• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

August 15, 2020, 05:23:36 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Pikeman's Lament ECW campaign

Started by Grahame, January 16, 2018, 09:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Mellor

May 15, 2018, 08:20:15 am #75 Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:14:34 am by Andy Mellor
On the mission Gå På (and all missions for qualifying for honour points ie rout destroy half enermys units). Are units that voluntarily withdrawl from the table counted as routed/wiped out for game objectives?

Otherwise it is possible to rout one enermy unit and then leave the table and win the game?
Ie giving the enermy the field and victory to preserve your army for another day?

Grahame

Players need to think about the long view and campaign season as a whole - units that withdraw are not routed so do not count although they will be considered as "no longer in the game" which affects when the game ends and those holding the field will count as victorious. Honour is awarded for all sorts of stuff - as well as the mission. "He who fights and runs away......." the aim of the campaign is to be  on  the most victorious side so the sum total of honour is more important than individual scores although officers who win games will be rewarded with promotion etc. A hit and run tactic - killing but not being killed- will gradually whittle away the enemy's numbers and resolve. Propaganda always favours those holding the field at the end of the day - the newspapers of the day loved a good battle result to report but the war favours those who still have an army at the end of the campaign season. The results will be translated into a narrative that describes how the war is going, which side is advancing and territory/towns gained etc.
Grahame
PS I can lend limbers if need be - just make sure I know you need one in advance. There are only a couple of players using field guns. You will need a move activation to limber up. All figures must be painted and based so if anyone is struggling to get their army ready for next week please let me know.

Andy Mellor

So on Gå På if I withdraw my entire army on turn 1 I'll get 3 honour for a draw and 3 honour for no more than a handkerchief raised?
Much better result than possibly fighting???

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Andy Mellor on May 15, 2018, 12:19:33 pm
So on Gå På if I withdraw my entire army on turn 1 I'll get 3 honour for a draw and 3 honour for no more than a handkerchief raised?
Much better result than possibly fighting???

Have I misunderstood Grahame - I thought he meant in Games Terms you had still "Quit the Field" - so given victory to your opponent. So no Honour for the Scenario, but yes you can still claim 3 Honour for "Not a Handkerchief Raised".

Though not very Honourable?

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andy Mellor

In the first mission you only count units routed or wiped out, so if one army quits the table it's a draw! Or a raiding army just needs to rout 1 more unit than it suffers, and then withdraws for a win? On other missions you will lose as there are objectives on the table which decide victory.

As Greame says units left will no longer be counted so I assume that if your opponent has 6 unit, then 2 withdraw you only need to wipe out 2 to claim half the enermy army destroyed or routed

Mike Whitaker

I'm pretty sure Grahame can adjust the victory conditions to reflect the spirit, rather than the letter, of the scenario.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Grahame

What Mike said - although you will know in advance which missions are being played, you won't know if I have adjusted the victory conditions to make a better fit for the campaign until you reach the battlefield.
I generally will not be adjusting special orders but in the case of "pocket handkerchief" there is a risk that players see it as a free 3 honour therefore it cannot count if your officers unit withdraws from the field - if your officer goes & hides in a wood etc  till the end of the game then the order is as per the rules. Stand firm also looks  to be in a similar vein but it does say units may leave to fulfil mission goals so that stays as written.
You cannot claim victory by withdrawing your army and leaving the field to the enemy - that will end the game and the army on the field will claim victory- unless the mission says otherwise. It is ok to give your enemy a bloody nose causing many casualties and then withdraw with your army intact and may be what you need to do in the context of the campaign but there's not a lot of honour in that...... I will let you know the exact victory conditions next week.

Grahame

Forlorn Hope aggressive - I've been asked about what happens to this type of unit if it is coming back having fled the field....aggressive describes the troop type rather than an aspect of behaviour eg storming party so they will come back as aggressive as this is about how they are armed BUT they are no longer Ferocious EXCEPT in the special case of storming/defending a breach in fortifications or defences.
Grahame

Grahame

As I will be playing in the campaign but also running it  I have decided that I will play no part in deciding which table/mission I will be doing and will leave that to others fighting for the same cause. I will also be providing sketch maps for each table but the players will set up the terrain for the game. I will do my best to be even handed between the two sides. As mentioned above the progress of each side will be communicated as a narrative of how the war is going - I will not be publishing league tables between games but will publish the results at the end.

Pippa Peile

Quote from: Grahame on May 15, 2018, 11:14:51 am
.All figures must be painted and based so if anyone is struggling to get their army ready for next week please let me know.

I didn't realise this. Mine are being painted at moment but might not be totally finished for Monday. Ash is only picking some of his up on Sunday at Partizan so will be in same boat. Is it alright if we promise to have it completed for next month?

Mike Whitaker

I can lend you spare shot, pike and cavalry, probably :D
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

tony

I've only managed to paint a pike block !

Grahame

Ok -as this is the first time I have said this about needing to have painted and based figures  then it is an aspiration to aim for. Paint is better at stopping bullets! As long as you have correct figures to represent what they are - could we at least aim to have them undercoated.
Grahame

Andy Miller

QuotePaint is better at stopping bullets!

What bonus do I get for painting mine twice? Can my garrison gun be converted to fire thinners? (only kidding)
All seems fine and dandy, can't wait to get started :)
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Pippa Peile