• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2019, 01:06:31 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Saga campaign

Started by Andy Mellor, November 13, 2018, 03:53:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fisher

Just a quick note following the last round. Anyone who heard Andy Miller's howls of anguish may already know of the problem!

There are available two types of measuring stick for Saga, metric and imperial.

Imperial - 12" 6" 4" 2"
Metric - 30cm 15cm, 10cm 5cm

They look very similar!

We use the imperial measures. For those without measuring sticks (or with metric ones) you can use a standard tape measure, where L is 12", M is 6", S(or C) is 4" and VS is 2".

Finally a reminder that intention is more important than fractions of inches, so if when advancing you state you intend to be outside M from the nearest unit, then that is where you are applies to both you and you opponent), obviously this cannot be used to make a move longer than the measure, you can't run away M and and up M and a bit forward to make sure you are over M from and opponent who is chasing you, only when going towards!

But remember to be clear when you state your intent.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Carl Fisher

July 02, 2019, 03:29:46 pm #121 Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:34:45 pm by Carl Fisher
So the results following last night's match between me and Shawn:

1 - Andy Mellor
2 - Shawn
3 - Grahame
4 - Tom
5 - Andy Miller
6 - Rob
7 - Carl
8 - Collin

Experience Totals:

Andy Mellor - 15
Andy Miller - 12
Carl - 9
Collin - 8
Grahame - 13
Rob - 13
Shawn - 14
Tom - 6

Note these are Total Experience, can you please let me know of any spent experience, and what Talents you have taken.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Carl Fisher

July 02, 2019, 03:41:46 pm #122 Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:45:56 pm by Carl Fisher
So following the results for Game 3 the match ups for Game 4 are:

Andy Mellor (W) vs Tom (W)
Grahame (W) vs Shawn (W)
Andy Miller vs Rob
Carl vs Collin

Please let me know if I have matched anyone who you have played before (I think that is not the case but...)

Note all Winners from Game 3 (marked W above) are all playing with an additional point. Again there were no Draws in Game 3 so no Relics.

The scenario will declared nearer the day.

Game 4 will be played on Monday 05/08/2019. Please let me know if you will not be available, so we can reschedule your Game.

Grahame

Just discovered that I've been playing metric so far! Will make some proper imperial sticks and see my Norman knights charge just that bit further....
Grahame
PS - will be there on the 5th

Carl Fisher

There is now a revised FAQ for the books we are using - see attached files.

We will be following these for Game 4 and the rest of the campaign.

Where there are specific changes I have made for this Campaign these still remain, and are not replaced by any FAQ. If you are in doubt then let me know and I will clarify as required.

faq_vikings_2019_uk.pdffaq_rulebook_2019_uk.pdffaq_battle_book_2019_uk.pdf

Carl Fisher

July 18, 2019, 10:39:46 am #125 Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:54:53 am by Carl Fisher
For Game 4 we will play the Old Feud scenario from the Book of Battles - a copy is attached here for those who do not have a copy of the book.

For this scenario you will each need to provide a suitable figure to act as your Challenger, since you may not get your first choice, a suggest you bring a couple of suitable models.

There are no campaign modifications to this scenario! However there are Errata:

• Add Determination to the Brute's special rules
  • Remove <<if he has actually removed fatigue>> from the special rules of the Traitor. The Traitor can always rest and inflict fatigue even if he does not have it himself
  • Replace the profile of Soldier -

Saga Dice 0, Armour 5(6) Aggression 4

Bodyguard, Determination, Pride, Resilience,(1). The Soldier may not be activated for movement if he is within M
and line of sight of an enemy unit that he could reach with a charge. He is here for the fight of his life.

We will be applying all the 2019 Errata and FAQ, so please ensure you have a copy and have read them! Especially any changes that apply to your own Warband.

See you all on 05/08/2019.

Andy Mellor

Hi Carl
Could you give your interpretation of turn 1 for me please?

"but cannot activate any
, units to shoot or charge during the first turn of the game, and
cannot trigger any Saga abilities durinq the first turn."

I read this as player 1 gets all his saga dice but as he can not trigger any saga abilities (basic and advanced) all he can do is; we obey, determination and manoeuvre.

No point in having the dice, nor can they use them in player 2's first turn for defence, as they cant trigger any saga abilities in turn 1 not just their own turn 1?

Cheers

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Andy Mellor on July 19, 2019, 10:22:21 amHi Carl

"but cannot activate any

I read this as player 1 gets all his saga dice but as he can not trigger any saga abilities (basic and advanced) all he can do is; we obey, determination and manoeuvre.

No point in having the dice, nor can they use them in player 2's first turn for defence, as they cant trigger any saga abilities in turn 1 not just their own turn 1?

Cheers

I agree with your reading of the rule. You can however place dice, and any such dice will be available from turn 2. This does mean at the beginning of turn 2 you may use all 8 Saga dice.

This is especially useful if on turn 1 you are luck enough to roll the rare symbol.

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Carl Fisher on July 19, 2019, 04:41:41 pm

"but cannot activate any

Cheers

I agree with your reading of the rule. You can however place dice, and any such dice will be available from turn 2. This does mean at the beginning of turn 2 you may use all 8 Saga dice.

This is especially useful if on turn 1 you are luck enough to roll the rare symbol.
So following some checks, and other considerations, I propose the following change, replace Saga abilities, with ADVANCED Saga abilities. So Basic Saga abilities are allowed.

Also looking at the deployment rules, VS seems a little to close to get all the models of a unit in, you try it. I suggest the first model must be within VS and the rest of the unit must be as close to within VS as possible, and no model outside S.

Rob Farley

Quote from: Carl Fisher on July 19, 2019, 05:03:15 pm

"but cannot activate any

Cheers

So following some checks, and other considerations, I propose the following change, replace Saga abilities, with ADVANCED Saga abilities. So Basic Saga abilities are allowed.

Also looking at the deployment rules, VS seems a little to close to get all the models of a unit in, you try it. I suggest the first model must be within VS and the rest of the unit must be as close to within VS as possible, and no model outside S.
I read the deployment rule differently. The unit must be within VS, but there's no suggestion that means every model in the unit. So long as at least one model is within VS the rest of the unit can deploy as normal.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Andy Mellor

I would suggest player 1 can only use basic abilities in their first turn to move, after their first turn then they play as normal and can use all saga abilities in the 2nd players first turn.
The challenger can not use abilities as they are mercenaries, so they are relying on the rest of the warband for protection. Some armies (mine definitely) could cause a lot of damage if they are player 2, facing an army with just a combat pool?
With an extra point to spend, plus a challenger it will be almost like playing with 8pts,
Getting all 8 saga dice won't be a problem for turn 1 so loading the board is not a great advantage?

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Rob Farley on July 19, 2019, 07:17:17 pm

"but cannot activate any

Cheers

I read the deployment rule differently. The unit must be within VS, but there's no suggestion that means every model in the unit. So long as at least one model is within VS the rest of the unit can deploy as normal.

New FAQ states

For a unit to be at or within "X" it is sufficient that only one of its figurines is at "X" or less than "X". The only exception to this is during deployments. If a unit is to be deployed "within X" it is understood that it must be fully deployed "within X" (i.e. with all its figures fully within X or less).

Not going to be easy, basically a column! But I agree it should be just one figure within VS. How do you get a 12 figure cavalry unit VS to a 4 figure foot unit!

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Andy Mellor on July 19, 2019, 10:48:28 pm
Quote from: Rob Farley on July 19, 2019, 07:17:17 pm

"but cannot activate any

Cheers

New FAQ states

For a unit to be at or within "X" it is sufficient that only one of its figurines is at "X" or less than "X". The only exception to this is during deployments. If a unit is to be deployed "within X" it is understood that it must be fully deployed "within X" (i.e. with all its figures fully within X or less).

Not going to be easy, basically a column! But I agree it should be just one figure within VS. How do you get a 12 figure cavalry unit VS to a 4 figure foot unit!

Hence my proposed revision. Even extending it to S will still limit deployment! You will end up with a tightly grouped warband.

Carl Fisher

So today the latest FAQ has been updated!

Attached is the latest latest version!

I do not know what the differences are, but the file is smaller!