• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 22, 2019, 10:29:26 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

A Clash of Kings

Started by Rob Farley, December 15, 2016, 11:54:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyHawes

Quote from: Pippa Peile on March 17, 2017, 04:13:36 pm
Quote from: Andy Mellor on March 17, 2017, 04:00:39 pm
Found out I can't paint flayed men on shields. House Boltons insignia now a flayed Mr blobby or spider!!

I had to paint a simple tree on some of my shields, after three attempts it still looks like something a five year old did in finger painting

Another reason for me switching allegiance to House Arryn - Veni Vedi Vici do waterslide transfers of a swooping eagle and of a variety of crescent moons... Blue shield, white transfers - Bob's your uncle!!!  ;D
WAB, Dux Brit, Dux Bell, Hail Caesar: (Caesarian Romans; Late Roman/Byzantine Arthurian Romano-British/Welsh; El Cid Christian Spanish.) 28mm Wild West (lawmen, Texas Rangers); Saga Dark Age Skirmish(Welsh and Normans); Triumph & Tragedy (WW1 Palestine & Colonial NW Frontier WIP); Tolkien-esque Elves and Orcs WIP; WFB (3rd/4th edition) High Elves WIP

Rob Farley

Updated campaign rules and army lists attached. I've tweaked the recovery and recruitment rules, plus I've added a new special rule for Dornish and Dothraki horses. Take a look and let me know what you think.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Tom G

The rule for thoroughbreds is at bottom of page 2 on the army list if anyone like me can't find it. Looks fine to me and takes my list up to a nice round 30 points.

Andrew Beer

Hi,

I'd like to join the campaign? Dorne list.
Will the max / min number of  units be applied?

Mike Whitaker

Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Rob Farley

Quote from: Andrew Beer on March 27, 2017, 05:49:02 pm

You're on the list.

I hadn't really thought about the number of units. Dragon Rampant and Lion Rampant have different limits, DR's are simpler and more flexible so I think we'll run with those. A minimum of 4 units, maximum of 12 (though we can increase that to 15 since we're using 30 point forces).

Fewer than 4 really isn't viable, you'll just get outmaneuvered (as Tom found out tonight). More than 15 (which would have to be some kind of peasant swarm) doesn't sound particularly fun for either player.

If anyone has other opinions, please say so.

On a related note, the campaign rules still need some tweaks. They work OK for the winners but I need some way to cope with the situation when a losing player takes big casualties and earns zero glory, as this has happened in the last 4 test games. In 3 of those games the player was left with no viable army afterwards. It's realistic, but not much fun for the player. Suggestions?
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Mike Whitaker

Hrm.

Anyone any suggestions for cavalry to match the Frostgrave soldiers or barbarians?
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Carl Fisher

March 28, 2017, 12:39:12 pm #67 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:43:04 pm by Carl Fisher
Fireforge - with Head and Equipment Swaps from Frostgrave?

Or possibly GB Arab Horse again Head and Equipment Swaps?
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andy Mellor

Quote from: Rob Farley on March 28, 2017, 12:15:26 am
Quote from: Andrew Beer on March 27, 2017, 05:49:02 pm

You're on the list.

I hadn't really thought about the number of units. Dragon Rampant and Lion Rampant have different limits, DR's are simpler and more flexible so I think we'll run with those. A minimum of 4 units, maximum of 12 (though we can increase that to 15 since we're using 30 point forces).

Fewer than 4 really isn't viable, you'll just get outmaneuvered (as Tom found out tonight). More than 15 (which would have to be some kind of peasant swarm) doesn't sound particularly fun for either player.

If anyone has other opinions, please say so.

On a related note, the campaign rules still need some tweaks. They work OK for the winners but I need some way to cope with the situation when a losing player takes big casualties and earns zero glory, as this has happened in the last 4 test games. In 3 of those games the player was left with no viable army afterwards. It's realistic, but not much fun for the player. Suggestions?

Some possibilities :-
Everyone has a 12 point reserve force which may be called upon to make up some losses. If you are wiped out then "send a raven" to receive 30 points of troops, this puts you in the bad books with your benefactor and needs to have some negative effect for winning the campaign but could be nullified by spending glory?
The problem with a limited number of dragons could be resolved if they are only every wounded (hence 12 pts reserve) maybe missing the next battle, and only killed by a character with valyrian steel/Wight blade?

Carl Fisher

Regarding Dragons - it would be very difficult to totally Kill a 12pt Dragon - but for all Multi-wound creatures I suggest the following -

1 dice per point, as normal, but 2 or less - permanent wound - reduce the points by 1. 3 or 4 wounded - this wound can be healed (same cost as replacement in a unit), 5 or 6 Recovered.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Andrew Beer

As this is Game of Thrones then winning the Iron Thrones I believe is the goal.
Maybe glory could be me about a choice been extra units or Iron Thrones points , winning of the campaign is player with highest Iron Thrones points, this makes it a choice between extra troops ( poss next game only?) and winning the campaign. Both players list would be reset to 30 points for next game plus glory spend. Extra troops for one game only would limit run away armies.
What do you think?

Tom G

Quote from: Andrew Beer on March 29, 2017, 11:52:40 am
Maybe glory could be me about a choice been extra units or Iron Thrones points , winning of the campaign is player with highest Iron Thrones points, this makes it a choice between extra troops ( poss next game only?) and winning the campaign. Both players list would be reset to 30 points for next game plus glory spend. Extra troops for one game only would limit run away armies.
What do you think?

I second this idea.

AndyHawes

Some good suggestions. I was worried about the original post-game sequence from my many games of DR - the loser rarely scores much glory and often loses a lot of models which, in campaign terms is no fun as a player.

In fact, any system that relies on using Glory points to top up an army or to trade for Iron Throne points or whatever, is difficult for a player who loses a game simply because he or she may not have much (any) Glory to barter with.

Maybe one option is to allow each player a starting value of Iron Throne Points (say 100...) and they can then use those to help replace casualties. Obviously, as players win games, they will gain Iron Throne points (e.g. 10pts for a win). Players don't have to lose any points for losing a battle, but they obviously don't gain any either, although you could allocate an addition 1 IT point for each unit over half strength left on the table to each army, so even a losing army could gain IT points for turning up and fighting hard. The overall campaign winner would be the one with most IT points at the end. Glory then simply becomes a way of measuring the victory in each game.

Obviously, a system like that would need MUCH more careful thought than I have been able to put into this while writing it over a sandwich break...  ;D We used to use a similar system with 7 a side kiddie cricket when I was teaching - each team started with 100 runs and each player who was 'out' lost the team 10 runs, with each pair of batsmen facing 2 overs (so each one could be 'out' more than once but equally had lots of chances to score runs). Used to work well...
WAB, Dux Brit, Dux Bell, Hail Caesar: (Caesarian Romans; Late Roman/Byzantine Arthurian Romano-British/Welsh; El Cid Christian Spanish.) 28mm Wild West (lawmen, Texas Rangers); Saga Dark Age Skirmish(Welsh and Normans); Triumph & Tragedy (WW1 Palestine & Colonial NW Frontier WIP); Tolkien-esque Elves and Orcs WIP; WFB (3rd/4th edition) High Elves WIP

Pippa Peile

Quote from: Tom G on March 29, 2017, 07:16:03 pm
Quote from: Andrew Beer on March 29, 2017, 11:52:40 am
What do you think?

I second this idea.

Agree with this.  Make the point of winning glory points about your overall score and maybe a tiny benefit going into next game but campaigns where there is a massive advantage / disadvantage to winning or losing are just no fun in long run. Then people who care about such things have something to get their teeth into and people who just want an excuse for a fun game and don't care who wins overall are not going to be pushed out.

Mike Whitaker