• Welcome to Peterborough Wargames Club. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2019, 04:37:27 am

News:

Note for prospective members:
* Please choose a screen name that reflects your real name
* Please drop an email note to the info@ address introducing yourself.

Border Reivers Campaign

Started by colinabrett, December 03, 2016, 11:20:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

colinabrett

December 03, 2016, 11:20:56 am Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:02:52 pm by colinabrett
Here are some ideas for the Open Combat Border Reivers campaign

Useful Border Reiver Links

Bloody Borders

Wargames Illustrated issues 211, 212, 213. No longer available on line (except with Wargames Illustrated Prime Membership) ... but I do have the PDFs which I downloaded years ago when they were legally available.

Hot Trod and Red Hand

Available via Freewargamesrules and directly from this link.

http://www.rebelpublishing.net/resources/Hot_Trod_Free_Rules.pdf

Shake Loose the Borders

Available through Freewargames rules and the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070820003524/http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/salmon/224/BRWP/ShakeLooseTheBorder.htm

Maws Black Panthers Border Reiver Rules

Linked from Freewargamesrules, available here (it's near the bottom of page 4 of the downloads list)

http://wwwmawsblackpanthers.spruz.com/downloads.htm

Or, more directly, this may work:

http://wwwmawsblackpanthers.spruz.com/downloads.htm?a=&act=view&id=1C4AFE3E-653A-4D19-9798-E810D963D421

As for miniatures, Reuben supplied the following companies who make suitable figures:

Time Line Miniatures! https://www.timelineminiatures.co.uk/store/index.php?page=border-reivers

The eBob minis are for William Wallace / Robert the Bruce era of things, but in case you fancy a look the website is http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/rebellion.htm

All you'd need to begin is (say) six figures to make a warband, plus a few extras to replace casualties, act as mercenaries or as disaffected members of other families.

The idea is to look into the background a bit, pick a family and fight a campaign based on grudges, family loyalty, cattle rustling and kidnapping. You don't have to choose a Scottish or English family as some families declared their nationality based on preference and circumstances. All good, clean fun, I assure you.

Colin

Carl Fisher

Tempted - have loads of unpainted from what was Collins Patton, ex GB I think.

If the campaign is small scale skirmish some may be painted by the end!

Also have at least one set of rules plus MacDonald Fraser's book - which is a really good read!
Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Tom G

Quote from: colinabrett on December 03, 2016, 11:20:56 am

All you'd need to begin is (say) six figures to make a warband, plus a few extras to replace casualties, act as mercenaries or as disaffected members of other families.

The idea is to look into the background a bit, pick a family and fight a campaign based on grudges, family loyalty, cattle rustling and kidnapping. You don't have to choose a Scottish or English family as some families declared their nationality based on preference and circumstances. All good, clean fun, I assure you.

I'm in sounds fun.

Pippa Peile

Would the "family" packs from Timeline minis be a good place to start with models?

Mike Whitaker

Quote from: Pippa Peile on December 06, 2016, 11:28:19 am

Would the "family" packs from Timeline minis be a good place to start with models?

Definitely.
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Games (currently) Played: IABSM, Dux Britanniarum, Sails of Glory, Gaslands, What A Tanker!, SW: Armada
28mm: Parthians, Early Imperial Roman, British Tribes, Saxons, Norman/Christian Spanish, English Civil War Royalists; WW2 Wehrmacht, Red Devils, Home Guard; Judge Dredd Judges, Dreadball Void Sirens. GoT Night's Watch
15mm: WW2 US, British/Canadian and Heer infantry companies + support
54mm: HYW French and British
1/1000: Sails of Glory (lots)
WIP: 28mm WW2 British Commandos; 28mm War of the Roses, KoW Elves, Peninsular British/French/Spanish; 28mm Coalition Wars SF; 15mm Fallschirmjaeger and US Paras, lots of 15mm WW2 vehicles. 1/2400 WW2 Naval

This sig is a GW- and Flames of War-free (except for the figures I own!) zone.

colinabrett

Quote from: Pippa Peile on December 06, 2016, 11:28:19 am

Not wishing to be "regionist" (is that even a word?) about this, I have found Reiver Castings (https://reivercasting.wordpress.com) who are actually based in the North East, so I'm going to give the company a try. I may as well be loyal  ;D

Colin

Rob Farley

Had a look at Reiver when I was putting my Chinese army together. Their casting quality isn't the best, some of their sculpts are a bit ropy as well.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Tom G

Just found these for border reiver in 25mm.
http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/

They seem to have a large variety although not sure how they would stack up against 28mm.

tony

Ive got some timeline minis ,really nice sculpts if a little large .

Pippa Peile

Just found this nice little website with lots of info on the families and clans involved if anyone is interested

http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/BORDER%20SURNAMES%20%202.htm

Carl Fisher

I have found my figures. Probably. 100 assorted foot and horse.

Undercoated  dozen of them.

Happy to lend some of the rest. You would need to paint them, and I would want them back, but...

If you want to see them let me know

They were by Vendal miniatures.

Now only available from the US from Sgt Major Miniatures

http://www.sgmm.biz/Bloody-Day-28mm-Elizabethans_c_17.html

Games Played (Armies): WAB + WaC (IER Roman, Early Saxons and variants, Normans), WFB (Empire), 40K (Spacemarines), Uncharted Seas (Empire, Shroud Mages), WAB English Civil War (English!), Operation Squad (British) SAGA (Normans, Jomsvikings), Mordheim, Wings of War/Glory WWI, Dreadball, Chain of Command (British), Frostgrave, Sails of Glory and many others!!

Rob Farley

Well, as I said yesterday I'm going to pass on this. I really like the idea of the campaign, but I just don't like the ruleset. £30 is a lot for a fairly bland, overly simplistic set of rules, especially when there are other generic/open rules out there with a lot more character and a much cheaper price tag.
Current games (and armies) played: Gaslands, Direwolf Rampant, Frostgrave, Bolt Action & Operation Squad (Desert Rats, Communist Chinese, Russians, partisans, Americans, Finns, Italian Paras), In Her Majesty's Name, Judge Dredd Miniatures, Dreadball, Deadzone, Mobile Frame Zero, Uncharted Seas (Orcs), Necromunda (Pit Slaves, Escher), Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mordheim, Alien vs Predator, Warpath

Current Projects: Brotherhood Without Banners, Jomsvikings, the Blaine Legion, Gaslands vehicles, WWII Danish

Carl Fisher

Quote from: Rob Farley on December 13, 2016, 09:19:13 pm
Well, as I said yesterday I'm going to pass on this. I really like the idea of the campaign, but I just don't like the ruleset. £30 is a lot for a fairly bland, overly simplistic set of rules, especially when there are other generic/open rules out there with a lot more character and a much cheaper price tag.

Rob - sorry to hear that - what other rule sets would you suggest?

I had thought of using Mordheim for this period myself sometime ago.

And on the same theme - Mordheim humans or Warhammer Empire troops (especially militia) would work for this period as a warband.

I think any missing character from the rules will be added by the Campaign setting. I also note we will need to have some house-rules for Gunpowder weapons as they are specifically exclude from the rule book.

Regarding the cost - I am sure there will be enough rule books around to share a bit if the campaign takes off.

Finally you can get a PDF version for £15 - so slightly smaller outlay.

Rob Farley

December 15, 2016, 09:09:48 pm #13 Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:58:32 pm by Rob Farley
For a generic set of skirmish rules for this sort of sized game, I'd go with En Garde from Osprey. Much more detail in the combat rules, it actually feels swashbucklery (is that a word?). And it even has a list for Border Reiver warbands.

Alternatively, In Her Majesty's Name using the Blood and Faith genre pack (free download), also from Osprey. Less detail than En Garde, more than Open Combat.

Both also have alternating activation rather than IGOUGO, and full rules for gunpowder.  And because both are from Osprey they only cost £12 at most.

Mordheim humans would be ideal, it's a shame GW discontinued them.

And I don't pay for PDFs unless that's the only way to get the rules. I hate not having a hard copy.

Carl Fisher

I must check out En Garde - as I like the Osprey rules in general, so another random purchase from Amazon! I added Dragon Rampant as well!