Peterborough Wargames Club
September 24, 2018, 07:53:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Home   FORUM MAIN   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bolt Action All Day Game, December 9th  (Read 105 times)
Rob Farley
Administrator
Forum Deity

In da beginning was da word and da word was WAAAGH

« on: September 07, 2018, 08:18:45 pm »

This was mentioned at the meeting on Monday, but here goes with some details...

Since we aren't doing a tournament this year Martin and I were discussing putting on another Bolt Action all-day game instead. The idea we came up with was the Battle for Berlin game we tried to run last year but couldn't get the room booked. These are my initial thoughts on running it, feel free to chime in with comments.

Basically, this would be a "what if" scenario - what if the western allies had made it to Berlin at the same time as the Russians? Whichever side manages to sieze the Reichstag and the Fuhrerbunker would win a huge propaganda victory in the inevitable ideological conflict to come. Alternatively, if the Germans could hold out long enough, they might be able to secure enough time for their leaders to escape.

Big table (6'×16'?) with Russians at the eastern end, British and Americans at the western end and Germans all across the middle, in defensive positions and probably in ambush. 2000 points per player ideally, though we can tweak this to balance sides if necessary. We'd be using the city fighting rules from various campaign books, and forces would be chosen from the following theatre selectors.

Germany - Last Levy
Soviet Union - Death of the Third Reich
Britain - Into the Reich
U.S. - Rhineland

Multiple platoons are fine. So are armoured platoons, so long as they use units available in the above selectors, but bear in mind that vehicles can suffer in a city fight.

The Germans would be outnumbered and surrounded, but this would be balanced by the scenario. I'm thinking of giving them the option to buy the Fanatics rule for all their infantry, since a lot will have it already and dug-in fanatics with assault weapons should help balance things nicely.

Right now, we need to know who's interested, which army they'd want to use and how many points they have available. If you want to play but don't have the right armies and/or enough points please say so, we should be able to provide loaner forces.

Interested Parties
Rob - Russians
Chris - Russians

Gary - Germans
Dan - Germans

Martin - Americans
Kevin - British
Grahame - British/Americans
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:33:26 am by Rob Farley » Logged

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: House Uller of Hellholt plus associated scenery, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish
Godbold

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:51:41 pm »

I would be interested.I have 2000+ British.
Gary Martin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:50:07 pm »

I’d be interested with German. Can lend forces of other nations

Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.
Daniel Phillips
Administrator

No Plan Survives Contact with One's Allies

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:23:03 am »

I'm interested. 2000 points German.

Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.
Grahame

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 12:18:44 pm »

Can do 2000+  of Brits and/or Yanks
Grahame
Chris Davies

Are you sure that's wise, sir?

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 01:58:50 pm »

Can do 2,000 pts Russians.

The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons; Operation Squad Russian Guards Rifle Squad 750 points;Russian Assault Squad 495 points; Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin gang; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians and 6mm dwarfs.
martink0646

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:32 am »

Hi Rob,

Sounds great.  I think you've got it about spot on, just need to add a prelim bombardment as discussed.  A table set-up like this means we could also be a bit more realistic with artillery.  I am thinking of something like keeping all artillery on the back line & as forces approach 'Berlin' & some variability to mirror misplaced artillery strikes, e.g. roll a one & it hits your own nearest unit.  This would make people think carefully about using HE.  And/or, make all artillery indirect only with no ranging in using maybe 5's & 6's instead of only 6's to mirror miscommunication & severed communication lines.  This would also allow me to finally use my 'Long Tom' which I've had for years but never felt able to use Smiley.

I would need to be US though as I have moved my Germans on to pastures new.  I have probably between 4-6,000 points US so could field 3 armies at a push if anyone needs to borrow any items/armies plus I could probably field 2,000 points of Brits.

MartinK

Bolt Action: US & German
Alan P

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 02:17:53 pm »

Sounds a really interesting game - I'd like to take part on German side with 2,000 points if space available - thanks Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: