• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

November 14, 2019, 04:09:18 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Bolt Action All Day Game, December 9th

Started by Rob Farley, September 07, 2018, 09:18:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Farley

September 07, 2018, 09:18:45 pm Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:51:05 pm by Rob Farley
This was mentioned at the meeting on Monday, but here goes with some details...

Since we aren't doing a tournament this year Martin and I were discussing putting on another Bolt Action all-day game instead. The idea we came up with was the Battle for Berlin game we tried to run last year but couldn't get the room booked. These are my initial thoughts on running it, feel free to chime in with comments.

Basically, this would be a "what if" scenario - what if the western allies had made it to Berlin at the same time as the Russians? Whichever side manages to sieze the Reichstag and the Fuhrerbunker would win a huge propaganda victory in the inevitable ideological conflict to come. Alternatively, if the Germans could hold out long enough, they might be able to secure enough time for their leaders to escape.

Big table (6'×16'?) with Russians at the eastern end, British and Americans at the western end and Germans all across the middle, in defensive positions and probably in ambush. 2000 points per player ideally, though we can tweak this to balance sides if necessary. We'd be using the city fighting rules from various campaign books, and forces would be chosen from the following theatre selectors.

Germany - Last Levy
Soviet Union - Death of the Third Reich
Britain - Into the Reich
U.S. - Rhineland

Multiple platoons are fine. So are armoured platoons, so long as they use units available in the above selectors, but bear in mind that vehicles can suffer in a city fight.

The Germans would be outnumbered and surrounded, but this would be balanced by the scenario. I'm thinking of giving them the option to buy the Fanatics rule for all their infantry, since a lot will have it already and dug-in fanatics with assault weapons should help balance things nicely.

Right now, we need to know who's interested, which army they'd want to use and how many points they have available. If you want to play but don't have the right armies and/or enough points please say so, we should be able to provide loaner forces.

Interested Parties
Rob - Russians
Chris - Russians

Gary - Germans
Dan - Germans
Alan - Germans

Martin - Americans
Kevin - British
Grahame - British/Americans
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Godbold

I would be interested.I have 2000+ British.

Gary Martin

I'd be interested with German. Can lend forces of other nations
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Daniel Phillips

Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

Grahame

Can do 2000+  of Brits and/or Yanks
Grahame

Chris Davies

The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons;  Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin/Vampire gangs; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians; AoM undead.

martink0646

Hi Rob,

Sounds great.  I think you've got it about spot on, just need to add a prelim bombardment as discussed.  A table set-up like this means we could also be a bit more realistic with artillery.  I am thinking of something like keeping all artillery on the back line & as forces approach 'Berlin' & some variability to mirror misplaced artillery strikes, e.g. roll a one & it hits your own nearest unit.  This would make people think carefully about using HE.  And/or, make all artillery indirect only with no ranging in using maybe 5's & 6's instead of only 6's to mirror miscommunication & severed communication lines.  This would also allow me to finally use my 'Long Tom' which I've had for years but never felt able to use :).

I would need to be US though as I have moved my Germans on to pastures new.  I have probably between 4-6,000 points US so could field 3 armies at a push if anyone needs to borrow any items/armies plus I could probably field 2,000 points of Brits.

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos
28mm: Wish List - Hungarian/Romanian army
Cruel Seas: British & German starter forces.
Wish List: Star Wars Legion box set

Alan P

Sounds a really interesting game - I'd like to take part on German side with 2,000 points if space available - thanks Alan

Mike Whitaker

Just as a note, I will be running a couple of games of Dux Brit downstairs for anyone interested (Colin, poss Andy M).
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Andy Miller

Checked and working, remembered this was why I didn't sign up in the first place.
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Shawn Comer

I would be interested in Dux Brit despite having never played it before.

martink0646

Hi,

A few thoughts...with so many players on one board (however big) it will be difficult to play traditionally as in a dice from the bag, act, next dice etc.  I played in an all day game with two teams & multiple players per team earlier in the year.  It was structured so that each turn took 1 hour.  All dice were placed in a (large) bag & when one dice was pulled, whichever side it was were given 3 dice to activate.  Once those three dice were used another dice was pulled & three more given out to activate & so on.  At the end of the turn (the one hour mark) all dice were returned to the bag regardless of what was left & if any were unused.  This encouraged teamwork & tactical planning as it meant deciding whose units were to be moved & without planning & communication it would bog down.  This worked very well for two sides with four players per side.  It will probably need some thinking for the three sides we are considering. 

Another potential way of working is that players are matched up & play directly against an opposing player in the traditional way except the board they are playing on will be common ground for all players meaning interaction with other forces & again, the need for teamwork.

These are just suggestions on the play mechanic.  Feel free to pile in.

I have some other ideas about actually playing the game such as the treatment of HE which we should be able to model more realistically than on a 6' by 4' table & we will probably want to look at Tiger Fear excluding Panzer IV's.  If anyone has any other particular bugbears about the rules this will be a good opportunity to 'house rule' it.

MartinK
28mm: Ready for Action - Home Guard, Brit Recon Force, US Army, US Marines, Battling Bastards of Bataan, early war French. 
28mm: In Build - 'The Eagle Has Landed' list, Brit Commandos, Captain America & the Howling Commandos
28mm: Wish List - Hungarian/Romanian army
Cruel Seas: British & German starter forces.
Wish List: Star Wars Legion box set

Grahame

I agree that tiger fear should exclude panzer 4 by this time in the war. The scenario is really two games back to back - soviet vs germans & allies vs germans - so why not structure it like that. The germans would be able to move units between the games/tables. This would make dice drawing more straight forward and each game could proceed at its own pace in real time and no need for a time limit. We could perhaps include artillery/air strikes ending up on the other table by chance.
Grahame
PS I'll be bringing Americans.

Andy Mellor

I thought the idea behind the Tiger rule was that the allies thought their was a possibility of a tiger ahead, any tank noise or rumour meant tiger? Which fits for a Pz4, the rule is not used if shooting at the Pz4 and I wouldn't expect them to last long in 1945?

Rob Farley

First draft of the scenario rules attached. Note that this is just the scenario, I haven't covered how we'll be drawing dice from the bag so that's still up for discussion.

PLEASE let me know if you see any issues with the scenario, as I said it's still a first draft (well, maybe more of a fourth or fifth draft at this point but you get the idea).

And I agree with Andy with regard to Tiger Fear. It's a badly written rule and I really don't like it but it's all about the fear of what COULD BE a Tiger. If we're using the rule, then we use it as it stands.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish