• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 20, 2019, 02:05:00 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Bolt Action escalation league

Started by tony, January 12, 2019, 03:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martink0646

Sorted.  We'll kick the league off in style :).  That's really good as it certainly won't hurt if I can set-up & guide without having to worry about my own game & my opponent.  I can also be available if we have any no-shows and/or odd numbers so everyone who wants one can have a game.

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos
28mm: Wish List - Hungarian/Romanian army
Cruel Seas: British & German starter forces.
Wish List: Star Wars Legion box set

Phil Freer

Confirm for the 22nd.
Soviet early war army.
Anyone interested in a game on the 15th?

tony

Gary Martin

Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

colinabrett

martink0646

Also posted on the FB Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/peterboroughwgc/) & the FB event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/2082752042016196/?active_tab=about) & at the start of this forum thread.
=================================================================================
Hi All,

Rules for the Bolt Action Escalation League;

Force Composition

Four main rounds (+ potential bonus round). Forces allowed are any army, from any book so feel free to be creative. Anyone fielding an army from a minor power (i.e. not US, British, German, Russian, Japanese) will receive a bonus.  Special characters are not allowed but apart from that I am aiming to keep it deliberately vague. As the points levels rise you can move forward in time (e.g. early war to late war), you can increase veterancy (e.g. inexperienced-regular-veteran), just add extra units or all of the above. If a unit is included in a list it must be in the army from that point on at any chosen veterancy level.

I will not be banning anything in list composition but please bear in mind you are playing your club mates & the aim is to have have a good time not grind people into the dust.

Missions

Missions will be pre-selected & you will be informed of them just before start of play & everyone will play the same mission on that round. Expect to have to hold objectives. Missions may differ slightly (or completely) from the rule book.  Be prepared to think tactically & flexibly.

In the first round there will be attempts to match forces accurately but 'blue-on-blue' is almost certain to occur.

Restrictions

After careful consideration the only restriction to force make-up will be no free units for the first round (500pts). If someone wishes to take a tank in that list fine, but bear in mind missions will be objective based so take a preponderance of armour at your peril!!

Points Levels

Round 1 (22/4) - 500pts (No free units)
Round 2 (27/5) - 750pts
Round 3 (24/6) - 1,000pts
Round 4 (22/7) - 1,250pts
Round 5 (26/8) (Optional Bonus Round) - 1,500pts Tank War game

Scoring

Scoring will be 5 pts for a win, 2 pts for a draw & 1 pt for a defeat with potential bonus points on offer so a loss can still potentially score well. At the end of the 5 rounds I am endeavouring to provide a small prize/s & a trophy to add a little spice.

The start date is the 22nd April & I need confirmation of your participation & your armies nationality by the 14th April. Please reply on here or the forum if you are interested.

Good luck Commanders.
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos

Phil Freer

April 06, 2019, 10:08:43 am #66 Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 01:33:21 pm by Phil Freer
'If a unit is included in the list, it must remain in the army from that point on'.
Does this mean that if you take a really poor early war tank/tankette in the first game, you are saddled with this as your tank option for the rest of the campaign?
This makes the use of many of the early war vehicles, MkVIB, PzKw mkI, Type 95 Ha Go, T26, etc. very unappealing as they cannot be upgraded to the better and bigger tanks that were available at this time to all nations.

Rob Farley

I rolled a dice for it. I'm playing Chinese.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Andy Miller

Confirm US infantry, but not at the club for the next two weeks  :(
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

James Batchelor

Martin.  Can I please get first game with somebody that has the patience to actually teach me how to play please!

Dale Robinson

Just to triple check I've confirmed. Russian Naval Brigade,

Newt also confirms that they'll be using Sissi Finns.
Warhammer 40K: Necrons. Warhammer Fantasy: Tomb Kings. Judge Dredd: Zombie Horde. Dreadball: Teratons. Battlefleet Gothic: Necrons.

Dabbling in alsorts.

martink0646

Quote from: James Batchelor on April 13, 2019, 09:08:57 am
Martin.  Can I please get first game with somebody that has the patience to actually teach me how to play please!

Hi James,

Of course.  I'm not playing the first week so I'll either put you with someone who to help you or I'll play you.

MartinK

martink0646

Quote from: Dale Robinson on April 13, 2019, 04:29:25 pm
Just to triple check I've confirmed. Russian Naval Brigade,

Newt also confirms that they'll be using Sissi Finns.

Confirmed

martink0646

April 14, 2019, 08:33:05 am #73 Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:36:27 am by martink0646
Quote from: Phil Freer on April 06, 2019, 10:08:43 am
'If a unit is included in the list, it must remain in the army from that point on'.
Does this mean that if you take a really poor early war tank/tankette in the first game, you are saddled with this as your tank option for the rest of the campaign?
This makes the use of many of the early war vehicles, MkVIB, PzKw mkI, Type 95 Ha Go, T26, etc. very unappealing as they cannot be upgraded to the better and bigger tanks that were available at this time to all nations.

It doesn't make them unappealing at all.  There are two types of escalation list; the first type is how it is supposed to be played, pick a theme for your first 500pt list & as you paint more add more to it.  The idea is that you end up with a full force of that era/year/type.  The second way is that you start early war & progress down the years adding more units.

I have allowed the second way to be more inclusive but if you want to play late war tanks then run without them early on.  All scenarios will be heavily objective based & running infantry only will probably not hamper you.  Let's be honest, people choose the second way to be more competitive which this league is absolutely NOT about.  For example, I'm running an early war US 'Bataan' list that will be from exactly the same selector all the way through, it's just going to get bigger.  Try it  ;)

Alternatively, why don't you run an early war force through the whole league?  There is absolutely no reason not to do that & end up with a lovely army.  Tanks are overrated...Rob is running the Chinese & I bet he comes in the top 3 without tanks!  :D

MartinK

martink0646

Quote from: Rob Farley on April 11, 2019, 11:43:21 pm
I rolled a dice for it. I'm playing Chinese.

Chinese.... :) Confirmed