• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

July 19, 2019, 03:53:43 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Pikeman's Lament ECW campaign

Started by Grahame, January 16, 2018, 09:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fisher

I count that I have 10 units in my command!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Grahame

Carl - You had ten to start but you have lost a commanded shot at some point so that makes you 9 now.
Grahame

Carl Fisher

I did not lose a commanded Shot that I have a record of.

However I do remember my original list was one short(later revised).

Hence my questions about what to do with odd commanded shots.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Grahame

Carl - I have the results sheet in front of me from the game in June when you played Gary - I can bring it down tonight if you wish - which clearly records that you had a unit of commanded shot destroyed. Commanded shot can stay as commanded shot and be used as they were in the civil war to support units of horse.
Grahame

Carl Fisher

October 15, 2018, 12:42:43 pm #199 Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:54:19 pm by Carl Fisher
We had a discussion on the night. They evaporated (reduced to zero when wavering, which was agreed was the equivalent of routing), which for a may have unit means they come back, as I understood the discussion. As opposed to being reduced to zero by shooting or melee kills.

So the sheet should have been revised!

But it is such a long time ago, I am happy for it to stand.

I do not think a unit of commanded shot will make much difference!

Looking forward to tonight's game!

Thanks for all your organisation.

Andy Mellor

Apologies for the late questions on General but,

1)Can Generals free roam around the table or do they have move from unit to unit.
2) what speed can they move? 12"?
3) Does the loss of a General cause moral checks for all units under his command?
4)Is the General subject to morale checks for lost units/army at 50%, under his command? They could be moral 2+ with -1 per "must have" unit lost?

Grahame

Hi Andy - Generals do not have to be attached to a unit and are free to roam within their sector. A unit cannot count more than 1 general for morale etc.
They move at the speed of a galloper. Loss of a general does not cause morale effects - you just lose the advantages they bring- remember they cannot be targets unless have joined a unit so taking pot shots at a general moving around is not allowed or being run down by enemy horse etc.
They are only subject to morale effects if they are in a unit and will suffer the same fate as the unit they are in. Morale checks only apply to individual companies - I decided that trying to track whole commands of multiple companies, eg on a flank, would be too cumbersome.
Grahame

Andy Mellor

Thanks Grahame
so basically don't put them in a unit as that's the only way they can be lost?
Or is there a bonus for doing so? (Automatic pass to move or attack, or a re-roll?)

Grahame

Don't put them in a unit - the unit gets no benefit from them being in there.
Grahame

Carl Fisher

A big thank you to Grahame for organising a really enjoyable campaign.

Also a thank you to all my opponents for some really fun games.

Grahame

Thanks to everyone for last night - it was a truly grand spectacle to see!
October 1643 - The King's Army had finally brought the Army of Parliament to battle - expecting to easily brush them aside and then strike at the heart of the Eastern Association. Things did not go to plan.....the Royalist horse on the right flank did what Royalist horse do - charge! They were in for a shock as the skirmishes and encounters over the previous six months had shown that they were not unbeatable and Parliament held its nerve. Repeated charges were held off by resolute pike and many a cavalier was shot out of the saddle by well aimed musket fire. Things went better in the centre with a determined attack coming close to success. Parliament's baggage trayne was at real risk - both sides lost an officer in this fighting and the Royalists looked as if they would break through in the centre. However, news  came that the Scots had turned the Royalists left flank and were starting to roll up the line..... As night fell the Royalists marched off in good order with an army that was still fit to fight. Parliament was too battered to follow but could claim the victory as they still held the field. Both armies would  go into winter quarters. The Royalist garrisons of Crowland and King's Lynn now knew that they would not be relieved and so agreed to surrender under good terms - marching out with colours flying and given safe passage to Royalist areas. The threat to the Eastern Association was  over but Lincolnshire was still disputed and troops from Newark and Oxford were still a threat...the war goes on.

Grahame

October 16, 2018, 11:55:21 am #206 Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:54:57 pm by Grahame
Now for the numbers....
October 1643  King - gained 44 honour in total from the game      Parliament gained 74
The honour was divided between the players on each side so each Royalist gains 6 and each Parliamentarian gains 10 plus whatever you earned through promotion etc

The final total for each army : King  516    Parliament 544 - it all came down to the final game.

Individual totals at the end of the campaign and the highest rank attained:
King -          Tom[Col]  68   Andrew[Col] 78   Mike [Maj] 47   Shawn  54 [Maj]   Carl [Col] 87   Ash [Maj]  51   Pippa[Col]  77
Parliament -  Grahame[Col]  80   Gary[Col]  83   Kevin[Col]  91   Andy Mellor[Col]  84   Andy Miller[Col]  82   Colin[Maj]  50   Tony[Col]  80
If you got as far as Major and then got recycled back to Ensign etc I have assumed your highest rank attained was as a full colonel.[Col]
Grahame

Andy Miller

Big thanks to Grahame for organising and to all for such an enjoyable campaign.
The table looked spectacular, well at the beginning anyway! I do like the dynamic of this rule set as in the game it was really "bloody", but I only actually "killed" two units and lost one. There were however several units on both sides of the table that were blown/ spent and were, for want of a better phrase, "licking their wounds", much more like the history books tell it.
Loved it!
If only we could settle things after coming out of winter camp !!!
Anyone up for and all day game in the new year?
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Grahame

Happy to run a 1644 campaign starting next May but a stand alone big game would be good too. We could then organise things so that we really did have cavalry on the flanks and infantry& guns in the centre - maybe get ambitious and do an approximation of Marston Moor. I think between us we have enough toys to represent all the armies involved - Newcastle's, Prince Rupert's, Northern Parliament, Eastern Assoc. & Scots. There are detailed orders of battle for both sides so relatively easy to translate into PL units. The other option would be to do some skirmish missions in the morning and the results of these influence a 'big' battle in the afternoon.
Grahame.

Andy Miller

October 16, 2018, 03:23:23 pm #209 Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:45:01 pm by Andy Miller
I didn't want to make it seem like you would be "persuaded" to run this, apologies. I'd be happy with any of the options or even to help out organising :)
I would like to see a large game played to a conclusion. It would be interesting to see how it panned out as your summary and projection had the Royalists leaving in good order. This fits, makes sense and is historically more accurate than fighting to the last unit. It would be interesting to talk to the central Royalists about their views on this. While having success with there push forward, were they aware of what was happening to their flanks? Would they have pulled back or risk being "rolled up"? Our focus on the battle in front of us did mimic the fog of war and lack of comms on an ECW battlefield. It was interesting to have a look around and more telling, at one point, there was a loud cheer from the central Kings men. I wonder if that happened and the effect it may have had on neighbouring units?
As I said, loved it and would always be happy to give the toys another "day out".
On a side note, with no leaking of this to any other halves (Pippa and Ash excepted) it did cross my mind the cost of the spectacle last night. It's not something that I often think about or put a price to, as I do this for the enjoyment. In terms of time spent painting or even just cold hard cash that was one hell of a turn out.
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.