• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 19, 2019, 05:14:11 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

What A Tanker Campaign

Started by Gary Martin, June 03, 2018, 11:17:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller

Covered in butter, or was that Lurpak?
That mental picture can never be unseen!
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Pippa Peile

We will both be there Monday.

Rob Farley

Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Andy Mellor

My apologies Gary, but I can't make it tonight.

Shawn Comer

Godbold

Gary Martin

Slightly delayed in London should get to club by 7.30. We need two 6 x 4 tables side by side with winter cloths, a few feet apart.
Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Pippa Peile

Gary Martin

September 04, 2018, 12:02:29 pm #53 Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:18:29 pm by Gary Martin
Campaign day - 28 Nov 43

With German defences crumbling around the strategically important Barzany Railhead, 5th Guards Tank Army threw in its newly arrived makeshift platoons to achieve a final breakthrough. HQ II SS Panzer Korps knowing that the loss of this important reinforcement hub would throw the line back 20km, and make deploying the arriving LAH impossible, launched plts of Stug and Pzr IVH straight from the rail flatbeds. After a sharp engagement Soviet forces were forced to withdraw with heavy losses, enabling LAH elements to deploy forward and secure the railhead for future operations.

Campaign Standing;

German = 14 (2 x wins, Bonus for both wins, 6 Soviet Tanks Knocked out)
Soviet  = 0

Character Standing;

All players (except Andy Mellor and Mike) have 28 Nov 43 recorded in Paybooks as a day in combat.
Chris is awarded Star of Lenin 2nd Class for heroically dashing across the table under heavy fire to seize a vital objective. Received 2RP and a free draw of card at next scenario.
Dave and Andy Miller are both awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class for each destroying 2 tanks. Both receive 2CP & 2RP and retain the 2 cards they drew. (Dave Sandbags & Hell driving, Andy Quick Snifter and Cool Hand)
Kevin and Tom each receive 1CP for destroying a Tank and retain the card they drew. Hot Tracer and Hell Driving respectfully.

German
Dave & Andy Miller on 4
Tom & Kevin on 1
Remainder on 0

Soviet
Chris on 2
Remainder on 0

Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.

Gary Martin

Thanks for everyones efforts last night and playing the game in the spirit it was intended.

A couple of things to change for next time.

* Russian Player will always be on +1 when rolling to come back. The roll takes place in the turn after being knocked out.
* Russian Player will upgrade after 3 Kills and not 4. After 6 Kills they can upgrade to an SU 100 (haven't got any so will need to source some)
* Russian Player only required to change a die to a 1, when they are the attacker. At the turn after they are fired at for the first time this requirement ceases, as they are then considered engaged.
* Objectives are taken when a player comes within 4" of it uncontested. It is then retained until an opponent gets within 4" of it uncontested.

Feedback on campaign and ideas are welcome to tweak for next time.
Gary Martin

Mike Whitaker

Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Rob Farley

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think something major needs to be done to balance the Russian and German forces on the tabletop. The T-34s are outclassed against the Panzers, and hopelessly outclassed against the Stugs. Any battle where the forces are numerically equal is always going to be completely one-sided unless the scenario is specifically written to favour the Russians, unlike game 1 where the scenario heavily favoured the Germans. Plus the campaign special rule that messes up the Russians even more, especially since we proved in game 1 that it doesn't work (either tactically or thematically).

I've seen all the stuff you've already mentioned Gary, and none of that will fix the problem. All it will do is provide more T-34s for the Stugs to kill. It won't actually do anything to give the Russians a fighting chance.

Given the vehicles involved, the Russians need a clear numerical advantage over the Germans for it to be close to fair. I'd say one extra tank against the Panzers and two against the Stugs. Minimum.

As it stands, I found myself enjoying game 1 in spite of the game itself instead of because of it. Which is not a good sign.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Andy Miller

September 22, 2018, 02:48:47 pm #57 Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:52:15 pm by Andy Miller
I've also have had a think!
I do agree with the majority with what Rob has said and we had spoken about it a week ago as players having view points from either side.
So here goes, just thoughts and ideas:-
The PzIV and certainly StuGs do out class the T34. In reality the Germans usually outgunned the Russians, however the Russians relied often on numbers. I think Rob's idea is sound to have more Russians. My suggestion would be 50% more (rounding down against PzIVs and up against StuGs.
2 German = 3 Russian
3 German = 4 Russian (vs PzIV) or 5 Russian (vs StuG)
4 Geman = 6 Russian
5 German = 7 or 8 Russian (respectively)
etc
Equally happy to go with Rob's +1 vs PzIV , +2 vs StuG idea
All players still maintain there character tank. Any extra tank(s) are taken in turns to control. Anyone off table for that turn has priority, but all players then roll off for control, so it may make some inconsistent turns as different players take control of this expendable tank, "Crazy Ivan" or possibly "Bonkers Boris".
These tanks also roll to come back on.
This should negate the Russian bonus of getting back on table more easily.

The "advancing Russian" national characteristic is not working as intended in some situations. Possible fix - It should read that a Russian player should have to change any one of their dice to a "1" only if they do not already have a "1" in there command dice initial roll. This rule only applies if the Russian tank is not engaged. Taking engaged to mean "has been shot at" or "has already acquired a target"

Just some thoughts for discussion.
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Rob Farley

Quote from: Andy Miller on September 22, 2018, 02:48:47 pm
The "advancing Russian" national characteristic is not working as intended in some situations. Possible fix - It should read that a Russian player should have to change any one of their dice to a "1" only if they do not already have a "1" in there command dice initial roll. This rule only applies if the Russian tank is not engaged. Taking engaged to mean "has been shot at" or "has already acquired a target"

That would certainly work better.

Tom G

September 26, 2018, 11:48:25 pm #59 Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:53:06 pm by Tom G
Quote from: Rob Farley on September 22, 2018, 05:30:05 pm
Quote from: Andy Miller on September 22, 2018, 02:48:47 pm

That would certainly work better.

That is what I thought the rule was initially just from a common sense point of view. Then I found out the rule as written and thought it seemed a bit too restrictive.

I like the idea of being far more outnumbered by the Russians. More tanks for my Stug to destroy.  :P

*edit - grammar