• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

January 24, 2020, 11:59:32 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Pikeman's Lament ECW campaign

Started by Grahame, January 16, 2018, 09:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahame

What you all need to bring on Monday- your full 36 points + reserve + figure representing you. Please also bring the following: rules, roster sheets for your officer, army lists, dice, wavering makers, ruler and a pen & paper etc. For parliament bring a rebellious frame of mind and for the king bring a cavalier attitude!
If you need to borrow anything please let me know. Please try to get there as early as possible as we have seven tables to set up and some admin to get through before we transport ourselves back to the eastern shires of England in 1643.
For King, Kingdom and Parliament [an real slogan of the time]
Grahame

Carl Fisher

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andy Miller

Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Grahame

Thanks to everyone for last night - I hope you enjoyed the start of the campaign. Only a couple of units were wiped out and the vast majority of your soldiers will be coming back to fight again......
May 1643 - Royalist troops from Newark strike hard into Parliamentary territory and sweep aside those forces sent against them. Other Royalist advances are turned back even losing some artillery in the process. There was inconsequential skirmishing over a bridge between the Scots and Sir Jacob Astley's advance party which saw the Scots dragoons roughly handled but saw a newly raised troop of cavaliers running from the field. The arrival of Sir Thomas Fairfax and his forces from Hull  into Lincolnshire has bolstered the Parliamentary cause and seen the fortunes of Parliament revived. The soldiers of Parliament are now realising that the armies of the King are not invincible and thus are determined to take the fight to their enemy.

June 1643 will be on the 18th June when Parliament strikes back. We will be using -
Missions:  D - River crossing     G - Beating up quarters and J - Rescue mission. As before I will be tweaking victory conditions.
Grahame

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Grahame on May 22, 2018, 07:53:48 pm
Thanks to everyone for last night - I hope you enjoyed the start of the campaign. Only a couple of units were wiped out and the vast majority of your soldiers will be coming back to fight again......
May 1643 - Royalist troops from Newark strike hard into Parliamentary territory and sweep aside those forces sent against them. Other Royalist advances are turned back even losing some artillery in the process. There was inconsequential skirmishing over a bridge between the Scots and Sir Jacob Astley's advance party which saw the Scots dragoons roughly handled but saw a newly raised troop of cavaliers running from the field. The arrival of Sir Thomas Fairfax and his forces from Hull  into Lincolnshire has bolstered the Parliamentary cause and seen the fortunes of Parliament revived. The soldiers of Parliament are now realising that the armies of the King are not invincible and thus are determined to take the fight to their enemy.

June 1643 will be on the 18th June when Parliament strikes back. We will be using -
Missions:  D - River crossing     G - Beating up quarters and J - Rescue mission. As before I will be tweaking victory conditions.
Grahame

Do we know who is the Attacker/Defender?
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andy Miller

Grahame,
Thanks for the update. The next skirmish clashes with my summer holidays and I won't be able to make it, sorry, not very puritanical.
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Grahame

Parliament strikes back -they will be the attacker in all games. Rescue mission is based on the real event in 1643 when Oxford Royalists surprised the Bedford  Parliament County Committee and captured them - this will be the rescue attempt. Beating up quarters is based on the fight at St Neots and the river crossing is based on a skirmish near Northampton.
Grahame

Andy Miller

Grahame,
Due to work and holidays, as I've said, I won't be able to take part next month. However, if there is anyone else from the royalist's side in the same boat I'll happily play them this coming Monday. If there are any royalist's prepared to "sally forth" please let me know and I'll happily play any mission required.
Andy

Grahame

Andy - if you manage to arrange a game can you let me know. I need to provide you with the victory conditions etc. I suggest river crossing is the easiest to play.
Gahame

Grahame

On the Cromwell Association website there is a link to the  Directory of Parliamentary Officers - a fantastic resource that lists every known officer who fought for Parliament and gives details of where & when they served. 
I found a Henry Middleton - a captain in Sir John Norwich's Regt. of Horse in the Eastern Association army. Later served in the New Model Army in Vermuyden's regt. as Captain till dismissed in 1647 [but it doesn't say why]. I'm sure there are similar resources for the Royalists too so why not name your officer after a real one.
Grahame

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Grahame on May 24, 2018, 03:08:33 pm
On the Cromwell Association website there is a link to the  Directory of Parliamentary Officers - a fantastic resource that lists every known officer who fought for Parliament and gives details of where & when they served. 
I found a Henry Middleton - a captain in Sir John Norwich's Regt. of Horse in the Eastern Association army. Later served in the New Model Army in Vermuyden's regt. as Captain till dismissed in 1647 [but it doesn't say why]. I'm sure there are similar resources for the Royalists too so why not name your officer after a real one.
Grahame

Already done - Sir Charles Cavendish - lead a force of Horse and Dragoons into Lincolnshire in 1643!

However I am avoiding Gainsborough.

Grahame

He must have rolled 3 on that table on page 11 when he went to Gainsborough!
Grahame

Grahame

The next game has been brought forward and will now be next week. Please let me know if you can't make it.
will now be next week.
Grahame

Grahame

Please have a look at the missions we will be doing [D G J ]. As before you do not have to decide which units you will be using until you know which mission/table you will be on. We will need to do some 'housekeeping' as regards officers status/promotion/new traits etc before deciding which mission/table you are on as what your officer is like could influence where he and his company are best placed.
Grahame
PS I really do need you to confirm if you will be there.

Carl Fisher