• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 16, 2019, 05:38:11 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Bolt Action escalation league

Started by tony, January 12, 2019, 03:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martink0646

Hi Tom,

Ultimately, the hive mind will decide but when I asked people "to make a case" I was expecting reasons why. I could argue that your Romanians will be stronger than my Bataan US as I am fielding mostly inex troops.

Give the hive good reasons & if you're argument/logic is strong enough then we can revisit. I'm can't think of a good reason off the top of my head but I am open minded ????

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos
28mm: Wish List - Hungarian/Romanian army
Cruel Seas: British & German starter forces.
Wish List: Star Wars Legion box set

Rob Farley

I'm sure every army with a free unit could make a try for the "it's kind of the point of my army" argument.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Tom G

Quote from: Rob Farley on March 03, 2019, 07:19:38 pm
I'm sure every army with a free unit could make a try for the "it's kind of the point of my army" argument.

Yes but mine is slightly more nuanced. I meant I could therefore field more than one piece of artillery due to the 0-1 restriction as that is what is intended as the army historically used numerous pieces of artillery close to the front lines.

I like to try and theme the army as close as possible.

As Martin said 100pts free unit at 1000pts is balanced so I thought 50pts at 500pts would also therefore be balanced.

Obviously I don't mind if people are not happy with me bringing a free 50pt artillery at 500 pts.

Phil Freer

Hi. Any chance of fitting in another Russian player. If so I am up for it.

Grahame

The French qualify for free artillery too - sorry but no free stuff at 500pts is fair for all. It is only one game for us all to survive without freebies and then you can have as much as the lists will allow.
Grahame

Dale Robinson

Martin or Rob were probably expecting this question. I apologise immediately. I'm considering joining in, as it's been years since I actually played BA and it'd be nice to get back into it.

Am I allowed to take T.F.B. The Bronekater? If so, are we ensuring I end up on the table with a river, or should I bring a secondary list with a T34-85 instead?

Just thought it'd be polite/prudent to ask this before making lists :)
Warhammer 40K: Necrons. Warhammer Fantasy: Tomb Kings. Judge Dredd: Zombie Horde. Dreadball: Teratons. Battlefleet Gothic: Necrons.

Dabbling in alsorts.

martink0646

Hi All,

I haven't got round to looking at this for a couple of weeks, apologies.  OK...with the start of the campaign fast approaching (April 22nd) I'll answer the most recent couple of questions then in a seperate post which I'll mirror on FB I'll put the full list of prospective entrants up with the intention of trying to tie numbers down for the first week.  As discussed, I very much doubt that we will get all the players turning up en masse on the 1st week but if people can respond to any requests for confirmation that will be great.  Right, questions & answers;

Hi Tom, sorry no. The no free units at the 500 point level will stand.  I mirror Grahame's comments but as I mentioned in the original post there will be bonus of some sort for people playing 'minor' nations.
=====================================================================
Phil Freer, welcome.
Dale, great.  Your mighty Bronekator is more than welcome & we'll make sure that there is a river for your table in every game you play. If anyone thinks this is unfair they will soon realise just how heroic your self sacrifice in taking that beast truly is  :D

Please feel free to ask any more questions, now is the time to do so...

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos

martink0646

March 27, 2019, 09:40:06 am #52 Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 05:12:12 pm by martink0646
Hi All,

Below is the most up to date player list I have.  If there are any errors or omissions then please let me know?  I would like everybody who intends to play in the first round on the 22nd April to confirm their participation (along with the nationality of their army) for that date by Sunday 14th of April so we can arrange to have the right number of tables.  If you can't make the first week don't worry as you can always catch up at a later date but if I have not had confirmation by the 14th then there won't be a table made available for you so please respond even if it is a simple yes or no answer along with your army.

Tony Sansom - British (Sikhs)
Martin Knowles - US Battling Bastards of Bataan++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing on the 15th *
Paul Yamcha Smith - German SS++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Rob Farley - Chinese/Finns/Russians/various other nations
Chris Davies - Russians++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
'Boris' Dudley - Russians+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Grahame - British++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Andy Mellor - Germans 19th Panzer Division+++++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing on the 15th *

Kevin Godbold - British
Phil J - Dak
Michael J Fox - Germans+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Andy Miller - US 1st Infantry Division
Reuben Turner - (?)
Stephen Butcher - (?)

Daniel Phillips - Germans+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Colin Brett - US+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Mark Gilby - (?)
Gary Martin - Germans++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Simon Deane - Japanese+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Tom G - Romanians
Phil Freer - Russians++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Dale Robinson - Russians+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Lou Abbott - (Sorry, forgot)+++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
James Batchelor - U.S. Airborne

(Italicised entries require country confirmation. Please let me know when you respond)

After the April 14th deadline I will release the list of pairings for the first round & will try to match eras & armies as realistically as possible but there WILL be some 'blue on blue' games due to the choices of the entrants, sorry.  To make things even I intend everybody to play the same mission in each round of the league.  These missions will not be known in advance.  They will be Main Rule book missions in the whole but will probably have a couple of tweaks but count on the fact that you will need to take & hold objectives!!!  There will be no plain 'Kill Shit' missions so it is on your head if you sink all your points into a big tank as vehicles will NOT be allowed to hold objectives.  

I was debating whether or not to require people to send their lists in advance but have decided not to.  Please self-police & show restraint & respect for your competitors, we are playing friends, for fun.  That said, if anyone wants to send me a copy of their list for checking/comments then feel free.  If you do though please use EasyArmy (http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/) as it is by far the best, simplest & easiest to read method of presenting what you want to bring.

Please respond as soon as possible & good luck with your painting.

MartinK

(I will copy this post to FB, responses are valid on both forums)
====================================================================================================
There are a few ways to do this; firstly the game is not a historical simulation & the points level should balance out late war/early war so anything goes. Secondly, we could fix it at a set period of time although that could rule people out. Thirdly, as we escalate the points, move the time period on say a year at a time?

Personally I would plump for option one as it is the most inclusive but I can work with all three with the third option potentially being the best compromise.

Thoughts please.

MartinK

Grahame

Confirm I will be there on the 22nd and shall be using British & Commonwealth desert forces to start with.
Grahame

Chris Davies

The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons;  Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin/Vampire gangs; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians; AoM undead.

Daniel Phillips

I confirm I'll be there on the 22nd. Germans, as yet undecided on early or late war.
Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

colinabrett

I confirm I'll be there. US for the win!
Colin

Andy Mellor

Not about to make Easter Monday but will be using mid 1943 19th Panzer Div. I'll have to catch up.

martink0646

Quote from: Andy Mellor on March 27, 2019, 12:08:58 pm
Not about to make Easter Monday but will be using mid 1943 19th Panzer Div. I'll have to catch up.

Hi Andy,

If you let me know the next date after that I'll schedule my match against you then I can be available on the 22nd in a non-playing capacity to help out if anyone needs anything.

Alternatively we could do it before the 22nd if that is best for your schedule.  I've got a game booked next week (1st) but could do the 8th or the 15th if that suits you better?

MartinK

Andy Mellor

Hi Martin

15th would be good? Cheers