• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

November 18, 2019, 10:57:13 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

A Clash of Kings

Started by Rob Farley, December 15, 2016, 11:54:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyHawes

Standard unit sizes in Dragon Rampant are:

Formed/warband type infantry (incl missile troops such as xbows or longbows): 12
All Cavalry:6
Skirmishers/scouts: 6

Dragon rampant allows 'reduced model units' so you could field a unit of 3 knights and each has 2 wounds, or single model units representing a rock hard hero, so 1 knight with 6 wounds. Works well! Also allows monsters etc to be fielded...

House rule looks ok. Or you could do what The men Who Would be Kings does and a failed activation is simply that and you carry on til you've tried to activate everything!! That works too.

The other issue with 'Rampants' is an enforced 3" between units which can be a pain in bigger games with multi players. I did a 'Romans Rampant' game where we reduced that to 2" which looked better and although only an inch less, worked well...you could reduce it to an inch and that'd work too, I suspect...
WAB, Dux Brit, Dux Bell, Hail Caesar: (Caesarian Romans; Late Roman/Byzantine Arthurian Romano-British/Welsh; El Cid Christian Spanish.) 28mm Wild West (lawmen, Texas Rangers); Saga Dark Age Skirmish(Welsh and Normans); Triumph & Tragedy (WW1 Palestine & Colonial NW Frontier WIP); Tolkien-esque Elves and Orcs WIP; WFB (3rd/4th edition) High Elves WIP

Carl Fisher

OK so when I went to shelf a new copy of Dragon Rampant, guess what I found. You have a copy of DR already there.

So anyone want a copy going cheap? £7?

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Rob Farley

Osprey games are like that. I had two copies of In Her Majesty's Name for a while. ::)
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Grahame

Count me in - I think 28 mm and the Osprey route is the one to go in terms of access for club members who may not already be tooled up with barbarian/medieval/renaissance figures already. There are lots of cheap plastic figures out there now eg the new barbarian figures released for Frostgrave would make great wildlings and ebay is awash with old Brettonian/Empire/undead figures from GW. We could start with skirmishing and work towards mass battles as Andy M suggested.
Winter has arrived!
Grahame

Rob Farley

OK, so I've finally got my copy of Lion Rampant and after comparing the two rulesets I've been able to put together the rules for Direwolf Rampant. I've attached the rules, this covers both the game and campaign rules in a narrative campaign format with minimalist rules. I've also updated the army lists, also attached.

I have officially gone with the lazy option. I'm not giving up on the other options for bigger battles, but this is a good place to start.

I was thinking we could start this in April, to give people a chance to get their armies together. I also want to get a few games in in the meantime to field test the rules changes.

So now I just need to know who's definitely interested and which house you're going to represent.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Carl Fisher

OK So I have read the books - and forgotten most of the excessive detail, and not watched the TV.

So - Rob can you or someone provide suitable suggestions for the types of figure to represent each unit in the army list?

So for example are Knights best represented by Fireforge Teuntonics or Perry WoR?

Just a rough guide.
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Rob Farley

Well, Westeros is loosely based on medieval Europe and the styles vary between the different kingdoms. So either of those would be suitable, depending on which house you're looking to represent.

One possible guide:

So that would suggest Perry knights for the Westerlands or the Reach, Fireforge Teutonics for the Riverlands. But it's really all in the interpretation.

Pippa Peile

I'm officially in with Lannisters. Ash will be in but not sure on house, he was looking at Baratheon but I'll check!

Pippa Peile

So I guess that means I'll be supporting Joffrey's claim to the throne, Long Live the King! (Although I suspect not too long!)

AndyHawes

Well, I have not read the books, have only watched 3 episodes of season one of the 5 season boxed set and have no useful models, but I would like to play as I love the 'Rampant' systems...

I quite fancy the Stormlands, purely because of a kick-ass House Baratheon wallpaper I saw when Googling this yesterday...

Time to trawl EBAY for old GW Brettonian plastics!!!   ;D
WAB, Dux Brit, Dux Bell, Hail Caesar: (Caesarian Romans; Late Roman/Byzantine Arthurian Romano-British/Welsh; El Cid Christian Spanish.) 28mm Wild West (lawmen, Texas Rangers); Saga Dark Age Skirmish(Welsh and Normans); Triumph & Tragedy (WW1 Palestine & Colonial NW Frontier WIP); Tolkien-esque Elves and Orcs WIP; WFB (3rd/4th edition) High Elves WIP

Rob Farley

Quote from: AndyHawes on February 03, 2017, 01:05:41 pm
Well, I have not read the books, have only watched 3 episodes of season one of the 5 season boxed set and have no useful models, but I would like to play as I love the 'Rampant' systems...

I quite fancy the Stormlands, purely because of a kick-ass House Baratheon wallpaper I saw when Googling this yesterday...

Time to trawl EBAY for old GW Brettonian plastics!!!   ;D

Don't bother with Ebay, I have a LOT of old plastic Bretonnians I'm looking to get rid of. ;D

AndyHawes

Aha... This could be beneficial to us both then!

I'll put together a list of what  think I'd like and you can tell me what you've got and how much you want for 'em!  ;D

Mike Whitaker

Decisions, decisions:

I have shitloads of Parthians, or shedloads of Norman cavalry and a few foot, or loads of Saxons.

Thoughts?
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

Carl Fisher

Or add it to your list of GSD and start from scratch! I am sure you have a whole pile of suitable lead or plastic!

Carl Fisher

I think I am going to use it as a reason to get painting some Perry WotR, supplemented by GW.