Peterborough Wargames Club

Games => Campaigns => Topic started by: Rob Farley on February 26, 2018, 12:11:18 am

Title: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on February 26, 2018, 12:11:18 am
I'm putting this here so we can discuss the all-day game. I've got most of it planned out, but some of it will have to be sorted on the day as we don't know people's final allegiances or even how many factions will be left standing at the end of all this (although Tom's run out of Targaryens to kill off, which helps :P).

The plan is to do a final round of standard games in the morning followed by the second battle of the Trident in the afternoon (we have that big river, so why not), with the winning faction siezing control of the Iron Throne. This will be the Bloodbath scenario on an 8'x6' table (possibly bigger, not sure yet), and with a few tweaks to setup zones and turn sequence to account for all the players and factions. I'm expecting it to be a bit chaotic.

Boasts will work as normal, but a few of them will need tweaking/clarifying for use with multiple sides. Some will get considerably more difficult as a result, I don't think any will get significantly easier. ;D

If anyone's got any questions, just ask.

Also, I know Shawn can't make it on the day. If anyone else is going to miss it, please let us know ASAP.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Grahame on February 26, 2018, 06:36:53 pm
The wildlings will not be there
Grahame
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: AndyHawes on February 26, 2018, 06:49:43 pm
Still unsure about whether I'll be able to make this. Will do my best...
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on February 27, 2018, 10:58:41 pm
So, the forces (as I understand them) are shaping up as follows:

Declared for King Joffrey (either directly or indirectly)
House Lannister - Pippa
House Bolton - Andy M2
House Manderley - Ash

Declared for King Stannis
[House Baratheon - Kevin]
House Mallister - Dan
[House Arryn - Andy H]

Declared for Balon Greyjoy
House Greyjoy - Andy B
[House Harlaw - Shawn]

Undeclared
[Dothraki raiders - Tom]
House Uller - Rob
The Night's Watch - Mike
House Tyrell - Carl
[House Tarbeck - Gary]

Anyone in brackets is someone who may not be able to make it.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Gary Martin on February 28, 2018, 06:34:24 pm
I should be able to make it.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Mike Whitaker on February 28, 2018, 09:39:32 pm
The Night's Watch will do a Stanley.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on February 28, 2018, 10:07:42 pm
Quote from: Mike Whitaker on February 28, 2018, 09:39:32 pm
The Night's Watch will do a Stanley.

?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Carl Fisher on March 01, 2018, 08:42:23 am
Stand on a hill and wait to see who is winning, then charge in to "save" the day, and be rewarded by Henry Tudor. Bosworth 22 august 1485.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Mike Whitaker on March 01, 2018, 01:55:07 pm
Quote from: Carl Fisher on March 01, 2018, 08:42:23 am
Stand on a hill and wait to see who is winning, then charge in to "save" the day, and be rewarded by Henry Tudor. Bosworth 22 august 1485.


That.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Carl Fisher on March 01, 2018, 02:25:44 pm
Quote from: Mike Whitaker on March 01, 2018, 01:55:07 pm
Quote from: Carl Fisher on March 01, 2018, 08:42:23 am
Stand on a hill and wait to see who is winning, then charge in to "save" the day, and be rewarded by Henry Tudor. Bosworth 22 august 1485.


That.


Rob - please provide a suitable hill - large enough for the Night's Watch!
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 12, 2018, 05:10:08 pm
I've finished sorting out the boasts and quests, and also put together the scenario. Let me know what you think.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Andy Mellor on March 13, 2018, 07:03:55 am
Hi Rob
Couple of questions.
1) Are neutrals subject to wild charges, both as targets and controlling their own units?
2) can campaign glory be spent to influence the battle? I.e. respawning units, moving neutral units (Lannister's pay their debts), taking an extra turn etc?
These would only be available to factions declared at the beginning of the battle, as they bring everything to the field and stop fence sitting until everyone else is crippled?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 10:06:43 am
Several boasts say "You must rout/destroy the highest points value unit from all the enemy forces on the table". Assuming the "You" refers to the player not the faction this means that only 1 player from each faction can win any of these?

Also what if "the highest points value unit from all the enemy forces on the table" changes in play? (ie a fence sitting player joins a faction and has a higher value unit than any unit already in that faction).

Can a player change factions during the game?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 11:05:38 am
Quote from: Andy Mellor on March 13, 2018, 07:03:55 am
Hi Rob
Couple of questions.
1) Are neutrals subject to wild charges, both as targets and controlling their own units?

No. Players that have not joined a faction do not take a turn so there is no opportunity for them to make wild charges.
Quote from: Andy Mellor on March 13, 2018, 07:03:55 am2) can campaign glory be spent to influence the battle? I.e. respawning units, moving neutral units (Lannister's pay their debts), taking an extra turn etc?
These would only be available to factions declared at the beginning of the battle, as they bring everything to the field and stop fence sitting until everyone else is crippled?

No. Glory is purely used to determine the individual winner (as opposed to the winning faction) and for bragging rights.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 11:17:35 am
Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 10:06:43 am
Several boasts say "You must rout/destroy the highest points value unit from all the enemy forces on the table". Assuming the "You" refers to the player not the faction this means that only 1 player from each faction can win any of these?

Correct. Some coordination with your co-commanders may be in order. Or alternatively, a little competition is good for the soul.
Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 10:06:43 amAlso what if "the highest points value unit from all the enemy forces on the table" changes in play? (ie a fence sitting player joins a faction and has a higher value unit than any unit already in that faction).

It seems unlikely to be an issue given the forces involved (the Night's Watch don't have expensive units) but I guess it's possible. So let's make it the highest points value unit at the time you select your boast, since there'll probably be a tie and you'll have to write down your specific target anyway.

Neutral forces that declare this kind of boast should probably avoid allying with their target. :D
Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 10:06:43 amCan a player change factions during the game?

No. It would be very appropriate to the scenario, but just too much of a headache to work out.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 12:17:01 pm
Quote from: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 11:17:35 am
Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 10:06:43 am
Several boasts say "You must rout/destroy the highest points value unit from all the enemy forces on the table". Assuming the "You" refers to the player not the faction this means that only 1 player from each faction can win any of these?

Correct. Some coordination with your co-commanders may be in order. Or alternatively, a little competition is good for the soul.
Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 10:06:43 amAlso what if "the highest points value unit from all the enemy forces on the table" changes in play? (ie a fence sitting player joins a faction and has a higher value unit than any unit already in that faction).

It seems unlikely to be an issue given the forces involved (the Night's Watch don't have expensive units) but I guess it's possible. So let's make it the highest points value unit at the time you select your boast, since there'll probably be a tie and you'll have to write down your specific target anyway.

Good point, I was confusing the Nights Watch list with the Northern list (Level-Headed Elite Riders).

Quote from: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 11:17:35 am
Neutral forces that declare this kind of boast should probably avoid allying with their target. :D

Isn't allying with your target a standard tactic in GoT?  ;D

Quote from: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 11:17:35 am
Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 13, 2018, 10:06:43 amCan a player change factions during the game?

No. It would be very appropriate to the scenario, but just too much of a headache to work out.

Shame, the amount of paranoia that allowing that would cause would be hilarious!
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Mike Whitaker on March 13, 2018, 06:53:31 pm
Quote from: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 11:17:35 am(the Night's Watch don't have expensive units)


Define 'expensive'?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 09:50:40 pm
Quote from: Mike Whitaker on March 13, 2018, 06:53:31 pm
Quote from: Rob Farley on March 13, 2018, 11:17:35 am(the Night's Watch don't have expensive units)


Define 'expensive'?

More than 6 points per unit.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Andy Mellor on March 14, 2018, 08:49:28 am
So with no Dragon turning up and as Dan says elite level headed knights might be the most expensive unit on the table. Roose Bolton is leading the scouts!!!!!
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 14, 2018, 02:04:14 pm
Quote from: Andy Mellor on March 14, 2018, 08:49:28 am
So with no Dragon turning up and as Dan says elite level headed knights might be the most expensive unit on the table. Roose Bolton is leading the scouts!!!!!

That seems entirely appropriate. As does all of the various vengeance-related boasts targetting the Boltons. ;D
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 14, 2018, 09:31:41 pm
Ok, for the benefit of those who weren't there on Monday (and for those who weren't paying attention and/or have already forgotten) this is the plan for Sunday.

Mike will be opening up at 9:00, I'm subject to the vagaries of the Sunday bus schedule and I'll be getting there at about 9:45 (so, shortly before Dan). I'd like to crack on with the first games as soon as I get there, so could people please set up 6 tables as per a normal Monday night.

We'll be starting with a final round of one-on-one battles in the morning, then breaking for lunch at about 12ish. Over lunch, we'll set up the table for the big battle and kick off as soon as we're ready to go.

Please can anyone who's not going to make it let us know beforehand. I don't want to be waiting around for someone to turn up if they just can't be bothered to let us know. Right now, I know we're missing Grahame and Shawn but I think everyone else is coming. Am I right?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Godbold on March 15, 2018, 09:23:50 am
Rob,please accept my apologies as I won't be able to make Sunday.I have a family gathering this weekend to celebrate a couple of birthdays....one that is very important! I was looking forward to the campaign day and enjoyed the gaming experience of Direwolf Rampant.Thankyou for organising the event Rob.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Pippa Peile on March 15, 2018, 11:51:58 am
I thought Tom said he wasn't going to be able to make it but I could be wrong.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Pippa Peile on March 15, 2018, 12:45:00 pm
Also, as mentioned, we are intending on doing a cash and carry run on the way in. They open at 9am so we will get to you as soon as possible after this.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 15, 2018, 08:33:21 pm
Quote from: Pippa Peile on March 15, 2018, 11:51:58 am
I thought Tom said he wasn't going to be able to make it but I could be wrong.

That's news to me. Tom, can you confirm either way please.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Tom G on March 16, 2018, 07:28:24 am
Quote from: Rob Farley on March 15, 2018, 08:33:21 pm
Quote from: Pippa Peile on March 15, 2018, 11:51:58 am
I thought Tom said he wasn't going to be able to make it but I could be wrong.

That's news to me. Tom, can you confirm either way please.


This is correct. I was planning on attending although something has come up and I was waiting on confirmation that I would not be able to attend which I now have. Apologies for the late notice.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Andy Mellor on March 16, 2018, 10:28:12 am
Rob, could you go through the turn sequence for Me?
After dicing to find the attacker would all the armies in that faction get a turn or just one army from that faction? Ie. Joffrey wins the role off and then me, Pippa and Ash go, followed by the Stannis faction having thier goes and finally by the delusional, undesided and  oath breakers?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Mike Whitaker on March 16, 2018, 11:50:39 am
It looks as though I may have to bail around 3:30 - very short notice band gig in Skeggy which we can't turn down...

I'll be there to open up and for a goodly chunk of the day, and if the Night Watch survive past then (which is not necessarily possible, given my current campaign score) I'll happily hand them over to whoever I'm allied with by then.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 16, 2018, 02:53:51 pm
Quote from: Andy Mellor on March 16, 2018, 10:28:12 am
Rob, could you go through the turn sequence for Me?
After dicing to find the attacker would all the armies in that faction get a turn or just one army from that faction? Ie. Joffrey wins the role off and then me, Pippa and Ash go, followed by the Stannis faction having thier goes and finally by the delusional, undesided and  oath breakers?

That's basically right. There's no reason why multiple players can't act simultaneously so long as they're not attacking the same target. But each of the neutral players will get their own turn rather than acting at the same time, so they've got the freedom to attack each other as well.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 16, 2018, 08:01:02 pm
Ok, so this is my current understanding of who's turning up on Sunday.

Declared for King Joffrey (either directly or indirectly)
House Lannister - Pippa
House Bolton - Andy M2
House Manderley - Ash

Declared for King Stannis
House Mallister - Dan
House Arryn - Andy H

Declared for Balon Greyjoy
House Greyjoy - Andy B

Undeclared
House Uller - Rob
The Night's Watch - Mike
House Tyrell - Carl
House Tarbeck - Gary

If there are any changes to this list, please let me know ASAP.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Andrew Beer on March 17, 2018, 01:18:28 pm
What time do we need to be at the club?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 17, 2018, 01:27:45 pm
Quote from: Rob Farley on March 14, 2018, 09:31:41 pm
Ok, for the benefit of those who weren't there on Monday (and for those who weren't paying attention and/or have already forgotten) this is the plan for Sunday.

Mike will be opening up at 9:00, I'm subject to the vagaries of the Sunday bus schedule and I'll be getting there at about 9:45 (so, shortly before Dan). I'd like to crack on with the first games as soon as I get there, so could people please set up 6 tables as per a normal Monday night.

We'll be starting with a final round of one-on-one battles in the morning, then breaking for lunch at about 12ish. Over lunch, we'll set up the table for the big battle and kick off as soon as we're ready to go.

Please can anyone who's not going to make it let us know beforehand. I don't want to be waiting around for someone to turn up if they just can't be bothered to let us know. Right now, I know we're missing Grahame and Shawn but I think everyone else is coming. Am I right?
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Mike Whitaker on March 17, 2018, 03:24:02 pm
You are missing Mr Hawes as well, in case you missed that you were missing him.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Rob Farley on March 17, 2018, 07:03:51 pm
Quote from: Mike Whitaker on March 17, 2018, 03:24:02 pm
You are missing Mr Hawes as well, in case you missed that you were missing him.

It's not a case of missing it, more a case of never being told despite me asking repeatedly. >:(

It's not a difficult question. If I've got you on the list and you're not actually going to be there tomorrow then please let me know.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Daniel Phillips on March 18, 2018, 06:34:08 pm
Had a great time, thanks again to Rob for running this.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Carl Fisher on March 19, 2018, 07:55:57 am
I agree. Thanks to all.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Gary Martin on March 19, 2018, 09:02:51 am
Quote from: Daniel Phillips on March 18, 2018, 06:34:08 pm
Had a great time, thanks again to Rob for running this.
Ditto Thanks Rob
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: Andrew Beer on March 19, 2018, 08:08:08 pm
Thank you all for a fun day.
Title: Re: Campaign Finale - All-Day Game - March 18th
Post by: AndyHawes on March 22, 2018, 01:24:52 pm
Quote from: Rob Farley on March 17, 2018, 07:03:51 pm
Quote from: Mike Whitaker on March 17, 2018, 03:24:02 pm
You are missing Mr Hawes as well, in case you missed that you were missing him.

It's not a case of missing it, more a case of never being told despite me asking repeatedly. >:(

It's not a difficult question. If I've got you on the list and you're not actually going to be there tomorrow then please let me know.


Apologies. It may have escaped everyone's notice, but my gaming attendance has been patchy to non-existent recently. This is simply due to having more commitments than I know what to do with to the extent that pushing toy soldiers round a table has dropped way down the list. I simply forgot about letting you know about Sunday. I know I shouldn't have, but there we are. Apologies once again.

For what it's worth, the campaign was good. The games I had were fun and the rule changes added a different dimension that enhanced rather than detracted.