May 21, 2019, 09:57:43 pm

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Pikeman's Lament ECW campaign

Started by Grahame, January 16, 2018, 09:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Grahame on January 18, 2018, 11:16:59 pm
My thinking is that you will have a 30 pt muster list for the campaign [I'm open to discussion - could be 36] from which you will pick 24 pts depending on the scenario. The 4 pts reserve is on top of this but it is one unit and is the same for every battle - just in case you throw a double six followed by a six for activation. I did play a game recently where this happened once to me and twice to my opponent so  it will be a once a game event for each side - the next time it happens reroll.
If possible I would like to get those interested in the campaign together this coming monday to give out information related to army types and to discuss the 30/36 pts issue.
Grahame

Sadly I am not around on Monday - but if you publish or email the information I can comment in a PM. AS far as the 30/36, I think it depends. Can I suggest 30 points, but not include Heroes (how to spend the last few points) and these can be recruited on the day.

So once the scenario is declared, choose your 24pts from the 30, add Heroes as required, to use up any spare points.  Fight.

This does mean that forces will not have much flex so there may be problems for Cavalry heavy force in some scenarios, so if possible can the scenarios listed before the 30pts are declared.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andy Mellor

Quite a lot of ECW combats involve attacking this Manor  or besieging towns. I fancy trying to field a storming party/company.
Would this fit into a field force or foot raiding party? Someone has to attack the garrisons!

Grahame

You will know the scenarios in advance [but will not know if attacking or defending].  A storming party will be able to be made from a field army. Dismounted cavalry were often used in storming parties [all that armour & bristling with pistols] but not a troop type in the rules so forlorn hope is the nearest.
Grahame

Andy Miller

I'd like to be involved, but shift work could be an issue. If there is some flexibility, I'm in. I'm a Cromwellian, through and through.
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

Shawn Comer

I'd like to take part and given that I currently no have no army, I am willing to play whichever side and type of army is needed. Please let me know what you think is needed and I'll start to assemble some troops.

Grahame

Shawn - it would be great if you would declare for the King. Which type of army is  up to you - a raiding party probably needs less figures painting up but a field army will give you most options.
Grahame

Grahame

Just watched a programme on BBC4 about the civil war - part 2 of a series about the Stuarts. Worth watching if you'd like to know more about the background to the campaign. There is footage of an ECWS reenactment which I was at - a special prize if you can spot me..... If you want a more dramatic view of the Civil War then I can recommend the 80s BBC drama - 'By The Sword Divided' which was filmed at Rockingham castle [ if you can get hold of the DVD].
Grahame

Andrew Beer

January 26, 2018, 08:00:08 am #22 Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:04:23 am by Andrew Beer
Hi Grahame,

Would my GW Empire figures work or medieval WAB  ?
Found rule book, does it include army lists?

Grahame

Sorry Andrew but you'll need actual ECW figures - the Empire stuff is too early. I can lend you troops if you want to take part. Also Warlord have a sprue sale on at the moment that includes Pike&Shotte figures that seems a good bargain. The troops are listed in the book and I can let you have the campaign briefing that gives the various army types you can use.
Grahame

Andrew Beer

Happy to play Royalist and buy some sprues , what shld I buy?

Grahame

Depends on what type of army you'll be doing but you'll certainly want some horse [gallopers] and shot so an infantry command sprue and two infantry sprues should get you going.
Grahame

Andy Mellor

Hi Grahame

Working out a field army, the must haves are horse, pike, shot. Do you have to field them all in your 24 points? Or if I only have 1 unit of horse (in the 36 pts) could it always be my reserve?

Grahame

yes - you do have to field one of each of your must haves.
Grahame

Grahame

Reserves - having had a think about this I've decided that the 4pt reserve will be free and not part of your 36 pt army. It will still have to be a 'must have' choice. This is how it will work:
activation roll 6&6 followed by 6 - the reserve comes on. Only happens once.
activation roll 1&1 followed by 1 - the reserve becomes the unit removed from play - if not on table yet then they are no longer available. If on table then they are the unit removed. Only happens once.

Losses in the campaign - I want to keep the system easy to track so this is what I'm thinking :
Units that are destroyed on table by shooting or combat [ie every figure is killed] will be struck off your army list.
Units that forced to retire or flee from table are still in your list and recruit back to full strength but will no longer be able to be veteran or elite.
Units still on table at end of game will recruit back to full strength.

Andy Miller

Grahame,
I've had a think, dangerous I know, even before I've played the game. Regarding the points in reserve - 32 points total. I get the 24 points for your core, makes perfect sense and the holding these to "musts" and "coulds" to shape the type of force you field. The extra in reserve makes sense too. Why 32 points? Everything in the system works on multiples of 4. The main units, the bonus unit for a double 6 etc. I was trying to finalise my field army and with 30 points that leaves 6 to spend. This channels you into some obvious possibilities of 2 point units and/or 2x3 points if you have access to these. I've no real problem with that, however with this system of points, an 8 point reserve can be "sliced" lots more different ways. Two full units etc. etc.
So the suggestion is part way between the two earlier ones:
Core 24 pts + Reserve 8 pts = 32 pts (with 4 pt bonus unit on 6's)
I've not played this yet and may be off the mark, it's just a thought!
Andy
Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.