• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

December 13, 2019, 11:28:43 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Pikeman's Lament ECW campaign

Started by tony, January 12, 2019, 03:18:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahame

several points ;
A hero gained during a game is attached to the unit that scored the role on the table and costs 0 points - he has to stay with that unit until the unit is destroyed or he is killed. So a six point unit that has gained a hero during a game still only costs 6 points. A hero bought as part of your army list costs 1 point and he can't be left behind. Just plan your army list accordingly and you are free to bring less than 24 points to a game.
Cavalry will remain as per the rules - I want to retain a distiction between the sides so it remains Trotters for Parliament and Gallopers for the King.
Commanded shot rules stand as they are. If they are frustrating your gun then come up with a better placing for it or find some troops that can deal with the Commanded Shot to support your gun -eg  skirmishing dragoons should be ideal for the job. Do remember that a gun has an arc of fire and that a commanded shot unit can only be at best 6" wide. I am going to allow guns to shoot overhead - they must be in an elevated position eg on the ramparts of a sconce or on a hill but only at targets beyond 12".
Grahame

Grahame

Kevin has dropped out so it leaves the sides as follows:

Parliament : Grahame, Gary, Tony, Colin, Andy Mellor, Andy Miller - 6
King: Mike, Carl, Ash, Pippa, Shawn, Tom, Alan - 7

If you know of anyone who would like to join in please let me know. There are solutions I can use during the campaign if we remain uneven in sides.
I know that Andy Miller & Shawn will not be there on the 20th so they will be arranging to fight each other some other time. Please could the rest of you confirm if you will be there.
Thanks
Grahame

Carl Fisher

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Gary Martin

Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Tom G

Quote from: Grahame on May 07, 2019, 04:55:12 pm
Commanded shot rules stand as they are. If they are frustrating your gun then come up with a better placing for it or find some troops that can deal with the Commanded Shot to support your gun -eg  skirmishing dragoons should be ideal for the job. Do remember that a gun has an arc of fire and that a commanded shot unit can only be at best 6" wide. I am going to allow guns to shoot overhead - they must be in an elevated position eg on the ramparts of a sconce or on a hill but only at targets beyond 12".

Sounds fair.

Will be there.

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Grahame on May 07, 2019, 04:55:12 pm
several points ; I am going to allow guns to shoot overhead - they must be in an elevated position eg on the ramparts of a sconce or on a hill but only at targets beyond 12".
Grahame

Can I suggest an amendment to this? I can see garrison armies occupying a hill with troops below defending the guns, the attackers looks at this and go "we will stop here and wait" (edge hill style?). Possible solutions are.

For every unit fired over (friend and foe, the target gains stamina, +1 for the first, then an extra +2 for the next ( for +3) and so on. To avoid I'll shot your veterans/elites at the back? It also means that if it's just command shot in the way, then they provide the same bonus as cover?

Add to target priorities for overhead fire, "shots must be directed at the largest unit in arc or the unit covering them (if eligible under normal target priorities)". To stop I'll shoot at your veteran dragoons and ignore the large pike block advancing? It will also allow wavering elites to retire instead of getting shot until they rout. This will also spread the damage across a foot regiment so it has a chance when it gets to the enemy infantry? The last bit stops columns of attack forcing the guns to shoot over more and more units and small units (non command shot) from providing extra cover.

Will you be able to fire over the heads of enemy troops at guns on a hill/rampart? Was counter battery fire common?

Andy Miller

Message to Shawn :
We are both unavailable on 20/5 , I'm on Bolt Action on 27/5. I on SAGA on 3/6, the same as yourself.
I know this is stretching it, but is 10/6 a possible?
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Alan P

Mike Whitaker

Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Grahame

Guns can shoot at other guns on hills if they are not obscured etc. Target priority is as per the rules p34. I will look again at these issues when planning the siege game and big fight at the end otherwise play rules as written or any tweaks I have posted. I will be giving objectives and how to score glory for each game as per last year.
Grahame

Pippa Peile

colinabrett

colinabrett

Hi Grahame,

I'm likely to be there first on the 20th. Do you want me to start setting up straight away? If so, how many players and tables will you be needing? I can at least get the boards and mats set up.

Colin

Shawn Comer

Quote from: Andy Miller on May 09, 2019, 10:09:27 am
Message to Shawn :
We are both unavailable on 20/5 , I'm on Bolt Action on 27/5. I on SAGA on 3/6, the same as yourself.
I know this is stretching it, but is 10/6 a possible?
Andy

Andy, yes I think that should work.