• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

December 16, 2019, 06:59:16 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Pikeman's Lament ECW campaign

Started by Grahame, January 16, 2018, 09:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahame

Nope - this is war! I want to avoid tinkering with the rules as far as possible. Just try not getting units into that situation  - if an officer gets their commanded shot run down by wild charging gallopers then that is just the cruelty of war.
Grahame

Pippa Peile

Couple of questions from Ash. Are we correct in assuming a field gun if routed or killed would come back as a regimental gun?
If raw must have units are taken and are either routed or killed would they come back as basic units and lose raw status.

Pippa Peile

Also to make sure i've understood, is the below correct;

Must have unit killed = comes back next game but without upgrades.
Must have unit routed = comes back next game but without upgrades.
Could have unit killed = gone for good.
Could have unit routed = comes back next game but without upgrades.

Grahame

You are correct about who comes back but I hadn't actually considered raw troops - if a two point unit comes back as a four point unit then you could to over the 36 point limit and I don't think a raw unit that ran away would come back braver! So raw comes back as raw. A field gun would come back as a regimental gun on the grounds that field guns are rare and hard to replace but an army would find it easier to find and deploy smaller guns.

Mike Whitaker

Surely 'must have' routed comes back with upgrades?
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on May 10, 2018, 04:52:31 pm

Sadly not:

QuoteUnits destroyed on the battlefield or rout from the battlefield:
Must Haves - these can be replaced at no extra cost but may only come back without upgrades
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Carl Fisher on May 10, 2018, 05:02:16 pm
Quote from: Mike Whitaker on May 10, 2018, 04:52:31 pm

Sadly not:

QuoteUnits destroyed on the battlefield or rout from the battlefield:
Must Haves - these can be replaced at no extra cost but may only come back without upgrades

Permission to disagree with that one - I think if you make a retreat, controlled or otherwise, you should get to keep your perks.
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Mike Whitaker on May 14, 2018, 10:10:54 am

Permission to disagree with that one - I think if you make a retreat, controlled or otherwise, you should get to keep your perks.

Hence my question reference units that retreat off the table, or are reduced to zero by continuous retreat vs Rout as per the Morale rules.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Grahame

In the context of the campaign I am allowing you to withdraw from  the field and maintain your 'perks'. If you have been dispersed/whittled away or routed on field then I will be sticking with what I have said already.
Grahame

Andy Mellor

Would it be possible to role for officer traits before handing in army lists tonight?
As a poor leader might need better troops/heroes instead of my planned army of average?

Tom G

Would it be possible to have an option to withdraw the heavy field guns from the table if we have horses to limber up?

Grahame

I wouldn't plan your army around your officer - he could be dead by the end of game 1! So we'll roll for our officers next week but you do not need to make a final decision about which particular 24 points you'll be using until you know your mission/table.
As I am allowing units to withdraw from the table then field guns can too but you must have an actual limber model to drag it off the field. Should the gun be in a fixed emplacement then the gun will have to be abandoned by the crew. This should not be used to reposition guns - only to drag them off field.

Grahame

I missed a comment about who survives etc - remember if your unit is still on the table at the end of the game it comes back at full strength and with all perks intact even if it is wavering and heading for the edge of the table in retreat. It is only units that have left the table that suffer.

Mike Whitaker

Quoteyou must have an actual limber model to drag it off the field

That's a bit unfair on someone who's paid the points for the gun, but doesn't have a limber.

Andy Mellor

I wouldn't plan your army around your officer - he could be dead by the end of game 1!

That was my plan with Roose Bolton but he survived for the entire campaign!!!

Only the good ones die yoing :)