Peterborough Wargames Club
May 27, 2017, 08:03:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Home   FORUM MAIN   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenario 1 - March 6 2017 [Aug 26, 1944]  (Read 200 times)
Mike Whitaker
Chairman and Chief Schmoozer
Administrator
Forum Deity

« on: March 05, 2017, 09:43:54 pm »

Initial briefs are up in the faction forums (committee are reminded that they have moderator privs so can read things they shouldn't Cheesy - be good!)

I'm aiming to arrive and unlock between 6.30 and 6.45, if anyone wants to give me a hand to set up - shouldn't be too painful as I think I only need three boards and the flexible Flames of War roads from club stock, whichever box they're in Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:49:04 am by Mike Whitaker » Logged

Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Podcast: http://meeples.wordpress.com/
Games Played: WAC, Hail Caesar, Black Powder, IABSM, Chain of Command, Dux Britanniarum, Judge Dredd, Dreadball, Sails of Glory
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 18mm French & British Napoleonics; 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.
Mike Whitaker
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:57:35 pm »

Orbats added to faction forum posts.

Games Played: WAC, Hail Caesar, Black Powder, IABSM, Chain of Command, Dux Britanniarum, Judge Dredd, Dreadball, Sails of Glory
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens
WIP: 18mm French & British Napoleonics; 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Mike Whitaker
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:20:35 pm »

Heads up - I've been tweaking supports a little (having done a bit of lunchtime reading of various IABSM and CoC books and scenarios) for what I hope is better balance: make sure you've checked against the latest posit Cheesy

Mike Whitaker
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:51:19 am »

Thanks to everyone for coming: I'll do the post-game phase tonight and update the factions with status.

As per immediate post-game conversation:

- it's a 'winning draw' for the Germans, in campaign terms. The British have a *reasonable* hold on Santa Maria, though a strong German counter-attack could dislodge them, but they made no appreciable dent (other than a couple of architectural ones) in Santa Magdalena. The German battalion 80mm mortars will be called onto another target, as will the British 25pdr battery, allowing both sides to consolidate as dusk falls where they are, with the British A Company holding Santa Maria and  the southern woods, and the Germans Santa Magdalena and the heights above it. The olive grove, the vineyard and the wheat field on the east of the road are contested no-mans land, as I don't think either side has done enough to claim to actually hold them yet (yes, the British had men in both, but hadn't demonstrated that they could stay there). The Firefly made it off table, and the knocked out Sherman III may be towed away (I'll roll for it later).

- From my point of view, the real issue was getting started quicker - I'm conscious that pretty much most of the dice rolling of any significance was done by the two Andy's and Ash, and if we'd had another 30-45 mins everyone else would actually have got some proper action. To this end:

- I undertake to get the mission briefing for the next session (3rd April) up by the 25/26th March so both sides have a week to plan and the previous Monday to ask me questions.
    - I will try and ensure that includes a photo of the table setup (since almost all the scenery is mine)
    - I'll also tweak the initial set up a bit so anyone on blinds arrives a bit faster, so the whole scenario should get moving faster.
    - In return, if folks can ready to make the first card draw by 7.30 (the table was I think set up by then), we can get quite a bit more action in - I'm sure as things get more familiar we'll get faster, too.
    - There's a better QRS than the one I use - I'll make sure there are copies available next time, as well as a brief one pager with the core rule mechanics (basically, "if I turn up THIS card, what are my options?")
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:15:35 am by Mike Whitaker » Logged

Carl Fisher
Ex Club Treasurer
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 04:01:05 pm »

My views are:

Good game.

I don't think the Brits have the level of knowledge and understanding of the Rules that the Han have.

Some support options were still being clarified on the night and in some cases chosen on a lets see what this does - given that they had never been seen in action.

Agree needs more time to plan - I really only looked at the posts at lunchtime on Monday, missed them on Sunday - I tend to rely on email notifications of updates - but they only work when a thread already exists.

So updates outside my normal cycle of forum checking get missed.

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!
Mike Whitaker
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:11:07 pm »

Agree needs more time to plan - I really only looked at the posts at lunchtime on Monday, missed them on Sunday - I tend to rely on email notifications of updates - but they only work when a thread already exists.

So updates outside my normal cycle of forum checking get missed.

Have added placeholder threads for scenario 2 already Cheesy

Andy Miller

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:09:22 pm »

Yes, a good game and fair result. Perfect demo of supported attack with 3 platoons by AndyB on the house in the centre of Santa Maria. Yes we did misinterpret the cover in the vineyard, so sorry about the Stug. However that style of ambush attack with a deeply hidden Stug or Hetzer was a classic german tactic, with it backing off out before any counter attack. Another 1 to 2 turns and all hell would have broken loose on our right (your left), give a more defined result. I'll endevour to get planning sorted early as it does speed things up, i think this will improve with time and practise.
Thanks to Mike.
Andy

Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six.
Andrew Beer

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:44:17 am »

Hi,

Thank you Mike for another excellent game :-)
Can someone explain how I see the British link mentioned on the night?

Andrew
Mike Whitaker
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:49:55 am »

Click on IABSM Campaign 2017 in the long text across the top of this post and you should see it.

Mike Whitaker
Administrator
Forum Deity

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:38:37 am »

Faction sitreps as of dusk, Aug 26 1944 are a new topic on both faction boards now.

And Carl's already written his war diary entry Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:29:15 pm by Mike Whitaker » Logged

Gary Martin

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 05:57:22 pm »

Faction sitreps as of dusk, Aug 26 1944 are a new topic on both faction boards now.

And Carl's already written his war diary entry Cheesy
I am scribing ours as we speak. Do we get to see the other sides?

Gary Martin
'I do not fear an army of lions led by sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion'. Alexander the Great

Figures: 28mm Imperial Roman and Ancient Britons 700 figures ish, 28mm Napoleonic French, Brits, Portugese and Dutch-Belgian, several thousand based for General de Brigade but work for most rules, 28mm WW2 German, Russian, British and US about company of each with vehicles 1 to 1. Large army's of 15mm Napoleonic most nations based to Napoleons Battles but fairly flexible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: