Peterborough Wargames Club
April 19, 2019, 10:27:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Home   FORUM MAIN   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bolt Action escalation league  (Read 750 times)
Andy Miller

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2019, 01:48:41 pm »

Mellor vs Miller might work as we are both missing 22nd and it would be Germans vs Americans.
Andy

Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.
Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

In da beginning was da word and da word was WAAAGH

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2019, 02:24:15 pm »

FWIW on tanks, late-war tanks are the biggest* points-sink in the game and rarely, if ever, justify their inclusion in a list. They're good for exactly two things; looking really cool on the tabletop (which, in itself, is possibly enough to justify their inclusion) and killing other tanks. They struggle to cause enough damage against infantry-heavy armies, can't hold objectives and can be killed by a 5pt Panzerfaust or a handful of inexperienced troops with anti-tank grenades.

Early-war tanks on the other hand, can be awesome. You're not paying over the odds for heavy armour and big guns (which are deliberately overly expensive in Bolt Action), instead you get light anti-tank guns, howitzers and lots of machine guns. They're great against infantry and other light vehicles, and they stand a chance against late-war tanks (given decent tactics and a little luck). The multi-turret options can be terrifying.

Is this historically accurate? Probably not, no. But it is Bolt Action. It's always been an infantry-centric game, by design.

If the dice had fallen differently I'd be playing Finns. If I was, I'd have a T-26 in there from the start. They're outstanding value for the points, I take one in my tournament Finnish army and I'd use them against any opposition.

As it is though, I won't be using any armoured vehicles in any version of my list. Mostly because the communists don't have access to anything except some awful captured Japanese tanks, but I won't be missing them. The points are much better spent on solid infantry options.

But thats just my 2c-worth. YMMV.

* Well, 2nd biggest. After the Bronekater. But that's got enough turrets to almost justify itself, if you're nuts enough to take one.

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish
Andy Mellor

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2019, 03:18:45 pm »

Mellor vs Miller might work as we are both missing 22nd and it would be Germans vs Americans.
Andy

Sorry  Andy my 500pt,  battle hardened elite panzer divisions platoon, is taking on a bunch of scrub newbies in green tomorrow.
martink0646

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2019, 06:50:01 am »

Damn right what-o...Toodle pip & down with the Nazis

MartinK
=========================================
Sorry, I mean "damn tooting pardner".  Getting confused...thought I was using my Home Guard  Shocked

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:08:35 am by martink0646 » Logged

Bolt Action: US & German
martink0646

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2019, 06:58:51 am »

Hi All,

Final list for the 22nd although we still have a couple of unconfirmed players listed below.  We are now past the deadline but if you want to play on the 22nd let me know as soon as possible.  Don't just turn up...there WON'T be a table for you

This gives us 22 players in total but of the confirmed players for the 22nd there are 15, meaning 8 tables.  I will bring my army & am planning to play James Batchelor but we have flexibility if we have no shows. I want everyone to have a game. 

You must let me know if your name is not confirmed below but you wish to paly on the 22nd or there will NOT be a table for you.

Tony Sansom - British (Sikhs)++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Martin Knowles - US Battling Bastards of Bataan++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing on the 15th *
Paul Yamcha Smith - German SS+++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Rob Farley - Chinese++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Chris Davies - Russians+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
'Boris' Dudley - Russians++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Grahame - British+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Andy Mellor - Germans 19th Panzer Division+++++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing on the 15th *
Kevin Godbold - British
Phil J - Dak

Michael J Fox - Germans++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Andy Miller - US 1st Infantry Division+++++++++++++++++++Confirmed* Playing 29th (TBC)*
Stephen Butcher - (?)[/b][/i]
Daniel Phillips - Germans+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Mark Gilby - (?)
Gary Martin - Germans++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Simon Deane - Japanese+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Tom G - Romanians+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Phil Freer - Russians++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Dale Robinson - Russians+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
Newt - Finns++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
James Batchelor - U.S. Airborne+++++++++++++++++++++++Confirmed
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:25:57 pm by martink0646 » Logged

Tom G

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2019, 03:18:37 pm »

confirmed 22nd.
tony

« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 06:02:19 pm »

So seems more allied than axis quite happy to swop to german
James Batchelor

« Reply #82 on: Today at 04:04:37 pm »

Martin. I'm not around on Monday - forgotten it was Easter weekend, and we are away.
martink0646

« Reply #83 on: Today at 09:09:16 pm »

So seems more allied than axis quite happy to swop to german

I accepted that we are going to have some blue on blue so I'm fine with you running the Sikhs. Bring whatever you want run...don't worry about the match-ups Smiley

MartinK

martink0646

« Reply #84 on: Today at 09:10:47 pm »

Martin. I'm not around on Monday - forgotten it was Easter weekend, and we are away.

Thanks for letting me know. If you still want to join the league you can catch up anytime in the next 4 weeks.  Let me know which Monday is best & I'll run you through the game & play your first round killing two birds with one stone.

MartinK

martink0646

« Reply #85 on: Today at 09:12:04 pm »

Hi All,

Attached is the player pack for round one of the Bolt Action Escalation League. If you are playing on Monday (22nd), please download & read.  Thank you.

MartinK

(Also posted on FB)

* PWGC Bolt Action Escaltion League.pdf (83.7 KB - downloaded 1 times.)

Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

In da beginning was da word and da word was WAAAGH

« Reply #86 on: Today at 10:06:17 pm »

Presumably James could play Andy on the 29th?

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: