.......although I do like the jeopardy of risking everything on one roll of the dice i.e. placing two objectives clsoe to 'your' table edge & then losing the roll thereby handing the game to your opponent.  Sensible people will place it near the centre, gamblers & risk takers will not & they'll have a 50/50 chance of losing because of it.

I would rather give people the choice to behave badly & watch them get their fingers burned  ;D

Alternatively I could just place the objectives myself but I don't want to do that really.

Your thoughts....

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos

martink0646

Quote from: Rob Farley on April 20, 2019, 07:27:42 pm
Quote from: martink0646 on April 20, 2019, 07:18:49 pm
I wanted to encourage minor powers armies but in the end only two people have decided to go that route. 

Three people.  ;D

Yes...overlooked Tom G!!!  :o

Rob Farley

April 20, 2019, 07:33:45 pm #94 Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 07:36:19 pm by Rob Farley
Quote from: martink0646 on April 20, 2019, 07:29:41 pm
Martin, are you sure you want to go with 3 objective markers for the game? It's putting a huge emphasis on the dice roll to determine who places the first marker, in fact the whole game could be decided on that one roll.

Whover wins the roll winds up with two markers sat on their own baseline (perfectly legit, there's no minimum distance from the board edge), all they have to do is defend. There's no way for the enemy to even attempt to contest them until turn 4, more likely turn 5, and that would involve running the width of the table. Especially since you've banned forward deployment as well, which just makes the situation worse.

With 4 markers, both players would place 2 each. That would make things even and force them to actually engage with each other to avoid a draw.

I'm predicting some very dull, one-sided games, unless whoever wins the roll-off deliberately avoids the best tactical option.

Hi Rob,

It's not quite that simple as there are two dice rolls...first to choose who places the objective first & then the second for table side.  If someone places two objectives on their backline then loses the dice roll to choose sides they have f!*ked themselves.  If we go with even numbers, especially at low points value, then I think we are guaranteeing draws & 5 objectives is too many for the force sizes.  I am happy with the number of objectives & don't really want to change it.

However, I could be persuaded to say all obectives have to be placed 6" either side of the centre line.......although I do like the jeopardy of risking everything on one roll of the dice i.e. placing two objectives clsoe to 'your' table edge & then losing the roll thereby handing the game to your opponent.  Sensible people will place it near the centre, gamblers & risk takers will not & they'll have a 50/50 chance of losing because of it.

I would rather give people the choice to behave badly & watch them get their fingers burned  ;D

Alternatively I could just place the objectives myself but I don't want to do that really.

Your thoughts....

MartinK

Ah, yes. Missed that detail. My bad.  :-[

Although I wish I was playing Finns. That could really work with Finns. Plus, then I'd have some army special rules to use, since you've decided to neuter both of mine.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

martink0646

Quote from: Rob Farley on April 20, 2019, 07:33:45 pm

Hi Rob,

Your thoughts....

MartinK

Although I wish I was playing Finns. That could really work with Finns. Plus, then I'd have some army special rules to use, since you've decided to neuter both of mine.

Not done on purpose & definitely not personal Rob & only for the first round.  I might be going out on a limb here but I think you'll be alright :). It'll be interesting to see how that dice change works for you.

Rob Farley

Quote from: martink0646 on April 21, 2019, 08:26:45 am
Quote from: Rob Farley on April 20, 2019, 07:33:45 pm

Hi Rob,

Your thoughts....

MartinK

Not done on purpose & definitely not personal Rob & only for the first round.  I might be going out on a limb here but I think you'll be alright :). It'll be interesting to see how that dice change works for you.

All I know is, I'm scrambling to come up with a list that'll work for this scenario and within the framework of the league. The nice themed approach that I discussed with you a few weeks ago has been knocked on the head by your house-rules.

martink0646

Hi Rob,

There was no attempt to hobble you in the decision regarding forward deployment, you did not enter my thoughts but I don't want to ruin your game so I could allow forward deployment.

However, I don't want it to be an auto-win for you & I think you are more than capable of winning without the forward deployment. If you can say to me that you have a massive handicap without it & will struggle to compete then I'll allow it but if you can play & compete without it then that would be an interesting challenge for you?

Let me know your thoughts.

Martin

Michael

martink0646

April 22, 2019, 07:50:25 am #99 Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:55:00 am by martink0646
Quote from: Michael on April 21, 2019, 11:08:05 pm
I'm in American Marines.

Hi Michael,

Is this a brand new entry & will you be there tonight?  Can you let me know your surname please? The deadline was last week as we are a bit tight for space & wanted to work out how many tables we needed but I'm 99.99999% certain we'll get you a game.  Make sure you download the players pack & read it.

Cheers.

MartinK

martink0646

April 22, 2019, 08:31:08 am #100 Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:59:41 am by martink0646
Player pairings for the 1st Round

Tony Sansom (Brit)   vs Paul Yamcha Smith (Ger)
Rob Farley (Chn)      vs Chris Davies (Rus)
'Boris' Dudley (Rus)   vs Michael J Fox (Ger)
Grahame (Brit)         vs Dan Daniel Phillips (Ger)
Gary Martin (Ger)     vs Dale Robinson (Rus)
Newt (Fin)              vs Phil Freer (Rus)
Tom G (Rom)           vs Michael (US)

That will be 7 tables.  All tables will be 4'x4' so when you arrive, if you could identify your opponent & set up your table that will be much appreciated.  I will bring my army so can step in to even things up if we have any no shows.

These are the people who have confirmed to me that they are coming.  If anyone is planning to come & hasn't already confirmed let me know via FB or the forum as there won't be a table for you if you don't.  If you are confirmed & can't make it tonight PLEASE let me know as soon as possible today.  Thank you.

martink0646

Here are the preliminary standings after the first round (with a couple of games left to be played;

Grahame                  9 pts
Rob                         9 pts
'Boris Dudley            8 pts
Gary Martin              8 pts
Phil F                       8 pts
Andy Mellor              8 pts (Added 3 pts for an objective)
Paul Yamcha Smith   5 pts
Tony Sansom           5 pts
Phil J                       5 pts
Chris Davies            4 pts
Michael J Fox           3 pts
Martin Knowles        1 pt

Andy Miller

Martin,
For info - I will be present on 27/05 for round 2
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Rob Farley

May 16, 2019, 10:28:59 am #103 Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:16:01 pm by Rob Farley
Just in case people aren't aware, as of yesterday there's a new FAQ/errata document for Bolt Action.

As with the last few updates, it appears to have been written by someone with only a passing familiarity with the Bolt Action rules. One of the answers manages to not only contradict the rulebook, it actually contradicts itself.  :rolleyes:

martink0646

Bolt Action Escalation League - Round 2 - Monday 27th May - 750 points

Next week is the 2nd round of the league which is going to be 750pts. Can people let me know their availability as soon as possible as I'm working out the pairings now. If you can't make it, no problem just let me know so I can pair you with other players who will be unavailable. The player pack is attached below. It is a book mission with a slight twist so please make sure you read it...carefully. Also, free units are allowed this round so fill your boots if your army gets freebies.