• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2019, 04:38:00 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Border Reivers Campaign

Started by colinabrett, December 03, 2016, 11:20:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fisher

Quote from: colinabrett on June 14, 2017, 11:56:55 am
Quote from: Carl Fisher on May 30, 2017, 08:30:52 am
Hope you have a mechanism for missed months? I am on Holiday that Monday - but obviously in for the long haul!

Hello Carl,

I'm sorry for the late reply.

We can always squeeze in an ad-hoc game between the scheduled campaign sessions. The first scenario is a simple knock-down-drag-out fight, so, if played against the Collingwood family and a neutral opponent, your family can still gain Reputation in the campaign and the other player's family will not (for that one game).

Hope this idea is OK.

Colin

That is great - just don't want to fall behind!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Tom G

Right since we are kicking this off on Monday I have been busy painting and a couple of things have come up.

Firstly regarding WYSIWYG If I wanted to represent a buckler on my models but I don't want to have it in a hand (its carrying a torch or a head ect) how could I historically represent it? Did they carry bucklers around attached to their sword baldric or on a belt for example? Would it be acceptable to have the buckler cast on the floor whilst holding the severed head of his defeated adversary aloft?

Secondly when building the beginning stats for the models there is a maximum model defence of 6 (section 2 (b) ) does this include the additional +1 defence from wearing his armour or can he have a defence of 7?

Thirdly thanks for the effort that has gone in to creating the building sheet.

colinabrett

Quote from: Tom G on July 08, 2017, 09:43:21 pm
Right since we are kicking this off on Monday I have been busy painting and a couple of things have come up.

Firstly regarding WYSIWYG If I wanted to represent a buckler on my models but I don't want to have it in a hand (its carrying a torch or a head ect) how could I historically represent it? Did they carry bucklers around attached to their sword baldric or on a belt for example? Would it be acceptable to have the buckler cast on the floor whilst holding the severed head of his defeated adversary aloft?

You could easily have the shield slung on the model's back or laid on the ground. So long as it's listed on your roster, we can assume the model swaps between head and shield as needed.

Secondly when building the beginning stats for the models there is a maximum model defence of 6 (section 2 (b) ) does this include the additional +1 defence from wearing his armour or can he have a defence of 7?

On reflection, this was badly worded. You're the first to ask about it. The maximum DEF should be 6 and includes any armour. This way you don't pay the Renown cost twice (once for equipping the model and again for the +1 DEF). Your models don't have to be armoured. If they have a high DEF, we can assume they are experts at dodging or parrying or are just tough SOBs.  :D . Once the campaign is under way, Reputation points can be spent to increase characteristics, so a DEF of 7 becomes possible.

Thanks for asking, Tom, and for your interest in the campaign.

Colin

Chris Davies

I know it's rathetr late, but can I sign up for the campaign - and borrow a family?
The boy's toys: SAGA Anglo-Saxons;  Bolt Action Soviets 1,000 points;Mordheim Goblin/Vampire gangs; Necromunda Bax's Stabbers; Uncharted Seas Shroud Mages; Dystopian Wars Russian starter fleet; Wings of Wibble; assorted plastic spacemen, Mahdists,French Foreign Legion, Colonial Egyptians; AoM undead.

colinabrett

Quote from: Chris Davies on July 10, 2017, 09:13:47 am
I know it's rathetr late, but can I sign up for the campaign - and borrow a family?

Yes Chris. I have three families built and ready to go. I can talk you through the details this evening.

Thanks for your interest.

Colin

colinabrett

July 11, 2017, 12:14:38 pm #35 Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:18:47 pm by Carl Fisher
Here are the Reputation scores from last night's game:

Tom G, the Grahams, 49
Tom B, the Fenwicks, 45
Carl, Armstrongs of Kinmont 44
Pippa, the Grays, 42
Andy M, the Dodds, 38
Reuben, the Turners, 22
Grahame, the Law!, 19
Chris, the Broken Men, 17
Ash, the Burns, 11
Mike, 10

If you haven't decided on a family name, please work one out and let me know.

The Reputation points can be used to increase your family's characteristics and skills or recruit new members. They can also be saved towards the overall campaign goal: the first family to reach 300 Reputation wins the campaign. I have five more Reiver scenarios planned which should get us closer to the goal. Please contact me if you want some help spending or saving the points. I obviously can't say "you must increase your heidman's DEF" - it's your family after all - but I can advise how the points can be spent.

Still to play is Andy Mac. We will arrange some ad-hoc games before the next campaign night.

Thanks to all who played last night and to those who are still to play.

Regards,
Colin

Andy Miller

Judge Dredd (Judges/Cal 2k+pts, Ape gang), FoW (MidWar German armour 2k pts, MidWar Afrika Corps 2k pts, LateWar German 4k+pts), Bolt Action (German, US Infantry), OpSquad (Panzer Grenadiers, Falschirmjaeger, Brit Inf), Dux Brit (Saxons), WoW (a small airforce), Fantasy (High Elves, Brets), Dystopian (FSA), Uncharted seas (Iron Dwarves), Sails of glory, X-wing, Dreadball (Humans and Dwarves), Check your six. Star Wars Armada. ECW Parliamentarian army.

colinabrett

Quote from: Andy Miller on July 11, 2017, 03:33:16 pm
Colin,
I'm the Dodds  :D

Thanks, Andy. I've updated the leader board.
Colin

Pippa Peile

I am the Grays and Ash is the Burns

colinabrett

Quote from: Pippa Peile on July 14, 2017, 02:27:14 pm
I am the Grays and Ash is the Burns

Thanks, Pippa. I've updated the leader boards.
Colin

colinabrett

A couple of issues arose during the first campaign game. I posted to the Second Thunder forum and got some (non-official) responses.

1) If a model with Furious Assault attacks from behind, what multiplier applies to the model's ATK value?

Both Furious Assault and attack from behind allow a x2 modifier to the attacking model's ATK. Do we apply a x2 or x4 multiplier? Nothing in the rules-as-written ignores either modifier, so therefore, a Furious Assault from behind does grant a x4 multiplier to the attacking model's ATK value. In practice, this means a lot of these attacks will roll 3D6 on the attack roll.

2) If a model is Prone, does a Force Back cause loss of FORtitude?

In short, yes. In the chaos of a melee, if a model is forced back into a Prone model, the Forced-Back model loses a point of FOR, the same as being forced back into a standing model. We can assume there is a risk involved in tripping over a fallen model.

Unless I hear otherwise from the Second Thunder forums, we can assume these points are "house rules" for the rest of the campaign.

I hope this clarifies a couple of odd situations but please let me know if these house rules are "iffy" in any way.

Regards,
Colin

Carl Fisher

Collin

Preparing for Monday - collecting documents etc, I cannot find copies of the Firearms rules? Can you upload them to the Forum - or point me the way?

Thanks
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

colinabrett

Quote from: Carl Fisher on July 21, 2017, 12:53:53 pm
Collin

Preparing for Monday - collecting documents etc, I cannot find copies of the Firearms rules? Can you upload them to the Forum - or point me the way?

Thanks

Hi Carl,

Sorry for the late reply. The Firearms rules are on the back page of the quick reference sheet, though they have changed since the first draft (with suggestions from you and Andy). The revised rules are:

FIREARMS (Suggested by CF and AM)
Actions: Calivers 2 (as per Crossbow), Pistols 1 load, 1 fire; Arquebuses, 1 load, 2 fire)
So like crossbows Calivers effectively load and fire in one turn (always), pistols can be pre-loaded, to allow moving and firing, Arquebuses need to be pre-loaded but still take time to fire.

I'll be bringing copies of the QR Sheet down on Monday.

Colin

colinabrett

Given that Monday 7th August has been allocated to the campaign, I thought I'd add a couple of updated files.

Attached are the front and back of the QR sheet. These have been re-typed and are easier on the eyes than the scanned copies from the rule book. I'll be bringing copies along as usual but feel free to print your own.

Also attached is the draft of the second scenario, Truce Day Breakdown. I'm unsure as to the time limits I've set on the scenario. If wiser heads than mine have any suggestions, I'll happily amend the draft ready for Monday.

Remember: Shake Loose the Borders!

Colin

Reuben Turner

Colin

Sorry if I've missed this, but is there a system to decide who plays who in the 2nd and successive rounds or are we just choosing at random based on who turns up?