• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

November 22, 2019, 12:26:23 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Bolt Action escalation league

Started by tony, January 12, 2019, 03:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Freer

Next Monday ok for you, Martin?

martink0646

Hi Phil,

The 10th?  That will be great.  See you Monday.

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos
28mm: Wish List - Hungarian/Romanian army
Cruel Seas: British & German starter forces.
Wish List: Star Wars Legion box set

martink0646

June 19, 2019, 06:53:19 pm #122 Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:24:16 pm by martink0646
Hi All,

Next week, the 24th is the 3rd Round of the Bolt Action Escaltion League. This rounds level is 1,000 points with no restrictions. The player pack will be out shortly & I would like to try & gauge who will be coming on Monday night so I can make out some match-ups.  If you can let me know ASAP if you will be there or not that will be invaluable.

Many thanks.

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos

martink0646

Bolt Action Escalation League Round 3 Player Pack

Gary Martin

Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Daniel Phillips

Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

Grahame

rules question - in this scenario do reserves come on into your deployment quarter or anywhere along your long table edge?
Grahame

Rob Farley

Anywhere along your long table edge. It's a standard scenario.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Gary Martin

Quote from: Rob Farley on June 20, 2019, 10:26:50 pmAnywhere along your long table edge. It's a standard scenario.

Just had a look at scenarios and above and have 2 queries?

1. The base rules for reserves coming only say 'units in reserve can be ordered onto the table with an advance or run'. Other than specific scenario's the assumption is they come on 'your long table edge'. In this scenario it requires you to further pick a quarter of your table edge, in which you deploy. It can certainly be argued that reserves should also follow that in this scenario.

2. The other player gets the 'opposite quarter'. Does this mean directly opposite or diagonally opposite? (Or either?)

I played the scenario a couple of months ago and we took it diagonally opposite and reserves coming on from the chosen quarter. As we went through the game and at the end we did discuss whether or not this was correct, but came to no conclusion. I have checked the latest FAQ, downloaded from Warlord this morning and there is no clarification. Personally I have no issue either which way, but it would be helpful for Martin to rule for Monday.
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Rob Farley

You also pick a long table edge at the same time you pick a quarter. I agree that it would make sense for reserve troops to come on from your quarter rather than your long edge but there's nothing in the scenario to say they do. I've played this scenario at multiple tournaments and that's always how it's been played.

And it's diagonally opposite corners.

If Martin wants to change that, that's up to him of course. It's balanced either way.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

martink0646

Hi All,

Rob's correct. Long table edge, opposite quarters.  The rule book doesn't clarify in words but there is a diagram - Scenario 12.  If you wish to play coming on in your own quarter I don't mind as long as you both play the same rules.  Also, bear in mind there is no outflanking in this scenario.

Cheers all.

MartinK

martink0646

August 26, 2019, 01:30:41 pm #131 Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:38:24 pm by martink0646
Hi All,

Finally we have got to Round 4 of the Escalation League.  It will be played on the 2nd September.  I have attached the players pack. Please read it carefully & bring a copy with you.

If we can aim to arrive by 19:30 so we can be all set-up & ready to go straight after the 20:00 meeting.

If you have any questions about the pack or the missions let me know.  I have shared this in FB as well.

MartinK

PWGC Bolt Action Escaltion League Rd 4.pdf

Andy Miller

Due to the issues with St Johns and things getting shunted around, I'm out of synch again and can't make Monday 2nd.
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Rob Farley

Martin,

Some more queries regarding the scenario, in addition to the issue with victory points I mentioned yesterday.

1) "Players must deploy at least 50% of their army", presumably this is in terms of number of units? And "at least" means rounding up? So an army with 17 units would have to deploy at least 9, including any forward deployment.

2) The rules for coming on from reserve are detailed under "First Turn". Does this mean they can enter the table on turn 1 or do they follow the usual procedure (i.e. turn 2 onwards with order tests)? Same question for outflanking units.

3) Most importantly, how do you capture and hold objectives? Do you need a unit touching the objective or within a set distance? Can vehicles capture or just infantry  (and/or artillery)? Do you keep possession of an objective if you move away or do you need to stay there?

martink0646

Hi Rob,

Please see the needed ( :smiley: ) clarifications below;

1) 50%, rounding up.
2) Usual procedure. Turn 2 onwards.
3) Base contact to capture & the objective is then yours until your opponent takes it. There is NO contesting objectives. Once gained, you hold it until your opponent destroys the unit holding the objective or takes it after you have moved off.

Please let me know if there are any further clarifications.

MartinK