• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

October 20, 2019, 02:10:15 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

A Clash of Kings

Started by Rob Farley, December 15, 2016, 11:54:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G

Ok so decided on House Bulwer under house Tyrell in the reach.

Rob Farley

Interesting choice, the head of House Bulwer is a 7 year old girl so I think it's safe to say she wouldn't be commanding the army personally. ;D
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Daniel Phillips

Quote from: Tom G on March 14, 2017, 08:04:44 pm
Secondly in terms of  novels I need to read to get the back ground should I start with the first novel or can I just read clash of kings?

Definitely read them in order from the start.
Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

Tom G

Quote from: Rob Farley on March 15, 2017, 01:31:51 pm
Interesting choice, the head of House Bulwer is a 7 year old girl so I think it's safe to say she wouldn't be commanding the army personally. ;D

Lmao may have overlooked that point erm no unless anyone knows of any miniature of a 7 year old knight.

Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 15, 2017, 03:53:33 pm
Secondly in terms of  novels I need to read to get the back ground should I start with the first novel or can I just read clash of kings?

Thanks will do.

Tom G

Ok after the 7 year old girl revelation and to keep things interesting I will go with the armies of Daenerys Stormborn and play as The East. Final answer!

Rob Farley

Well, the 7 year old isn't a showstopper. I'm sure she has an uncle, or someone else to lead the army. Not every force has to be lead directly by the head of house.

Case in point, Andy's playing House Arryn and their lord is only 5 years old. But they have a lot of loyal knights and bannermen so there's no problem fielding them with someone else in command.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Pippa Peile

Quote from: Rob Farley on March 15, 2017, 09:53:00 pm
Well, the 7 year old isn't a showstopper. I'm sure she has an uncle, or someone else to lead the army. Not every force has to be lead directly by the head of house.

Case in point, Andy's playing House Arryn and their lord is only 5 years old. But they have a lot of loyal knights and bannermen so there's no problem fielding them with someone else in command.

And I'm playing a Lannister Army with neither Tywin or Jaime anywhere on the field  ;D

Pippa Peile

If you've not already purchased the books, I have a spare copy of first book free to a good home.

Pippa Peile

Daniel Phillips

Quote from: Tom G on March 15, 2017, 07:28:19 pm
Ok after the 7 year old girl revelation and to keep things interesting I will go with the armies of Daenerys Stormborn and play as The East. Final answer!

The head of the house does not need to lead the army in person. Also you said your models were mostly Brettonians? These would work much better for The Reach than The armies of Daenerys Stormborn as the Reach has armoured knights whereas Daenerys' mounted troops are Dothraki who fight with swords and bows and don't wear armour.
Current games & armies played- Gaslands: Idris. Full Thrust: NAC & NSL. Bolt Action: Late war German. Judge Dredd: Justice Dept & Renegade Robots. Kings of War: Dwarfs & Kingdoms of men. Mordheim: Skaven & Marianburg. Uncharted Seas: Iron Dwarfs. Necromunda: Orlock, Redemptionists & Van Saar. Direwolf Rampant : House Mallister.

Tom G

Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 16, 2017, 04:44:58 pm
Quote from: Tom G on March 15, 2017, 07:28:19 pm

The head of the house does not need to lead the army in person. Also you said your models were mostly Brettonians? These would work much better for The Reach than The armies of Daenerys Stormborn as the Reach has armoured knights whereas Daenerys' mounted troops are Dothraki who fight with swords and bows and don't wear armour.

Yes I didn't realise that there were nomad horsemen in game of thrones but I have loads of them that I am currently painting and should have the army done in 2 weeks! Its the main reason I am going for Drothraki and for other more scaly reasons.... A lot of other people are doing knight type Westeros lists so I thought I would do something a bit different.
Quote from: Pippa Peile on March 16, 2017, 12:23:44 pm

If you've not already purchased the books, I have a spare copy of first book free to a good home.

That would be great thanks Pippa.

Daniel Phillips

Sounds good. All we need now is some Nights Watch and Iron Born and I think we have ever major faction represented.

Rob - Think I'm going for House Mallister.

Pippa Peile

Tom, will bring book Monday

Andy Mellor

Found out I can't paint flayed men on shields. House Boltons insignia now a flayed Mr blobby or spider!!

Pippa Peile

Quote from: Andy Mellor on March 17, 2017, 04:00:39 pm
Found out I can't paint flayed men on shields. House Boltons insignia now a flayed Mr blobby or spider!!

I had to paint a simple tree on some of my shields, after three attempts it still looks like something a five year old did in finger painting