• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

August 20, 2019, 01:56:44 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Saga campaign

Started by Andy Mellor, November 13, 2018, 03:53:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Andy Miller on May 02, 2019, 09:49:58 am
Or perhaps scrap challenges and rely on the Campaign organiser to pit suitable opponents against one another?
Andy

Or the challenged warlord chooses to play "clash of warlords" or the given scenario?

Grahame

I don't think challenges should be used as a way of avoiding scenarios you don't like the look of. I intend to refuse all challenges and will not be issuing any. I am immune to taunting and implications about my manhood. Those who seek to avoid difficult tactical situations are the ones who need to look to their courage. Sagas and legends are not written about those looking for an easy victory!
Grahame

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Grahame on May 02, 2019, 04:30:48 pm
I don't think challenges should be used as a way of avoiding scenarios you don't like the look of. I intend to refuse all challenges and will not be issuing any. I am immune to taunting and implications about my manhood. Those who seek to avoid difficult tactical situations are the ones who need to look to their courage. Sagas and legends are not written about those looking for an easy victory!
Grahame

Immune to taunts!! What even "your mother was a hamster and your father smeld of elderberries" surely not?

Tom G

I am refusing all challenges this round as my Warlord does not see any of you as worthy challengers.  :P

Rob Farley

May 05, 2019, 04:38:37 pm #79 Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 09:03:07 pm by Rob Farley
Quote from: Tom G on May 05, 2019, 02:53:38 pm
I am refusing all challenges this round as my Warlord does not see any of you as worthy challengers.  :P

Well, that does mean that you lose 4 experience, like the cowardly wretch that you are.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Rob Farley on May 05, 2019, 04:38:37 pm

Well, that does mean that you lose 4 experience, like the cowardly wretch that you are.

Probably only 1 as three already spent on traits?

Rob Farley

Quote from: Andy Mellor on May 05, 2019, 09:46:16 pm

I was assuming negative numbers, otherwise there'd be no point to challenges if you could refuse them without any real consequence.

Either way, the bit about being a cowardly wretch still applies.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Rob Farley on May 06, 2019, 12:10:55 am
Quote from: Andy Mellor on May 05, 2019, 09:46:16 pm

I was assuming negative numbers, otherwise there'd be no point to challenges if you could refuse them without any real consequence.

Either way, the bit about being a cowardly wretch still applies.

Cant argue with that bit! Surprised though as fighting a warlord of higher experience earns the same rewards as winning the battle?

Me and Rob should of been challenged by all?

Carl Fisher

May 06, 2019, 10:12:31 am #83 Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:59:47 am by Carl Fisher
Just a brief explanation on Experience.

There are two counts of experience - Total and Available.

Neither can go below zero.

So for example someone who gain 4 experience in Game 1

Total - 4 Available - 4

Now say they spend 3 on Talents

Total - 4 Available - 1 Talents - 1

Next they loose 4pts for refusing a challenge

Total - 0 Available - 0 Talents - 1

Game 2 they gain 4pts again

Total - 4 Available - 4 Talents - 1

They choose another Talent (4pts as second talent tree used)

Total - 4 Available - 0 Talents - 2

Again they refuse a challenge (should lose 4 Pts but counts do not go negative)

Total - 0 Available - 0 Talents - 2

Note in the above example both talents are level 1 as only 3/4  points available each time.
To go up to a level 2 talent you need to have 6 points available when selecting, once you have opened a second tree this becomes 7.

I hope this is clearish.

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andy Mellor

Are we not using the rule that using a second talent  tree increases all costs by +1?

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Andy Mellor on May 06, 2019, 11:44:23 am
Are we not using the rule that using a second talent  tree increases all costs by +1?

Sorry - yes we are, but missing from my summary.

See above - example corrected.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Rob Farley

So, in the interests of clarity:

Tom's abject cowardice in the face of clearly superior competition means that his total experience drops to zero. His available experience also drops to zero, unless he's already spent it, in which case it remains at zero.

In any case, his craven nature has relegated him to last place in the campaign, where he obviously belongs.

Shawn Comer

Quote from: Carl Fisher on April 02, 2019, 10:33:16 am
Thanks to everyone who took part last night.

I have taken a quick look at the results forms, corrected one, as a result you all have experience to spend:

Rob - 5
Andy Mellor - 5
Grahame - 4
Andy B - 4
Andy Miller - 3
Tom - 3
Collin - 3

So you can all choose a level 1 trait for the next game.

We had two winners - Andy Mellor and Rob, who will both have 7 PT warbands next time

Collin and Shawn lost so can choose a Relic/Artifact for next time.

The rest were draws, better luck(?) next time.

Rob now has conquered Cornwall for Normans and Andy Mellor has expanded the Strathclyde kingdom into Fife.

Full placings and results to follow.

Just to clarify, I should have 3 experience, correct? 2 for participating in a battle and 1 for being in an attack? The experience carries over even if the warlord is knocked out, right?

Carl Fisher

Shawn, it has been corrected!

Sorry to have missed you off.

Carl Fisher

May 07, 2019, 04:20:28 pm #89 Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:53:20 pm by Carl Fisher
so I have reviewed the results from last night and the overall positions are as follows:

1 - Andy Mellor
2 - Andy Miller
3 - Rob Farley
4 - Shawn
5 - Grahame
6 - Carl
7 - Tom
8 - Andy Beer
9 - Collin

This is based on my "patent" threeway scoring system (patent pending!)

As far as Experience these are the available totals I have at the end of last night:

Andy Beer - 4
Andy Mellor - 7
Andy Miller - 5
Carl - 5
Collin - 6
Grahame - 7
Rob - 6
Shawn - 6
Tom - 3