• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

December 14, 2019, 02:04:25 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Pikeman's Lament ECW campaign

Started by Grahame, January 16, 2018, 09:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahame

yes - officer can join a unit at start of a game and assuming he survives he can join a different unit next game - a different mission may mean the officer will shift his focus on where he will be needed.
I see where you are coming from [ depends if you see Aggressive as an advantage or liability] but Aggressive is listed as an upgrade even if it is 0 points so I will stick with what I said -  a unit that ran away comes back just as Gallopers. I see it as a unit that has fled the field has had the stuffing knocked out of it so no wild charges. An elite unit of Trotters that has fled the field will end up full of new recruits so is no longer elite and so on.
Grahame

Carl Fisher

OK.

I still have my basic reservation that all the choice and flavour will have been lost after the first few games, when we are all down to basic must have units.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Grahame

Depends on what you have chosen, how carefully you use them or how reckless you want to be. One of my aims was to make officers care about their men and be prepared to withdraw from one fight so they are there for the next one. If you can keep most of your units still in the fight at the end of the campaign then you are likely to win the war even if you have had to give ground at times. Remember what happened to the Royalst cavalry - sweeping all before them but still losing all the important battles and the war.

Rob Farley

Quote from: Grahame on May 04, 2018, 04:12:33 pm
One of my aims was to make officers care about their men and be prepared to withdraw from one fight so they are there for the next one.

I couldn't help but chuckle at this. I had the same idea with the original Direwolf Rampant campaign rules, but certain people (who shall remain nameless) couldn't resist getting their armies wiped out every time. ::)
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

colinabrett

Hi Grahame,

I believe the deadline for army submissions is the 14th before the campaign begins on the 21st. Is that right? You've probably answered all these questions up-thread, so I apologise if this is repetitious.

I have a small Parliamentarian Field Army comprising

Must Haves

Trotters (4)
Pike (4)
Shot (4)

Could Haves

Dragoons (2 units at 4 each)
Commanded Shot (2)

I have 2 points to spend on either another Commanded Shot unit or upgrade a unit to Elite or Veteran status.

Does all this seem reasonable so far?

Also a question about reserves. I have enough infantry figures left to make two more Commanded Shot units or perhaps a Forlorn Hope unit. Am I aiming for 24 points in the field and up to 6 in reserve?

I won't be at the club on the 7th but will be there for the 14th and 21st. Any hints and tips to a new player would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Colin

Grahame

The reserve is a single 4 point unit of must haves eg one unit of  shot. Remember that the reserve is free and doesn't come out of your 36 points. Once you have chosen the reserve it is the same for every game. For two spare points you could give two units a hero each but having a veteran/elite unit may be a better bet and a good choice of unit to put your officer in. What you have picked so far seems balanced and should be able to cope with whatever mission you are doing.
Don't worry about not being there next week - just send me a list. If you need to borrow anything let me know.
Grahame

Grahame

As I will be seeing all your lists then here is mine - Scots Field Army
Must Have  : Elite trotters [6] Vet Shot [6] Vet Shot [6] Pike[4]
Could Have : Commanded shot [2]  Commanded shot [2]  Vet Dragoons [6] Clansmen + Hero [4]
Total 36
Reserve: Scots Lancers[4]
Grahame

Carl Fisher

Two questions as I prepare my list.

1) In the worst case situation - what happens if from my initial list I do not have enough remaining units to make 24 points?

2) Are heroes assigned to units at start - or form part of the pool of "units" available in the 36 points so can be assigned to any unit? Or do Heroes count as a unit upgrade? 
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Grahame on May 08, 2018, 01:24:23 pm
As I will be seeing all your lists then here is mine - Scots Field Army
Must Have  : Elite trotters [6] Vet Shot [6] Vet Shot [6] Pike[4]
Could Have : Commanded shot [2]  Commanded shot [2]  Vet Dragoons [6] Clansmen + Hero [4]
Total 36
Reserve: Scots Lancers[4]
Grahame

Is the above enough information for the list submission, or do you need more details, when we supply our 36 point lists?

Grahame

All I need to know can indeed be written in two lines - I need to be able to track what has happened to units either destroyed or downgraded - there will be a results slip to be filled in after each game which will provide me with what I need.
Heroes will be able to be added to your army either at the start or later on - it is one of the ways to make sure that you will have 24 pts on the table but remember they can be killed. Heroes & officers can always be replaced.
There is a mathematical possibility that you could end up fielding less than 24 points by the end of the campaign so be careful about the balance between must haves which can be replaced and could haves that cannot eg your must haves are worth 24 pts at the start of the campaign - you then get all your could haves killed. In the next battle one of your elite[6pt] must haves runs off table and comes back as a [4] pt unit for the game after - you will then only have 22 pts left but you could then use heroes to bring it back to 24 pts BUT if your must haves were only 16 points at the start because you have maxed out on could haves then you could end up in big trouble by the end!
As I have stated previously - officers need to look after their troops. Be prepared to withdraw units from the field.
I will review the rates of attrition across the campaign as a whole and may send reinforcements to the front - but don't count on it!
Grahame

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Grahame on May 08, 2018, 03:29:54 pm
All I need to know can indeed be written in two lines - I need to be able to track what has happened to units either destroyed or downgraded - there will be a results slip to be filled in after each game which will provide me with what I need.
Heroes will be able to be added to your army either at the start or later on - it is one of the ways to make sure that you will have 24 pts on the table but remember they can be killed. Heroes & officers can always be replaced.
There is a mathematical possibility that you could end up fielding less than 24 points by the end of the campaign so be careful about the balance between must haves which can be replaced and could haves that cannot eg your must haves are worth 24 pts at the start of the campaign - you then get all your could haves killed. In the next battle one of your elite[6pt] must haves runs off table and comes back as a [4] pt unit for the game after - you will then only have 22 pts left but you could then use heroes to bring it back to 24 pts BUT if your must haves were only 16 points at the start because you have maxed out on could haves then you could end up in big trouble by the end!
As I have stated previously - officers need to look after their troops. Be prepared to withdraw units from the field.
I will review the rates of attrition across the campaign as a whole and may send reinforcements to the front - but don't count on it!
Grahame

So Heroes can be added as required - spending those extra few points - without being included in your 36 points?

Carl Fisher

One final question for today!

What are you defining as Routing from the field?

Does this include a unit that has been reduced to zero or left the table, by continuous retreats due to Wavering? Seems to happen quite a lot to commanded shot for example, or just units that scored 0 or less in a Morale test (this is technically a rout).

Grahame

One thing I didn't make clear is that all upgrades must be declared on the army list including aggressive.
A unit that gradually evaporates due to failing to rally and  retreats wavering until non are left or off the board and a unit that gets 0 or less on morale  and vanishes are both treated the same and considered to have routed from the field for campaign purposes and so can come back. It is only units destroyed from shooting or combat and are "could haves" that are struck off your army list.
I don't want to get too hung up on heroes but they should be stated in your original 36 point [as I have done] list. However - once all  your  "could haves" are gone and should you end up not being able to field 24 points because you can't get your units to add up to 24 eg veteran pike [6] veteran shot[6]  veteran shot[6] trotters [4] and you have nothing worth two points left so you can only field 22 points then a couple of heroes added to two of these units would be ok but I'm going to impose a limit of no more than two. If after doing this and adding a couple of heroes you still can't raise a full 24 points of troops then you will just have to field what you have. Heroes should not be seen as a way of getting more than 36 points so..... to be clear..... heroes can only be used to begin with if they are in your list. After all your "could haves" are gone then you may field up to two heroes at a point each but once attached to a unit it is that unit they stay with for the rest of the campaign.

Carl Fisher

Great. That all makes sense. Thanks.

Andy Mellor

Due to some devious players with very little honour, who's plans would be to pursue "could have " units until they are wiped out to gain a campaign advantage!!! ????
Would it make sense to allow units that fail to rally to retreat at least half a move instead of only half a move?