• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 15, 2019, 07:06:19 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Kings of War narrative campaign

Started by Gary Martin, February 17, 2019, 11:41:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Martin

So had a few thoughts on this. With Mantic having released the Vanguard rules, which are linked to KOW as a skirmish level, I was considering linking the two together as a joint campaign. Each of the Vanguard scenarios have a hook to KOW so the results from the Vanguard game(s) have an impact on the bigger KOW engagement, all based in the same world.
The rough campaign narrative will be the forces of the Abyss (Evil factions) is launching a major attack on the good nations of Mantica (Good factions). Neutral factions linked to either to keep sides even. Each Army is moving to group together to confront the other. As they move small 'black ops forces' move ahead completing certain missions relevant to the bigger picture. The results of these ops impacts on the larger forces as they move forward.
The idea would be to play a 1 or 2 club evenings doing Vanguard scenarios, followed by bigger engagements the next campaign day using KOW with 3 or 4 separate battles, dependant on numbers of players. The results of these battles then inform the overall picture and we then run another 1 or 2 vanguard nights, access the results and have a further round of KOW. When the campaign has reached a point the overall results lead to a major all day KOW battle on a Sunday. Looking to start in summer so plenty of time for people to practice the rulesets. Vanguard requires about 10 to 20 miniatures from the KOW factions, and battles last just over an hour. Any thoughts or interest?
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

colinabrett

Hi Gary,

I'm interested in joining in. In WFB terms, I can muster Orcs/Goblins, Elves, Chaos (Varangur), and Bretonnians (Brotherhood?). Some work is needed to get them all based up.

I don't have the Vanguard rule book (yet), so will the free-to-download rules from Mantic's website be sufficient?

I'm willing to loan an army to interested players.

Colin

Gary Martin

Quote from: colinabrett on February 17, 2019, 04:10:48 pm
Hi Gary,

I'm interested in joining in. In WFB terms, I can muster Orcs/Goblins, Elves, Chaos (Varangur), and Bretonnians (Brotherhood?). Some work is needed to get them all based up.

I don't have the Vanguard rule book (yet), so will the free-to-download rules from Mantic's website be sufficient?

I'm willing to loan an army to interested players.

Colin

Colin the free rules download will be fine as it looks like a direct copy. The army lists for all the KOW related factions are also a free download. This is a link;
http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Tom G

I'm in. Forces of nature or Goblins dependant on start date?

Mike Whitaker

I'm in - men or elves if I get the latter painted.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Daniel Phillips

I'm in. Probably Dwarfs, maybe Kingdoms of Men.
Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

Dale Robinson

Throwing my probably assumed interest into this, sorry if it's a bit late. Could be Undead, Abyssals, Night Stalkers, Empire of Dust. I have never played Vanguard, and would probably be in it more for the KOW side, but I'm certainly willing to give it a go :)
Warhammer 40K: Necrons. Warhammer Fantasy: Tomb Kings. Judge Dredd: Zombie Horde. Dreadball: Teratons. Battlefleet Gothic: Necrons.

Dabbling in alsorts.

Gary Martin

March 22, 2019, 06:02:25 pm #7 Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:08:28 pm by Gary Martin
So I have been given a comprehensive KoW campaign, with a players pack attached, and also a masters pack. Have a look and let me know if this meets expectations. No point reinventing the wheel if this works for people. Open as a word document.

Army lists would be 2500 and from Rule Book, Uncharted Empires and the Clash of Kings 2019.
Gary Martin

Daniel Phillips

There is some nice ideas in there, the only obvious issue I can see is when the map moves are done, it looks like all players are needed and dice are rolled which means it need to be done on the night. However if its done on the night you have two problems, people not generating a game that week and then not having a game and will everyone be able to complete a 2500 point game and do the post game sequence in the time available?
Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

Gary Martin

Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 23, 2019, 12:52:02 pm
There is some nice ideas in there, the only obvious issue I can see is when the map moves are done, it looks like all players are needed and dice are rolled which means it need to be done on the night. However if its done on the night you have two problems, people not generating a game that week and then not having a game and will everyone be able to complete a 2500 point game and do the post game sequence in the time available?

Good points Dan. I am thinking that we can set a time say 10.15pm when a post game, map moves etc are completed over a 15 minute period, so that the next campaign games are set. Players then play their games straight off on the night. Where players can't attend they know their opponent so can organise on another night to complete the game.
Gary Martin

Shawn Comer

Hopefully I'm not too late, but I think I would like to participate in this. I'll need to get an army, so not sure which I'll be yet.

Tom G

https://manticblog.com/2019/07/01/kings-of-war-third-edition-coming-october-2019/

I think we were aiming to start September?

Are we planning to:

Delay until the new rules are out.
Start using the 2nd rules and then switch to the new 3rd edition rules.
Start using the 2nd edition rules and continue to the end of the campaign.